PDA

View Full Version : This time I'm serious...seriously!!! (Cut150)

Cut150
06-30-2007, 10:49 PM
So, I began working out maybe four years ago, but unfortunately, I've been a chronic starter and stopper over the years. It's either been work, some kind of family emergency pulling me out of town or being injured for an entire year that throws me off and then I have to start at ground zero all over again.

This journal is my latest ground zero. I decided to start one this time because I think it's going to stick.

My goal is to get to 175 pounds by September 2, 2007. At my last weigh in on June 24, I was 204 pounds, so that would've been about three pounds a week. I wasn't able to work out this past week and I didn't stick to my diet as well as I would've liked, so I have no idea what my weight will be tomorrow. I usually weigh myself every Sunday morning.

I have three different upper body/lower body workouts. I think I'm hitting all of the target areas with a slight variation of the exercises. The plan is for a workout four days a week. Two days upper body and two days lower body. I work out primarily with dumbbells. Hopefully, I'm writing the weight I'm lifting correctly. If not, when I say 15 or 20, I am meaning a 20 lb. dumbbell, not two tens or 7.5. I also do two warm up sets and three working sets. All of my sets consist of seven reps, except the step ups, which are eight, four on each leg. I also try to jump rope after each workout and if time permits, I shoot some hoops for about 15-30 minutes. Nothing too strenuous at this time, just trying to get my legs and wind back. I do want to add in some suicides in a few weeks.

Don't know if it matters, but I am a 31 year old woman.

This is what I've been up to for the month of June:

June 4

Chin Ups - I was supposed to do them, but I chickened out.
Bench Press - 2x10 3x20
Dumbbell Pullover - 2x10 3x20
Arnold Press - 2x10 2x12 1x15
Bent Over Row - 2x10 3x15
Pull Downs - 2x55 2x70 1x85 I convinced myself that this would be a replacement for the Chin Ups.
Jump Rope - 3 minutes

June 5

Plie Squat - 2x25 3x35
Iron Cross - 2x5
Lunges - 2x
Step Ups - 2x10 3x20
Calf Raises - 3x25

I was incredibly sore and I just couldn't get back into the gym. I tried to move and I really couldn't, so I rested on Thursday and Friday.

June 11

Chin Ups - Chickened out some more.
Bench Press - 2x10 1x15 3x20
Dumbbell Press - 2x10 3x15
Cuban Press - 2x5 3x10
Jump Rope - 2 minutes

June 12

Dumbbell Squat - 3x15
Iron Cross - 2x5 1x8
Step Ups - 2x10 3x25
Calf Raises - 3x20
Jump Rope - 5 minutes

June 15

Chin Ups - Chickened out, but I did walk over to the assisted pull up machine.
Bench Press - 2x10 3x20
Lateral Raises - 2x8 3x10
Dumbbell Row - 2x10 3x20
Jump Rope - 5 minutes

Cut150
06-30-2007, 10:54 PM
June 18

Chin Ups - Assisted weight: 155 1x7 2x4
Bench Press - 2x10 3x20
Cuban Press - 2x8 3x12
Dumbbell Press - 2x10 3x15
Jump Rope - 6 minutes

So, I finally did the chin ups and I gotta say that I'm pretty pleased with myself. I haven't done an unassisted set since I was like 17 years old. I will stick with them, but I have to say that I was a little tuckered out for the rest of the workout. It took a bit out of me.

June 19

Dumbbell Squats -2x15 1x20^
Iron Cross - 2x5 1x8
Plie Squat - 2x25 3x35
Step Ups - 2x10 3x25
Calf Raises - 3x30
Leg Raises - 3x5
Jump Rope - 5:30 minutes

June 21

Chin Ups - Assisted weight: 155 3x7
Bench Press - 2x10 3x20
Dumbbell Row - 2x10 3x20
Lateral Raises - 2x8 3x10

June 22

Dumbbell Squats - 2x10 1x15 2x20
Iron Cross - 2x5 1x8
Bulgarian Squats - 2x
Step Ups - 2x10 3x20
Calf Raises - 3x30
Leg Raises - 1x5
Jump Rope - 6 minutes

Okay, so I couldn't do the Bulgarian Squats with any weight. It was harder than I thought it would be and I probably spent more time just trying to get the form right. The biggest issue I had with these is that when I came back up, my lead leg was twitching like crazy. I could only do five reps on each leg for two sets. If anyone has any suggestions or explanations about that, I would appreciate it.

I eased back on the weight for the steps ups because of my reaction to the Bulgarians.

I go back to the gym on Monday.

Cut150
06-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Okay, so these are the six workouts that I plan to use. I have had success with the upper body workouts, so that's why I do what I do. The lower body workouts are pretty new. I did some lower body work in earlier phases, but it was really just plie squats, calf raises and hack squats. However, in one of the later workout periods, I began to develop a pain in my lower back whenever I used the hack squat machine.

Since I had a recent back injury about a year before, I figured that maybe the damage they found was the problem, so I am trying to stay away from regular squats thinking that the weight on my shoulders is compressing something. Then again, it could also be poor form or I shouldn't be on a hack squat machine or something else. Any suggestions about that would be appreciated, but I do know that I had used the hack squat machine a few years before the injury and never had a problem.

One
Chin Ups
Bench Press
Dumbbell Pullover
Cuban Press
Dumbbell Press

Two
Chin Ups
Bench Press
Dumbbell Pullover
Bent Over Row(but I think I want to switch over to the T-Bar)
Arnold Press

Three
Chin Ups
Bench Press
Dumbbell Pullover
Dumbbell Row
Lateral Raises

One
Dumbbell Squats
Iron Cross
Plie Squats
Step Ups
Calf Raises
Leg Raises

Two
Dumbbell Squats
Iron Cross
Bulgarian Squats
Step Ups
Calf Raises
Leg Raises

Three
Dumbbell Squats
Iron Cross
Split Squat
Step Ups
Calf Raises
Leg Raises

Obviously, I haven't done everything yet, I'm trying to ease a few of the newer (to me) exercises in and still be able to move the next day. I'm not quite sure if I'm pushing myself enough. I do feel like I am putting in some work, but I was just reading a thread that suggested that one day is supposed to be harder than another day and perhaps, that is what I am lacking right now. But, I guess I'm also thinking that since the weight I'm lifting is relatively light, that right now, the focus should be strength, but not at the expense of proper form.

So, this is where I am right now. I also want to start back up with my yoga, (I love that) on Sundays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Cut150
06-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Last, but not least, my projected diet on my workout days of Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday looks like this:

1955 calories
83 grams of fat, 32 S/5 P/11 M
194 grams of carbs
100 grams of protein

I take fish oil, folic acid, iron, Vitamin C & E, a super B-Complex pill and a Calcium and Magnesium with Zinc pill.

I'm still tinkering with Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday diets. At this time, Wednesday is pretty much like the workout days, except I don't have the chicken soup and perhaps, an extra piece of bacon.

I forgot to say that I'm 5'10.

Cut150
07-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Okay, so I was rather excited to get back to the gym today since I couldn't go last week. I completely forgot that I just did this routine on June 21, but I wanted to do some lateral raises, so...

Chin Ups - Assisted weight: 155 3x7
Bench Press - 2x10 3x20
Dumbbell Pullover - 2x10 3x15
Dumbbell Row - 2x10 1x20 2x25
Lateral Raises - 2x8 2x10 1x12
Jump Rope - 3 minutes
Suicides - 2x

I was concerned that this would be a bad day because I had to really gut out the last set of my chin ups. I wanted to give up at two, but I decided that I was going to really push myself this week, so I stayed there until I made seven.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a bit before I move up to 25 lbs. dumbbells on my bench. I still have to put in some work with the 20s. For a minute there, I became paranoid about my form, but I watched a few people from a far and unless everyone in the gym is doing incorrectly, I'm fine.

I backed down in weight on the pullovers because I'm pretty sure that my form was not as smooth as it should have been.

I am pretty happy about being able to increase the weight on my rows. I've always been able to make pretty good progress with those. The last set of laterals weren't impossible, but they did fulfill the goal of pushing myself.

I didn't get to jump for very long because my feet started to hurt, so maybe the week off affected that also. However, I am getting my shot and range back with the time on the court. I finished up the day with two of the slowest suicides I have ever done in my life. They were so slow that I'm sure my old coach would've kicked me off the team 14 years later.

Regardless, the day ended up being pretty good and something that I can build on.

Built
07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Protein and cals are so low, and reps are so high...?

WHY?

Built
07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Here:
Sample week in my life (http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?topic=4536.0) - this includes the diet, the lifting, cardio protocol, everything

My cutting plan (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/current-lifting-split/)

Please revise your plan. I don't think you're going to be happy with your workouts OR your results if you proceed in this fashion.

(http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?topic=4536.0)

Cut150
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for stopping by, of course I'll read your links. But, I'm confused. I didn't think seven reps per set would be considered high.

The calories are low because I'm trying to lose weight and the protein is as high as I could get it with the food that I'm eating.

Built
07-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Cutting is LOW reps, heavy weight - not high reps with lots of volume.

Diet should be at least a gram of protein and at least a half a gram of fat per pound LBM - on a diet, I like protein and fat as high as possible.

Listen, read the links, PM me or drop me a question on my blog or a PM here or on my other board. I'll help you get yourself lean - and STAY there.

K?

Built
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
PS maybe I didn't read your log right - you're doing 20 and 30 rep sets? Not sure how to read it.

Cut150
07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
No, no, no! I'm not arguing with you. Not at all! It was really just a question.

You were the one who told me what to do when I was on crutches last year, so I'll always listen to you. The reason why I'm doing some of the exercises that I am doing is because they were approved by you before.

I said in my first post that I might be writing everything incorrectly. All of the sets that I do are seven reps, except for the the step ups, which are eight, four on each leg.

If the number of reps should be lower, I'll go lower.

Unfortunately, :redface: the "20" and "30" in my log, is the actual weight of the dumbbells that I'm using. :redface: When I said "ground zero," I meant "ground zero."

In a way, I probably am being a little lazy on the food part because, I'm not cooking any of it. My dinner comes from Chipotle and the PWO chicken soup comes from Chick-fil-A. I don't have the time to cook, so I get the food from there. The only thing I make is my Cream of Wheat and bacon in the morning.

You're going to give me a cyber beatdown aren't you? :whip:

Built
07-02-2007, 04:06 PM
LOL - I didn't think you were arguing! I'm just typing too fast, it comes off terse. My apologies.

Okay, just re-read that first post. Gotcha. No worries, 7 reps is fine. I read it as 20- and 30-rep sets and freaked lol!

For now, just keep it simple, okay? Regular squats or front squats, heavy. BB or dumbbell bench, RDLs, rack pulls, deadlifts, chinups, millies and arnold presses.

No need to get all fancy with plie squats and the like. Bulgarians are great though.

You tracking on fitday? At least attempting to?

CAN you keep any foods at home, like cottage cheese, poached chicken breasts, salad fixings, raw nuts? Just easy stuff.

Cut150
07-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes and no on the tracking. I do use Fitday, but I am pretty much eating the same thing every day, so once I mapped out what I want to eat, I just go from there.

I don't like cottage cheese and I'm allergic to peanuts. I do eat almonds, but because of my Chipotle fetish right now, :D I decided to wait until I needed to cut calories again, so I can eat my bag of tortilla chips. They calm me down while I'm at work.

I plan to go back to carrots and almonds and healthier stuff, but what I do is so tedious that the amount of time that it takes me to eat the chips, puts me in a zen like moment.

I thought about cooking all of my food on the weekend or something, since I can cook, but I really don't like "leftovers." It's just isn't the same when I have to heat it up. So, I chose Chipotle since all of the food is fresh and not processed.

Okay, I'll give up the Plie squats. They were something that I had to do when I was at a gym without a squat rack. I'll start working on the front squats. I have yet to see anyone at my gym do a proper regular squat, so I wouldn't trust any of them to spot me while I get the form down.

Thanks, Built!

Built
07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
You can rely on pre-made food. No worries. As long as you can control your intake it'll work. I'm not familiar with these restaurants - I don't know what their portions are like.

Try this for front squats if you have trouble with the grip:
http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-157-training/image005.jpg

Cut150
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
All right, keeping in line with the promise to push myself this week, I did just that and made some nice progress. At least, to me.

Dumbbell Squats 2x10 3x20
Iron Cross 2x5 3x8
Bulgarian Squats 3x
Step Ups 2x15 3x25
Calf Raises 3x35

I am completely aware that the poundage that I am pushing is very, very small, but we all have to start (over) somewhere and I won't be here forever. Eight pounds on an iron cross doesn't look like much, but I remember when I first saw this exercise on another site and thought it looked interesting.

Not only is it interesting, it's hard. I could barely do one set of five when I first started, so when I managed to get to three sets of seven, I was thrilled. So, for me to push out three sets at eight pounds, well, I was like :D :D :D I really only planned for one set, but decided to see if I could do another and then another.

The bulgarian squats made me happy and sad all at the same time. I was happy that my lead leg didn't twitch as much as they did the first time I tried them. I was happy that I gutted out three full sets (seven reps). But, I was a little :redface: that I had to gut them out. I know that bodyweight exercises are no joke, but that much sweat should have at least required some sort of dumbbell in my hand.

Oh well, they took me a long time to do, but I refused to give up. After that, I decided that I would also push myself on the step ups, so I went up five pounds in weight. The reason why I went up on the calf raises is because I was working in with someone and I didn't want to take off the plates he had on. I had considered going up anyway, but he made it easy for me.

No jump roping and a couple of people were playing an actual game, so no hoops either. I did decide to take a short, little walk and pick up my lunch today instead.

Overall, I feel really good about today. I love progress. The only problem may be that I was starving after my usual dinner and snack, so I ate more than what I planned, but the food was high in protein, so I don't feel too bad.

I did do a little investigating into front squats and the bar...is little heavy. I'm not saying that I won't be able to do them on Friday, but just in case I can't, can I do them with an ez curl bar at a lower weight until I can lift 45 lbs. properly? Just wondering.

Built
07-03-2007, 09:27 PM
If you can hold it up that way, try it. You can also try the preset barbells.

Undereat a little in the daytime so you can overeat at night. Makes for a more comfortable diet - for me anyway.

Cut150
07-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Okay, so there was a slight delay in my reporting because my plans were thrown off last Friday. I was supposed to meet with someone, so against my better judgement, I agreed to cancel my workout.

Never again. They flaked out and I lost a day in my journey. However, I did decide to try to salvage the day and I've made a few changes to my workouts and diet.

But, first July 5, 2207

Chin Ups 2x170 3x155
Bench Press 2x10 3x20
Dumbbell Pullover 2x10 3x15
T-Bar Row 2x10 2x20 1x25^
Arnold Press 2x10 1x12 2x15

The T-Bar Row was actually fun. I will be able to increase the weight with that rather easily. After going through my log and realizing that it had been almost a month since I had done an Arnold press, a couple changes should be made.

Since I only workout four days a week and gave up my Plie squats, it would be better if I just combined proposed workouts to where I would be able to get all of the exercises in on a weekly basis. I don't think it will be too much on daily basis.

One

Chin Ups
Bench Press
Dumbbell Pullover
T-Bar Row
Arnold Press
Cuban Press

Two

Chin Ups
Bench Press
Dumbbell Pullover
Dumbbell Row
Dumbbell Press
Lateral Raises

One

Dumbbell Squats
Iron Cross
Bulgarian Squats
Step Ups
Calf Raises
Leg Raises

Two

Front Squats
Dumbbell Squats
Iron Cross
Step Ups
Calf Raises
Leg Raises

Unfortunately, I had to increase the daily caloric intake for my diet, but I was also able to get in more protein.

Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays

2398 calories
106 grams of fat, 36 S/15 P/38 M
176 grams of carbs
150 grams of protein

Wednesdays

2304 calories
123 grams of fat, 41 S/44 P/25 M
146 grams of carbs
153 grams of protein

Saturdays

2362 calories
94 grams of fat, 41 S/15 P/15 M
164 grams of carbs
168 grams of protein

As I mentioned before, I started getting a little hungry as I progressed with my workouts, so I added in a few things. I tried to find a somewhat healthy "dessert" to indulge in from time to time this weekend.

I came across Muscle Milk's new protein pudding. It wasn't Jello, but it wasn't nasty either. I think some of you may like it, however, I won't be able to eat any more, I think I'm allergic to something in it. So, I kept looking and came across Lean Body's ready to drink Vanilla Ice Cream.

Oh my goodness, this drink is perfect. If I have to break my diet, this is what I'm going to do it with. That was unbelievably delicious.

Cut150
07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I also came up with a few goals for July. Starting tomorrow, I'll have three weeks and twelve workouts between then and July 30th. I have decided that I want to be able to make some increases in my lifts.

Chin Ups Assisted weight of 155 ---> 140
Bench Press 20 ---> 30
Dumbbell Pullover 15 ---> 25
T-Bar Row 25 ---> 50
Dumbbell Row 25 ---> 35
Dumbbell Press 15 ---> 25
Arnold Press 15 ---> 25
Cuban Press 12 --->20
Lateral Raises 12 --->15

Dumbbell Squats 20 ---> 30
Front Squats ____ ---> 55
Bulgarian Squats bodyweight ---> 20
Iron Cross 8 ---> 15
Step Ups 25 ---> 35
Calf Raises 35 ---> 50

I also want to be able to jump rope for 2:30 straight and run at least five suicides.

What do you think Built? Is this possible?

Cut150
07-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Okay, back at the gym today and I rather enjoyed myself. I may not be the strongest chick in there, but I have pretty good form. I had the pleasure of watching two guys completely waste their time with absolute worst form and lifting weights that they could barely push. Anyway, here's what I did.

Chin Ups 2x170 3x155
Bench Press 1x10 1x15 3x20
Dumbbell Pullover 2x10 2x15 1x20
Dumbbell Row 2x15 1x20 2x25
Dumbbell Press 2x10 3x15
Lateral Raises 1x8 1x10 3x12

I think I may have to limit myself to one warm up for the chin ups. I'm not expecting the working sets to be easy, but the past two times that I've done the warm ups, the working sets have been kind of tough.

The sets on my bench press were smoother and while I won't be increasing the weight just yet, I can see an increase in weight within two weeks or so. I think I'm ready to go completely back to 20 pounds on the pullovers.

So, I'm pretty excited about tomorrow. I start doing front squats and I had this guy look at my form in preparation. He said it was perfect, so it's just a matter of getting it done.

Cut150
07-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Hello, Mr. Journal!

I'm sitting here eating my chicken soup and :D :D :D . It didn't start off as a great day. I jumped on the scale and it said that I gained a pound. Well, that's not what I wanted to see. So, I dragged my even fatter butt down to the gym and I tossed around some weight to the tune of:

Front squats 2x30 3x40 2x45
Dumbbell squats 1x10 1x15 2x20 1x25
Iron Cross 2x5 3x8
Step ups 2x15 3x25
Calf Raises 3x35

So, as you know, a mere seven days ago, I was under the impression that I would have to work my way up to the barbell on my front squats. I was preparing myself to use the 30 lbs. ez-curl bar, since we don't have any preset barbells.

It was also the one that the guy at the gym checked my form out on yesterday. I grab the bar and I start squatting and it was going rather well for two sets, so, I walk over and grab the 40 lbs. bar, for my last set. Well, that was pretty good also, so I decided that I would go for three sets.

The only "problem" I was having with these weights was that my wrists were being stressed in a way that they hadn't ever been. I was using the powerlifting (I think) grasp.

So, for purely investigative reasons, I decided to walk over to the squat rack and decided test the 45 lbs. barbell. I was able to lift it! :strong: I did another set! Then, I wanted to know whether I could use the, I guess, standard hold and if it would be better for me. The first time I tried to lift the bar, the weight was kind of rough on my shoulders, but it wasn't as bad today.

That's how I ended up doing seven sets. Because I have to think positive about that extra pound this morning, I'm going to convince myself that it was needed to push out seven sets. :D

Now, I'm off to tinker some more with my diet, because if I'm not mistaken, I'm supposed to be losing weight, not gaining. :(

Thanks, Built for suggesting the front squats. :strong: :strong: :strong:

Cut150
07-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, the day started off well enough, I've lost some weight according to the scale. That was great as I am at least going in the right direction.

I got dressed to go to the gym. I got in the car to go to the gym. I was on my way to the gym. My car broke down on the way to the gym. I didn't get to go to the gym.

I did eat a couple of meals from my revised diet. I'm waiting to see if the one I just ate will fill me up. One of my meals yesterday took a minute, but I ended up feeling rather full for a while. I also walked for about ten minutes while I waited for someone to pick me up from the shop.

I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to combine my upper/lower split into a full body workout, since I missed today, or if I'll just stick to the upper body workout tomorrow.

Oh well.

Cut150
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Well, I've lost some more weight and that's :clap:

I was able to borrow someone's car and I went down to the gym with the decision to do my complete upper body workout.

Chin Ups 1x170 3x155
Bench Press 1x10 1x15 3x20
Dumbbell Pullover 2x10 3x20
T-Bar Row 2x15 1x25 1x30 1x35^
Arnold Press 2x10 3x15
Cuban Press 2x10 2x12 1x15^
20 minutes of shooting hoops
Two Suicides

I'm very happy about my progress with the t-bar. I think next week, I will be able to do three sets with 35 lbs. I decided to move up on each set because I felt like I could push myself just that much more on each set. I think the 35 lbs. will be what I'm looking for and will truly fatigue me.

The chin ups, bench press, pullovers and Arnold presses have yet to feel "easy," so there is still work to be done with those movements. I couldn't find the 8 lbs. weights for the Cuban press warmups, so I stepped up to 10 lbs. Since I did that, I also decided to see if I could properly move 15 lbs. and I did.

I haven't been able to do any jump roping as of late, I feel like I'm developing shin splints, so I've been trying to take it easy. I did some moderately paced suicides to test out the legs.

Cut150
07-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Okay, back to work. Last week was pretty good for me, at least concerning my physical being. I lost a nice piece of weight and made some gains with my lifts. So, I'm extremely pleased. I've always responded well when I worked out, so I'm glad that hasn't changed. I've lost weight on a diet. I've lost weight working out. However, this is the first time I've ever worked out and watched my diet at the same time, so the results are great.

July 16, 2007

Chin Ups 3x155
Bench Press 2x15 3x20
Dumbbell Pullover 2x15 3x20
Dumbbell Row 2x15 3x25
Dumbbell Press 2x10 3x15
Lateral Raises 2x10 3x12

Cut150
07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
I wasn't able to go to the gym on Tuesday as I was still dealing with my car. However, today, I was up and out. I am thinking that I will take tomorrow off. Normally, I go Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I'll decide tomorrow morning as I tweaked my knee at work and it feels kind of sore.

Front Squats 2x45 3x55
Dumbbell Squats 2x15 3x25
Iron Cross 2x5 3x8
Step Ups 2x15 3x25
Calf Raises 3x35

I've decided that I'm going to go with the arms crossed hold on the front squats. My wrists weren't hurting me with the clean grip, but for some reason today, I just didn't feel that my elbows were high enough. However, when I crossed my arms, they stayed put, so...

I think I will try at least one set with 10 lbs. next week on the iron cross. I want one more session with 8 lbs. before the move up to really see if strength has been gained on this move.

For some reason, the step ups seemed to aggravate my shins, so I took it easy on the stepping up. I was just glad to be back at the gym today.

Cut150
07-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Not quite sure why I was feeling so Wonder Woman today, but I was and I had a great workout. For some reason the scale isn't really moving this week, so perhaps I have gained some muscle. I'll know for sure if my measurements are less this Sunday. As for now, I'm going just on speculation since aspects of my workout seemed easier.

Chin Ups 3x155
Bench Press 2x10 2x20 2x25^
Dumbbell Pullover 2x10 3x20^
T-Bar Row 2x20 3x35
Arnold Press 2x10 3x15
Cuban Press 2x10 3x15

My chin ups are progressing rather well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a 15 pound jump on the machine, but I think I will try at least one set next week.

The other day I was reading a thread about bench pressing and someone posted a link to a video of a guy named, Milo? I forget. Anyway, he was doing a video on improving chest exercises and suggested lifting up the chest more. So, I tried it the other day and I did notice a difference. But, today, it was quite obvious that I hadn't been in the proper or a more beneficial position for my lift.

The difference was so dramatic that I had to see if it was the positioning or strength and I went up to 25 lbs. I do think I am a little bit stronger, but I'm positive that I'm lifting more with my chest than my shoulders.

I decided to lift my chest the same way on the pullovers and once again, there was less stress on my shoulders. I think next week, I'll try a set at 25 lbs. This is pretty cool as I was wondering why I seemed to be stalling a bit.

Cut150
07-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, I did something that I don't think I've ever done before and will probably never do again: I worked out on a Saturday. And boy did it suck. I think I felt everything but motivated. It was really strange to me, considering that I was so excited to go. I even took a nap earlier to make sure I had enough energy, since I had to work very early this morning.

I think the ascent downhill started when I couldn't listen to my music because the battery was dead. I had form paranoia. I was lethargic. I think I may have been bored. I'm not sure if I was frustrated. It was kind of pathetic. Then again, I may have just had a let down once I finished my front squats, since that is what I was so hyped up about.

Front Squats 2x45 3x55
Dumbbell Squats 2x15 3x25
Iron Cross 2x5 3x8
Step Ups I didn't even want to set it up, so I skipped it.
Calf Raises 3x45

I increased the weight on the calf raises because I didn't feel like taking off the 45s that were on. A new week is coming and at this point, I'm ready for it.

Cut150
07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Back to the grind. I had to take last week off due to health and job issues. The timing was not bad considering the last time I was in the gym. However, I'm not at the point where I can take nine days off and pick right back up where I left off, so a few things that I thought were getting easier, were not today.

Oh well.

I can't say that I was back to my previous mental state while working out, but I wasn't as low as I was on that Saturday. I have lost about ten pounds since I started back at the gym, so something is going right this go round.

Chin Ups 1x170 3x155
Bench Press 1x10 1x15 3x25
Dumbbell Pullover 1x10 1x15 3x20
Dumbbell Row 2x15 3x25
Dumbbell Press 2x10 3x15
Lateral Raises 2x10 3x12

I shot some hoops for about 30 minutes afterwards.

Cut150
07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
So, I forgot my little notebook today when I went to the gym and I know by now that when any part of my routine is broken, there is no telling what my workout will turn out to be.

I went upstairs to start my front squats and in the middle of them, I saw an old gym acquaintance. We aren't buddies, but somehow, we always manage to end up at the same gym. This is the third gym that both of us have been members of and well, today I decided that something had to change. At least on my end.

This guy is a competitive bodybuilder and while I can't detail all of the changes he has made over the past three or four years or so, I would have to say that he's gotten bigger and bigger and I have not gotten smaller and smaller. However, I have become more serious about my training, so I put my effort where my paranoia was and stepped it up a bit.

I had already thought about changing parts of my workout because I was fearing that I was getting bored or something, but as usual, I got an unexpected kick in the pants and went with it.

Mr. Bodybuilder was working in the section where I normally work and I just couldn't walk back over there with my little, wimpy dumbbells, so after I finished my front squats...

I took the leap to regular squats. I'm not one to compete with someone in a gym and I definitely wouldn't compete with this guy. I really don't even consider this competition as much as perhaps showing some progress on my part. I had planned to wait until I at least got to 30 lbs. with the dumbbells, as that was a goal, but I couldn't do it. Not today with Mr. Bodybuilder prowling around(not paying one bit of attention to me). Of course, I forgot everything I saw on Sensei's videos, but I decided that if Mr. Bodybuilder was going to "force" me into squats, then he should make sure my form was correct. Which he was willing to do for a quick second.

I have to work on pushing through my heels, but other than that, he didn't mention anything else. So, I spent the next 20-30 minutes working on my form with just the bar. Sometimes, I got it right and other times I didn't.

I'm thinking all the years of being on my toes for basketball is going to come back to bite me over the next few months, but I'm not moving up in weight until I get it right. I don't want to mess up my back or my knee which still feels funny at times.

I probably over did the squats even without weight on the bar, because I just kept doing it over and over, but the only way I'm going to learn how to do is to do it.

Front Squats 2x45 3x55
Squats way too many times with the bar
Calf Raises 3x45

I hope I can get out of bed tomorrow.

Cut150
08-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Back at the gym yesterday to work on my squats. My form is coming along. I am pushing through my heels on a more consistent basis and there was a lot less pressure on my tweaked knee. I resisted the temptation to add weight to the bar on the squats. Physically, I am able to add weight, but I want to work on my form before anything else, so I will hold out as long as possible.

Front Squats 2x45 3x55
Squats 5x45
Iron Cross 2x5 3x8
Calf Raises 3x45

The air conditioning at the gym was broken, so after sweating through the workout, I couldn't do more than about 10 minutes on the court. It was just too much and too hot.

Cut150
08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I think I am going to have to make some changes to my routine. There are times where I am truly bored with what I am doing and there are some exercises that I look forward to, so I'll have to look over a few things.

My weight seems to be fluctuating around a number that I don't like, so I've decided to return to cardio. I can't go back to jump roping just yet because I'm still a little concerned about my knee, so I jumped on a bike.

Chin Ups 1x170 3x155
Bench Press 2x15 2x25 1x25 I could only do six out of the seven intended reps
Dumbbell Pullover 2x15 1x20 I got bored and didn't do the last two sets
T-Bar Row 2x20 3x35
Arnold Press 2x10 3x15
Cuban Press 2x10 3x15
Bike 20 minutes

Cut150
08-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Okay, so the first change that I decided on is the rep scheme. I'm dropping down from seven reps to five. Today, I learned two new things: I'm stronger than I thought and PAY ATTENTION IN THE SQUAT RACK!

I was a tad bit distracted today as I was lifting in between one guy squatting 275 lbs and another guy going 170 lbs. So, it wasn't until I was taking the weights off that I realized I had two ten pound plates and not two five pound plates. I have to wonder if I've done this before, but since I can't recall, I'm happy just going up in weight.

As for my regular squats, my form is getting better with every rep. Or at least, I think it is. I'll have to record myself to be sure. The only thing of concern was the Rice Krispies sound my knee made on the descent into the hole. Although, the noise was distracting and disconcerting, my knee didn't have any pain during or after the squats.

Front Squats 2x45 3x65
Squats 2x45 1x55 2x55 - I could only do four squats in the last two sets.
Calf Raises 3x45

I guess I need to now research 5x5 programs since I am inadvertently doing one.

Cut150
08-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Chin Ups 1x170 3x155 1x140^
Bench Press 2x15 3x25
California Press 2x20 3x30
Seated Dips 1x15 1x25 1x35 1x40 1x45
Dumbbell Row 2x15 2x25 1x30^
Lateral Raises 2x10 3x12

Bike 15 minutes

Perhaps, I should've stepped out on the limb a little sooner, but today, I decided to see if I could move up in weight on a couple of things. It wasn't planned beforehand, but as I was in the middle of the sets, the notion to see what more I can do came to me twice.

I'm very pleased with being able to make the jump in the chin ups. I can't say that I was in a hurry because a 15 lb. increase is great on paper, not so much on a body that may not be ready for it. The feeling I had while completing the last set was one that I was familiar with from trying to accomplish full sets on 155. So, I will make the move to at least two sets with 140 lbs. on Thursday.

I did three full sets on my bench press.

I have continued to tinker with my workout. Today's change was the removal of dumbbell pullovers. The last time I was scheduled to do them, I couldn't because I was just bored. The last time I was in the gym, I saw someone else doing them and my stomach turned, so it was obvious that they had to go.

I try to do as many compound movements as possible, so I wasn't sure that I would be able to do what I had been thinking about, but after a little research, I found two compound movements for my triceps. I'm going to start on the seated dips and then move to the regular dip machine. I think I'm going to stick with the California Presses, as I like the entire movement, but I will try JM presses to see if I like them.

The Arnold press is also getting the boot. The dumbbell press is moving to my other workout. I wasn't sure how much I would be able to move on the dips and was rather surprised that it was 45 lbs. on each side. I just assumed that the amount would be similar to my bench press.

Because of the increase with the dumbbell row, I will also check things out on the t-bar row this Thursday. Perhaps, there will be an increase there also.

Cut150
08-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I've heard that some people grade the intensity of their workouts for future reference. If I decide to do the same, I would start with today and give it a ten. I rather enjoyed myself today.

I moved up on my chin ups. The bench press movement seemed smoother, so I'm getting a little stronger. I determined that California presses are indeed better with ez curl bars. I really felt it in my back with the seated dips and I stepped up on the t-bar row. I wasn't sure if the dumbbell press and lateral raises would be too much, but they weren't and just added to :strong: of my workout.

Chin Ups 1x170 1x155 3x140
Bench Press 2x15 3x25
California Press 2x20 3x30
Seated Dips 2x25 3x45
T-Bar Row 2x25 3x50
Dumbbell Press 2x10 3x15
Lateral Raises 2x10 3x12

I think the progress on the other movements will eventually translate to the dumbbell press and lateral raises, but it seems like I've been at those weights for awhile. I'll have to go back and look.

Unfortunately, it seems like the regular squats are aggravating an old hip injury. I've been having issues with it for at least one week, if not, two. It's kind of painful and truly annoying. I am able to gain temporary relief doing a few yoga poses and some foam rolling, but I think I may have to resort to some other things that I did while in physical therapy for it.

I had already resumed the foam rolling for the previous few times that I would feel the scar tissue building up, but now I'm going to do it on a regular basis. I'm also thinking that I need to strengthen the hip and I just happened to walk by the machine that would do it a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need it at the time, but I went by it again today and it looks just as torturous as I remember, but I'll get back on it. If this doesn't work, I may have to give up regular squats and even worse, go back to a doctor to fix what I reinjured.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow after the squats and torture rack.

Cut150
08-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Front Squats 2x45 3x55
Squats 2x45 3x55
Calf Raises 3x45
Kickbacks 2x20 3x30

Well, I completed my workout. I didn't think that I would be able to, but I took a chance and pushed through it. I'm thinking that I may have to do a little more prep work before the actual squats. I only walked five minutes on the treadmill for my warm up because I was afraid that I would aggravate my hip prior to, but I'm thinking that I may have to actually extend the time, in order to really get warm.

I also did a few stretches, but it didn't help initially. The only thing that did was forcing myself through the first two or three sets of front squats. As I went along, I was able to go deeper in the squat. However, I did think that my hip was going to fall on the floor and I'd have to hop out of there.

During the first few sets, I am pretty sure that I at least made it to just below parallel, despite the intense pain. I was rather pleased with myself for gutting it out. I hope that I don't end up regretting it later when my doctor tells me that I did more damage, but I'm thinking that won't happen.

I finished the calf raises and walked over to the torture rack. I was actually surprised that I was able to do the 20 and 30 lbs. as I had been fortunate enough to have not done those for almost two years. So, apparently, I do have more strength in my legs, because I don't think I went that high in therapy, but maybe I'm forgetting(or blocking it out).

The five sets were not easy, but I do think(and hope and pray) that they will be beneficial. I'm going to maintain the same weight on the squats until I see some improvement in my hip. It may be frustrating, particularly if this takes a little longer than I want and if it's obvious that I can lift more, but I'll just consider it more time to work on my form at a light weight.

No exercise bike as there is a chance that it was the bike that jacked up my hip and not the squats.

Heat and foam rolling for the hip later tonight.