PDA

View Full Version : 20 rep squats!

Keith
06-29-2007, 08:21 PM
During this hectic session of squats, I will sometimes get this sharp pain from the back of my neck then right through my head. It's like an instant migraine and a strain at the same time. I felt this at rep 18, then it killed at 19 so I had to stop. I still had a rep or two left in me so I could have completed it but I had to stop because of the pain. Once I dropped the bar not only did I feel like puking because of the intensity, but I had the worst pain in my head. It's hard to explain but like I said, it's like an instant migraine all throughout my head and it starts off like a shooting pain up my spine then right through my head. Any ideas on what this is? Anyone experienced this before?

Oh yeah, btw look very closely. YUP, that's 135lbs you see me squatting. Any damn idea why my squat is so weak?! Yes, I have gained 50lbs.
I love squats, I've been doing them with proper form for well over a year now. It just blows me away with how weak my squat is knowing how much extra special attention I have put into them with form and poundage. I know you have to have a strong set of glutes and hams but ****, I swear I have the weakest squats around.

That's just my rant. Feel free to critique on anything you like including the mohawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6SXSugZR9o

WillKuenzel
06-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Sounds like either you're pinching a nerve or you're squeezing your traps tight enough for it to radiate up your head, pulling on the frontalis and/or the temporalis. These muscles can cramp too leading to a migrane. Some migrane sufferers get this from tight traps or other muscle imbalances.

First thing I see is that the bar is sitting up awfully high on your neck. Try to get it to sit a little lower. I get mine to sit below the traps, above the rear delts.

Keith
06-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I know it's not a matter of squeezing the traps too tight but pinching a nerve definately is a possibility.

I sit the bar that high because that's where it's most comfortable on my traps. But I'll try going lower next time because I can see that making a difference. Like I said before, the pain starts where the bar is so I'll lower it next time.

dw06wu
06-29-2007, 08:48 PM
I dunno, I like mine high. I've never had a nerve pinching headache problem. Maybe you just need to develop your traps a little more. Is it sitting on that nubbin in your neck? That would probably be the source of the issue.

WillKuenzel
06-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Good thread from Sensei:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71389

I generally find that the bar needs to sit lower. You sit up tall even while squatting deep so flexibility won't be an issue. It might feel uncomfortable at first but keep at it, it'll make it easier in the long run.

What do you squat, by the way? Doing 135 for 19 reps ain't bad. You've got good endurance are you looking for more strength?

ddegroff
06-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Try lowering the bar on your back.

Also, on some of the reps it looked like lose a bit of your arch. It looks like the glute's "tuck under". The Squat Rx #1 in the bb forum will help that. It wasn't every rep but some of them.

It took me a long time to figure out how hard I could push myself on squats. Once you figure how hard you can push yourself your numbers will go up.

Keith
06-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I dunno, I like mine high. I've never had a nerve pinching headache problem. Maybe you just need to develop your traps a little more. Is it sitting on that nubbin in your neck? That would probably be the source of the issue.

What's a nubbin? I believe I sit it right on the belly of my traps. But like everyone else stated, I'll try lowering the positioning of the bar, that should help.

Good thread from Sensei:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71389

I generally find that the bar needs to sit lower. You sit up tall even while squatting deep so flexibility won't be an issue. It might feel uncomfortable at first but keep at it, it'll make it easier in the long run.

What do you squat, by the way? Doing 135 for 19 reps ain't bad. You've got good endurance are you looking for more strength?

I squat 200lbs. But that's also at a wider stance then what is in the video. I've had it lower before and it did feel uncomfortable so I switched back. I'll switch it up again though and stick with it for a few weeks because there's not much else I can do.

Try lowering the bar on your back.

Also, on some of the reps it looked like lose a bit of your arch. It looks like the glute's "tuck under". The Squat Rx #1 in the bb forum will help that. It wasn't every rep but some of them.

It took me a long time to figure out how hard I could push myself on squats. Once you figure how hard you can push yourself your numbers will go up.

This is one thing I've REALLY started working on as well. After seeing the instructional video sensei posted on squatting (forget the name of it) about keeping a tight arch all through especially at the bottom, I figured out this is why my lower back was fatiguing very quickly in comparison to my thighs/glutes. I did kind of notice this on certain reps in the video though. Something I think I'll always continue practicing and keeping in mind throughout the every set.

Stumprrp
06-29-2007, 11:09 PM
not sure on that pain man gonna have to just lower the bar placement.

however your form is really good.

Indifference
06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
I used to put the bar up there too when I squatted... I couldnt ever squat over about 285ish... I dropped it down to my rear delts about a month ago and I put up a new PR of 355 yesterday

try it with the bar lower man it will help you loads and probably fix what is giving you those migraines

Tofer
06-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Hell of an effort, man.

I never thought of playing the Requiem for a Dream Remix while lifting, but that would really pump me up.

Gunshow
06-30-2007, 02:41 PM
good form, 20 rep squats are insane, i'm just going back to that program this week... i got up to 185 and now i wanna get up to 225x20... can't help with the head issue i've never had that, maybe go see a physiotherapist(sp?)

Keith
07-02-2007, 01:10 PM
not sure on that pain man gonna have to just lower the bar placement.

however your form is really good.

Thanks man.

I used to put the bar up there too when I squatted... I couldnt ever squat over about 285ish... I dropped it down to my rear delts about a month ago and I put up a new PR of 355 yesterday

try it with the bar lower man it will help you loads and probably fix what is giving you those migraines

Lol wow, not sure if that was just because of the bar placement but that's quite a jump! Congrats on that. I'll definately do that next time though and see how it goes.

Hell of an effort, man.

I never thought of playing the Requiem for a Dream Remix while lifting, but that would really pump me up.

Thanks, my music is something else man. I got a ton of, I guess you could call it, 'intense classical' music. That or SOAD I'll listen to while I train.

good form, 20 rep squats are insane, i'm just going back to that program this week... i got up to 185 and now i wanna get up to 225x20... can't help with the head issue i've never had that, maybe go see a physiotherapist(sp?)

Thanks dude, and yes, they are one of the most brutal things you can do in the gym. If you can hit 315x1 I'm sure you could hit 225x20. Good luck bro!

Gunshow
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks dude, and yes, they are one of the most brutal things you can do in the gym. If you can hit 315x1 I'm sure you could hit 225x20. Good luck bro!

you would think so, but i cant lol. i did them yesterday and got 185 x18.

-Superman-
07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
You look big enough to squat a lot more. You got excellent form but I would lower the bar down from your neck. Overall, good stuff! :thumbup:

Keith
07-02-2007, 02:18 PM
You look big enough to squat a lot more. You got excellent form but I would lower the bar down from your neck. Overall, good stuff! :thumbup:

Lol ya, I get that a lot.

Thank you.

-Superman-
07-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Lol ya, I get that a lot.

Thank you.

Is that your back in your avatar? Also, I know what you mean by the pain in the neck. I hit and created a pinch nerve last month after a day of heavy squatting and incorrectly placing the bar about 0.5" too high. The next 2-3 days I couldn't move my head and in certain positions, my whole body would go numb. I was going crazy and almost went to the hospital. It is weird how less than an inch difference can do that much damage.

BBB
07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I get headaches on leg day too - but no sharp shooting pains. Squat headaches I call them - and yeah - I get them more from the high volume stuff. I take a couple of excedrin with me on leg day now.

And as far as the puking goes - it hasn't been a good leg day until you puke...suck it up and do a set of 100 leg presses after your squats and let me know how that feels.

Keith
07-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Is that your back in your avatar? Also, I know what you mean by the pain in the neck. I hit and created a pinch nerve last month after a day of heavy squatting and incorrectly placing the bar about 0.5" too high. The next 2-3 days I couldn't move my head and in certain positions, my whole body would go numb. I was going crazy and almost went to the hospital. It is weird how less than an inch difference can do that much damage.

Yeah that's me in my avatar about 9 months ago I think. The pain is instant though, never hurts me the following day. Maybe it's a different pain but still, injuring the neck is not fun!

I get headaches on leg day too - but no sharp shooting pains. Squat headaches I call them - and yeah - I get them more from the high volume stuff. I take a couple of excedrin with me on leg day now.

And as far as the puking goes - it hasn't been a good leg day until you puke...suck it up and do a set of 100 leg presses after your squats and let me know how that feels.

Ha, I know all about it dude. I wasn't complaining about the sickness, just the pain.

BBB
07-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Did you just call me dude? :scratch:

Invain
07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Dudette.

I've actually had that same sharp pain before keith, when I used to squat with just the bar on my traps. I've used a mantaray for a long time now and haven't had any problems.

Btw, nice boots :D

RedSpikeyThing
07-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't know a whole lot about the 20 rep squat program, but I was under the impression you should be using your 12 RM, then forcing out 20 reps. If that's the case, then you need to put some more weight on the bar - rep #12 was way too easy.
In terms of form, it looks like you GM a few of them. You should work on keeping a tight core and try building up your glutes and hams. SLDLs and GMs are great.

PS Your avatar is sick!

Keith
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Did you just call me dude? :scratch:

I totally meant to call you dudette (thanks Invain) but I just left out 3 letters. :p

Dudette.

I've actually had that same sharp pain before keith, when I used to squat with just the bar on my traps. I've used a mantaray for a long time now and haven't had any problems.

Btw, nice boots :D

I did a search on the mantaray and looks like something I'll look into if the pain continues after I lower the bar placement. I love my boots!

I don't know a whole lot about the 20 rep squat program, but I was under the impression you should be using your 12 RM, then forcing out 20 reps. If that's the case, then you need to put some more weight on the bar - rep #12 was way too easy.
In terms of form, it looks like you GM a few of them. You should work on keeping a tight core and try building up your glutes and hams. SLDLs and GMs are great.

PS Your avatar is sick!

The 20 rep session is actually used with your 5 rep max. But yes, I could be using heavier weight but as of now, no. This is something I have to get used to because I believe it's more to do with muscular endurance which I could definately improve on because I have never really trained in that rep range before. I don't think my squats look like a GM at all but that's me, I may post another vid in a week or two in this thread but with the camera at a side angle. I've been doing SLDLs and GMs for quite some time now so I guess it's just a matter of playing the waiting game from here on out.
Thanks for the compliment!

RedSpikeyThing
07-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't think my squats look like a GM at all but that's me

I just rewatched the video - I don't what I saw before :confused:

Keith
07-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Lol, either way, I'll still throw another vid in from a side angle in the next couple of weeks.

Mad Max
07-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Excellent effort, excellent form.

I would say that for a high bar placement, your stance was a little wide. I also squat high bar olympic style, and find I can generally push more with a narrower stance. I suspect this may be due to the fact that with such a high bar placement, you are not able to recruit glutes/hams all that effectively, so you may as well have a narrower stance more favourable to the quads.
But that's just my speculation.

Keith
07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Excellent effort, excellent form.

I would say that for a high bar placement, your stance was a little wide. I also squat high bar olympic style, and find I can generally push more with a narrower stance. I suspect this may be due to the fact that with such a high bar placement, you are not able to recruit glutes/hams all that effectively, so you may as well have a narrower stance more favourable to the quads.
But that's just my speculation.

Thanks!

Why would the bar placement have anything to due with my stance? I've heard this before and I don't understand. I thought the bar placement just had to do with personal preference in which is more comfortable to squat with.

Mad Max
07-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Well I'm no expert, but generally speaking powerlifters who want to squat as much as they can will place the bar lower on their back, around their rear delts. This almost always involves a wide stance, at least the width you were using in that vid. Both the bar placement and the stance allow you to use your glutes and hams more effectively.
High bar placement, with an upright position like you, is more of a quad dominant method, meaning a narrower stance is preferred as this is favourable for the quads, no wider that what you were using usually.
I'd recommend sticking with your bar placement, but trying a narrower stance, it may help, it may not.

Mad Max
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I might want to add that I haven't actually read anywhere that a wide stance is less optimal for a high bar placement, but from my experience and the vids I've watched this would seem to be the case.

Keith
07-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Well I'm no expert, but generally speaking powerlifters who want to squat as much as they can will place the bar lower on their back, around their rear delts. This almost always involves a wide stance, at least the width you were using in that vid. Both the bar placement and the stance allow you to use your glutes and hams more effectively.
High bar placement, with an upright position like you, is more of a quad dominant method, meaning a narrower stance is preferred as this is favourable for the quads, no wider that what you were using usually.
I'd recommend sticking with your bar placement, but trying a narrower stance, it may help, it may not.

I know powerlifters who want to squat as much as they possibly can go as wide as possible because more of the glutes and hams are being used then the quads. The whole point to my thread though was the pain I'm getting in my neck. So why would you recommend sticking with the bar placement I'm currently using but with a narrower stance?

I might want to add that I haven't actually read anywhere that a wide stance is less optimal for a high bar placement, but from my experience and the vids I've watched this would seem to be the case.

Same with me. I was hoping for a detailed answer on that..

Phenom
07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't know how you high bar guys do that. The pain would kill if I put it that high. Anyway, nice set. My only suggestion would be stay standing if possible. I know you said you felt sick and your head hurt, but staying on your feet will help with your breathing and toughen you up a bit, in a sense. :thumbup:

Keith
07-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know how you high bar guys do that. The pain would kill if I put it that high. Anyway, nice set. My only suggestion would be stay standing if possible. I know you said you felt sick and your head hurt, but staying on your feet will help with your breathing and toughen you up a bit, in a sense. :thumbup:

No, standing won't 'toughen' me up. My set was done, I gave it my all during the set, after the set was done do whatever the **** you want. Heck, resting in anyway in between sets will benefit you if anything.

Phenom
07-03-2007, 07:35 PM
No, standing won't 'toughen' me up. My set was done, I gave it my all during the set, after the set was done do whatever the **** you want. Heck, resting in anyway in between sets will benefit you if anything.

How about you chill, I was just offering my advice. Suit yourself though. Just figured being able to go to complete failure and still remain standing wouldn't be such a bad trait.

Edit: Couple questions for you, how does collapsing to the ground benefit you? I was under the impression that not giving up when the body wants to fall down does you some good (not only for physical strength and toughness but will power as well). How about you try it for a few workouts before refusing the idea?

Keith
07-03-2007, 08:01 PM
How about you chill, I was just offering my advice. Suit yourself though. Just figured being able to go to complete failure and still remain standing wouldn't be such a bad trait.

Edit: Couple questions for you, how does collapsing to the ground benefit you? I was under the impression that not giving up when the body wants to fall down does you some good (not only for physical strength and toughness but will power as well). How about you try it for a few workouts before refusing the idea?

Settle down dude.

I never meant it in an attacking way so relax. I explained it all in my last post but I guess I'll still have to clear things up. Standing won't benefit me once my set is done whatsoever. Like I said before, I gave it my all during that set. Like I said if anything, it would benefit you because while you're sitting and resting will save you that much more energy for your next set/exercise. Not that it will make a big difference (hence why I said IF anything) but suggesting that I stand really doesn't make sense. But hey, if you want to stand in between your intense sets of squats, go for it! Even if I don't collapse, I'll still sit on a bench in between sets. Save your energy and strength dude, shouldn't be too hard to understand.

Keith
07-10-2007, 07:58 PM
DAMN IT!!!

The same thing happened again tonight. I tried lowering the bar placement and never thought it would feel so damn unnatural and uncomfortable!! This time I made it to 15 reps before the same pain kicked in. It felt if I went any lower it would just slide right down my back. I tried keeping it on or right above my rear delts but when it was that low I felt like I was only holding it up from my hands or I would have to bend far too much forward to keep it on my back. Any tips on holding it when it's low?

Should I cool it down with the weight/reps for a while and practice with a lower bar placement or see a doc about this?

Keith
07-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Anyone?

Rock Steady
07-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Hell of an effort, man.

I don't mean to hijack - but is this song not on iTunes? I can't find it for the life of me!

Bako Lifter
07-12-2007, 01:17 AM
I don't mean to hijack - but is this song not on iTunes? I can't find it for the life of me!
LOL @ the off topicness.

Keith - You could always use the fag pad. Have you tried that? Of course it would mean you're a complete wuss, but I think it'd be worth it :p.

Keith
07-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Not sure if it's on iTunes but you do need the song! I'm the king of intense classical music. If you want songs, just ask. You'll have to download them yourself though :p

LOL @ the off topicness.

Keith - You could always use the fag pad. Have you tried that? Of course it would mean you're a complete wuss, but I think it'd be worth it :p.

Fag pad?! NOOOOO!! Nevaaaaa! I'd rather fight through the pain and get to the bottom of this before I use that thing.