PDA

View Full Version : Help me with gaining!!!!

j_man_honda
06-30-2007, 03:52 PM
So here's the deal. I am 19 years old, (6'1/170 lbs.) and have been working out for about 2.5 years. When I started I was about 140 lbs. and have been putting on weight very slowly. I want to bulk up to about 200 and I am stuck at 170. I am very busy at work everyday and I don't have time to eat what or when I want. I drink cytogainer in the morning and musclemilk at night. My meals are usually subway sandwiches, hamburgers, etc. So my question is, what else can I do to gain some lean mass and bulk up? Any quick, high calorie concoctions I can cook up? Thanks guys for any help. Here is a current pic,

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/j_man_honda/me003.jpg

Unholy
06-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Eat more you little whiner.

Unholy
06-30-2007, 04:02 PM
sorry that came off a bit harsh, but yea, eat more. I am busy at work but there is always enough time in the day to eat.

Blade55
06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Get more calories. It's really that simple.

I'd recommend Universal Nutrition Real Gains for your weightgainer instead of the two you're using because you get more bang for your buck. Or if you're rich, buy Maximus.

Mr. D
06-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I seriously hate the guys who complain about having to eat more.

Can you sip on stuff while you work?Look in the recipe section for homemade shakes. Those add up to 1000 cals there.

Sip on that during the day and voila! an extra 1000 cals to wat you are already eating.

Eat more calorically dense food: avocados,nuts,peanut butter,whole milk,whole cheese,steak.

And if you cant eat much during the day, then after your workout eat the days worth and make up for it. Just get the cals in, you dont need 5-6 smallers meals. You need the calories.

j_man_honda
06-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Get more calories. It's really that simple.

I'd recommend Universal Nutrition Real Gains for your weightgainer instead of the two you're using because you get more bang for your buck. Or if you're rich, buy Maximus.

I looked up the real gains that you suggested and it is higher than the cytogainer! You do get like 2 more servings but that is it. Do u guys think I need to switch my supplements up? I am currently using Cytogainer and Muscle Milk for weight gain, and Xyience NOX-CG3 for pre-workout energy supplement.

shazoo123
06-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I looked up the real gains that you suggested and it is higher than the cytogainer! You do get like 2 more servings but that is it. Do u guys think I need to switch my supplements up? I am currently using Cytogainer and Muscle Milk for weight gain, and Xyience NOX-CG3 for pre-workout energy supplement.

nope, not really. you just need to eat more.....aka more calories = weight gain

j_man_honda
06-30-2007, 08:20 PM
What do you guys think of ensure drinks? Are they a good quick, cheap source of calories and protien? I can get 6 of them at the store for around $6.50. Here are some nutrition facts:

Calories Total 230
from Fat 50
% Daily Value+
Total Fat 6 g 9
Saturated Fat 0.5 g 3
Cholesterol <5 mg <2
Sodium 290 mg 12
Potassium 500 mg 14
Total Carbohydrate 31 g 10
Dietary fiber <1 g <4
Sugars 21 g
Protein 12 g 24

% Daily Value
Vitamin A IU 25
Vitamin C mg 70
Vitamin D IU 35
Vitamin E IU 50
Vitamin K mcg 35

Mr. D
06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
So one kid devotes an entire thread to slimfast and another asks about ensure.

Seriously guys, do some searches there are so many options for homemade weight gainer shakes.

1 gallon of milk: $3.00
1 16-18oz jar of natty pb:$2.00
1 5lb tub of whey: $30
42 oz of oats: $2.00

Use those 4 ingredients in any combo you like to get your calories and fill your macros.

j_man_honda
07-01-2007, 08:42 AM
I know about the calories and protein in the things you listed but I can't exactly carry those things back and forth to work everyday. Just need to know if u guys would recommend ensure or something else like protein bars in between meals.

Mr. D
07-01-2007, 11:19 AM
you can make a shake or 2 in the morning and store in the work fridge?

Make 1-2 500-1000 calorie shakes.

j_man_honda
07-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeh I can probably do that. Should I put extra stuff in my shakes besides just the 4 scoops of Cytogainer? Such as pb, olive oil, etc.

Mr. D
07-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Milk, any level of fat your calories allow. You can add Pb,grounded oats, whatever it takes to get the cals added.

Blade55
07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I looked up the real gains that you suggested and it is higher than the cytogainer! You do get like 2 more servings but that is it.

Huh? It's $5 cheaper and you get 3 more servings.
Cytosport Cytogainer - $35 for 18 servings.
Real Gains - $30 for 21 servings.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gaintop.htm

The ingredients in Real Gains are superior too.

TopCat
07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Also if I remember correctly a lot of those gainers are loaded with sugar. Instead get whey and just add your choice of fruit to the shake. I personally love strawberries or bananas with my chocolate whey and PB.

Blade55
07-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I do both, homemade and brand name weightgainers. It's just easier after a workout when you're worn out to use a product like Real Gains or Maximus. I might try Maximus but the price is turning me off.

j_man_honda
07-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Good news! I'm up 2 pounds from Sunday.:clap: 172lbs.!!!:clap: Not stopping until 200!! When do you guys think I can get to 200lbs.? Nov.,Dec.,Jan.? I am 100% dedicated and will not stop.

Jeffreyk
07-05-2007, 02:08 PM
why the hell do u neeed a gainer?

Hatred
07-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I am stuck at 170. I am very busy at work everyday and I don't have time to eat what or when I want. I drink cytogainer in the morning and musclemilk at night. My meals are usually subway sandwiches, hamburgers, etc. So my question is, what else can I do to gain some lean mass and bulk up? Any quick, high calorie concoctions I can cook up? Thanks guys for any help. Here is a current pic,

^^^^^ This is what is wrong and why you are stuck.
Drop the "I can't" mentality or you are going to be staring that 170 in the face for a long ass time.

You MAKE the time to eat. You premix shakes. You TAKE YOUR PLREPLANNED MEALS TO WORK WITH YOU. none of this subway ****. There's a ton of stuff you can cook the night before. Plan tomorrow today and you'll achieve your goals.
Know exactly what you are putting in your mouth. all of it.

j_man_honda
07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the kick in the a** HATRED. I appreciate harsh criticism. And since my first post I have been pre-planning meals, etc.:micro: I've been eating like crazy. Not eating until I vomit, but until I feel uncomfortable.

Quick question: When am I supposed to weigh myself to get the most accurate measurement? Not sure.

RedSpikeyThing
07-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear you're making progress. The best advice you'll get for gaining wait is the first response you got

Eat more you little whiner.

Quick question: When am I supposed to weigh myself to get the most accurate measurement? Not sure.
First thing in the morning after emptying yourself.

Franco
07-06-2007, 03:27 AM
^^^^^ This is what is wrong and why you are stuck.
Drop the "I can't" mentality or you are going to be staring that 170 in the face for a long ass time.

You MAKE the time to eat. You premix shakes. You TAKE YOUR PLREPLANNED MEALS TO WORK WITH YOU. none of this subway ****. There's a ton of stuff you can cook the night before. Plan tomorrow today and you'll achieve your goals.
Know exactly what you are putting in your mouth. all of it.

Well said Josh.

What exactly do you do for work that doesn't allow you to eat properly?

j_man_honda
07-06-2007, 05:46 AM
I work on and sell cars at a used car lot.

Good news!!! I weighed myself this morning and I am up to 174lbs! That's 4lbs in 6 days! I hope I can keep gaining like this!:strong:

mikex1337
07-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Make sure you do it in moderation. Quick gains in weight is just as unhealthy as quick losses.

Hatred
07-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I work on and sell cars at a used car lot.

Good news!!! I weighed myself this morning and I am up to 174lbs! That's 4lbs in 6 days! I hope I can keep gaining like this!:strong:

Car salesman for 3.5 years here.
Shakes are your friend when it comes to not missing out on that magic up. 1100 cals can go down in 30 seconds like this. I hit 265lbs working at an Acura dealership.

Glad to hear about the progress but a lot of it is probably water. Don't gain too much too fast unless you like the sumobaby look.

j_man_honda
07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Car salesman for 3.5 years here.
Shakes are your friend when it comes to not missing out on that magic up. 1100 cals can go down in 30 seconds like this. I hit 265lbs working at an Acura dealership.

Glad to hear about the progress but a lot of it is probably water. Don't gain too much too fast unless you like the sumobaby look.

Yes I'm sure about half is just water. Do you think I am gaining too fast? I've been eating steak, rice, a lot of sandwiches, drinking my cytogainer, and eating until I feel uncomfortable. :burger: I'm definately eating more now than I ever have before. This won't all go to my gut will it? I am training harder than I ever have before also using the routine I posted above. I hope i gain more mass than fat during this bulk.

Bako Lifter
07-06-2007, 08:54 PM
1100 cals can go down in 30 seconds like this.

1,360 cals can go down in 10 seconds if you've seen the video in my journal :moon: .

LetsGrowTumors
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Yes I'm sure about half is just water. Do you think I am gaining too fast? I've been eating steak, rice, a lot of sandwiches, drinking my cytogainer, and eating until I feel uncomfortable. :burger: I'm definately eating more now than I ever have before. This won't all go to my gut will it? I am training harder than I ever have before also using the routine I posted above. I hope i gain more mass than fat during this bulk.

i had the same problem with gaining weight. just give it time and stop thinking about it and focus on eating more and lifting heavy then repeat, make sure you sleep enough. take creatine if your not right now, dont get on the scale till another month or so it'll just be on the back of your mind. just eat, lift heavy then repeat.

and the question about getting weight to your gut work out your abs just like any other muscle group. resistant bands or hold a weight behind your head and do sit ups 3x10 or so. good luck with the bulk

eddie500
07-18-2007, 03:42 PM
It works like this, they say maximum muscle you can gain is around like .5lbs a week. IF your gaining 3 or 4 pounds a week then most of it is being stored as fat.

THis is exactly what happened to me when I was eating to much, I started to just add fat so I cut down on my eating.

Eating is definietly pushed on this website because most don't eat enough. But I think a lot go from not eating enough to overeating by a huge amount.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-18-2007, 04:37 PM
EAT MORE FOOD.

IF YOU MAKE AN EXCUSE SUCH AS NOT HAVING THE TIME TO EAT, YOU DO NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO GAIN WEIGHT. MAKE THE TIME TO EAT. PACK FOOD IN A COOLER. DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO GET THE CALORIES YOU NEED IN ORDER TO GAIN WEIGHT.

/the end

j_man_honda
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
EAT MORE FOOD.

IF YOU MAKE AN EXCUSE SUCH AS NOT HAVING THE TIME TO EAT, YOU DO NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO GAIN WEIGHT. MAKE THE TIME TO EAT. PACK FOOD IN A COOLER. DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO GET THE CALORIES YOU NEED IN ORDER TO GAIN WEIGHT.

/the end

Yeh I get it:idea:.....I've gained 8 pounds in 3 weeks so I am officialy on my bulk. Been taking in around 4000 calories a day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
8 pounds in 3 weeks is probably too much.

j_man_honda
07-19-2007, 08:16 PM
It works like this, they say maximum muscle you can gain is around like .5lbs a week. IF your gaining 3 or 4 pounds a week then most of it is being stored as fat.

THis is exactly what happened to me when I was eating to much, I started to just add fat so I cut down on my eating.

Well the way I look at it, if u can only gain .5lbs of muscle in a week, then why not get in a bunch of calories and protein and try to gain that. If I do gain 2-3lbs. a week atleast .5lbs of that will be muscle.

8 pounds in 3 weeks is probably too much.

Why is that? A lot of people bulking on here gained quickly like that and then slowed down drastically to .5-1lbs. a week.

TopCat
07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
8 lbs in 3 weeks is not bad. Depending on when you weighed yourself that might not be near a gain as you thought. As you said you have been eating more now than ever so naturally you will have some more food in your G.I. and holding more water. Regardless, that is probably a little over ideal. Everyone will have personal opinions but a target gain for me would be 1-2 lbs a week for me. People say you can gain a maximum of 0.5 lbs of muscle of week but its impossible to gain only muscle so obviously to maximize growth you gotta be over 0.5 lbs a week :D

Mr. D
07-21-2007, 12:41 AM
8 lbs in 3 weeks is not bad. Depending on when you weighed yourself that might not be near a gain as you thought. As you said you have been eating more now than ever so naturally you will have some more food in your G.I. and holding more water. Regardless, that is probably a little over ideal. Everyone will have personal opinions but a target gain for me would be 1-2 lbs a week for me. People say you can gain a maximum of 0.5 lbs of muscle of week but its impossible to gain only muscle so obviously to maximize growth you gotta be over 0.5 lbs a week :D

Why is it impossible to gain "only muscle"? some fat gain will be there,sure, but it will be miniscule, and the muscle to fat ratio will be so much better than the 1-2lb a week ratio would be.