PDA

View Full Version : Slim Fast After Every Meal?

jed
06-30-2007, 12:21 PM
My friend claims that for about 2 weeks now he has been drinking a Slim Fast Shake after every breakfast, lunch and dinner and has gained 12 lbs. I understand these are supposed to suppliment for meals and it would seem like 6 meals a day as opposed to 3, but the nutrition facts show like 10g protein and 5g fiber? They don't even show the calories or fat or carbs on the website but I'm sure their pretty low... I understand there's alot of sugar in these, but sugar has never really affected me that much and I'm pretty active every day. I also understand that it has things that make some people hungrier, wich would help me out even more!!!

If it would work that would be great to try, I'm trying to bulk and it seems like it would work but almost seems too good to be true. Is it possible or is he just a liar? Thanks.

PS : I also know there has been other threads similar, they have helped but haven't answered my question.

Mr. D
06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
If you are just going for cals, itd work. You could make your own meal replacement shakes as well with higher protein and good fats.

jed
06-30-2007, 12:30 PM
I would also most likely drink my whey shake with ~60g protein and like 450 cals every night, too. I just can't stand drinking one of those 3 times a day though.

Mr. D
06-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Then dont drink it. There isnt anything magical about it other than cals.

Get cals in anywhere you like and how you like.

Ohh to be young again.

jed
06-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Dont drink the slimfast? Isn't there some cans that have like 20g protein for each one? That's pretty good, isn't it?

Mr. D
06-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I would also most likely drink my whey shake with ~60g protein and like 450 cals every night, too. I just can't stand drinking one of those 3 times a day though.

I was just saying if you dont like the taste then there isnt a need to drink it. I dont know the nutritional content of the can, but im sure you could match it in a way thats cheaper and tastes better.

You are looking for cals, this can be done with any way with a combo of milk,peanut butter,protein powder,oats, etc.

jed
06-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok thanks Mr.D. I think next time I head to town I'll look at the nutrition facts and if theres a decent amount of cals carbs protein etc. I'll try one out and see if I like it.

Do you think maybe a good idea would be to blend a Slimfast with a scoop of whey to give it like +150 cals and +20g protein?

SDS
06-30-2007, 09:24 PM
That'd be a helluva TV ad......"I gained 12 lbs with Slim Fast!"

Mr. D
06-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Ok thanks Mr.D. I think next time I head to town I'll look at the nutrition facts and if theres a decent amount of cals carbs protein etc. I'll try one out and see if I like it.

Do you think maybe a good idea would be to blend a Slimfast with a scoop of whey to give it like +150 cals and +20g protein?

haha why are you so fascinated with the slim fast???

Add 10 oz skim milk and another half scoop whey and you accomplish the same thing.

jed
06-30-2007, 10:56 PM
haha why are you so fascinated with the slim fast???

Add 10 oz skim milk and another half scoop whey and you accomplish the same thing.

IDK virtually NOTHING has worked for me to gain weight this summer and I'm wanting to try this as a last resort. I mean if this kid really even gained 5 pounds, that's better than what I've been able to gain in 3 months!

TopCat
06-30-2007, 11:38 PM
I use to think I couldnt gain weight either. You are just not eating enough. Try eating until you are stuffed every meal. Force feed yourself all day and you will gain weight if thats what you want. Last fall I ate until I just about puked every meal of the day. Gained 30 lbs in 4 months, obviously a good amount was fat but it was good too know I could gain weight :D

jed
06-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah I've honestly been doing that for 9 months now... I got up to gaining 19 lbs but then lost 8 come summer I was 189 now I'm 181... I've also lost appetite this summer for some reason...

Mr. D
06-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Jed,

Post your current diet with quantities of course.

jed
07-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I have no diet. I just eat random types of food whenever I can. I get atleast 3 meals a day, wether it be a frozen pizza at noon, then a sandwich with pasta and milk at like 4, then a hearty supper at about 8, along with random crap throughout the day like poptarts, chips, and junk that makes the average American gain weight... then a ~60 g protein shake with about 400 cals every night. I used to do a fitday, but I gave up after I miraculously lost 9 lbs within 2 weeks maintaining my normal caloric intake and protein/fat/carb intake...

CarlP
07-01-2007, 05:13 AM
I have no diet. I just eat random types of food whenever I can. I get atleast 3 meals a day, wether it be a frozen pizza at noon, then a sandwich with pasta and milk at like 4, then a hearty supper at about 8, along with random crap throughout the day like poptarts, chips, and junk that makes the average American gain weight... then a ~60 g protein shake with about 400 cals every night. I used to do a fitday, but I gave up after I miraculously lost 9 lbs within 2 weeks maintaining my normal caloric intake and protein/fat/carb intake...

If that isn't working, eat more.

Al3X
07-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Your friend is gaining weight, because the consumption of food isn't 'burnt' off.

jed
07-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Ah I suppose that could be true, he never lifts or does any sports now that he's out of school...

CarlP
07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Ah I suppose that could be true, he never lifts or does any sports now that he's out of school...

It is true, unless your body violates laws of thermodynamics, consume more calories than you burn and you will store the excess as muscle, fat, etc.