PDA

View Full Version : You squat too low

pulpmelon
07-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Thats what I was told today. On the whole the gym I train at is populated by senible types (only a few curl jockeys) but I found that comment interesting more than annoying. Ive been to 5 qyms in the last 2 years and the only people I have ever seen squat ATF are the athletes at the running tracks weight room. How about you? Have you ever been effectively 'told off' for doing something properly?

teenathlete3030
07-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Once I was squatting and I was told to put my feet out much wider and point the toes out, as well as holding the bar lower on my back (aka powerlifting style). The guy just couldn't get the point that I have no intention of powerlifting.

Also I have had guys say I squat too low, but other just say good depth, so I just keep doing what I'm doing.

JHarris
07-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Thats what I was told today. On the whole the gym I train at is populated by senible types (only a few curl jockeys) but I found that comment interesting more than annoying. Ive been to 5 qyms in the last 2 years and the only people I have ever seen squat ATF are the athletes at the running tracks weight room. How about you? Have you ever been effectively 'told off' for doing something properly?

I can't tell you how many people have tried to tell me things like that. One guy said to me that I was doing cleans all wrong.. that I needed to pull a lot more with my arms because right now Im only working my legs. (I took it as a compliment, actually.)

The thing about squatting is that everyone is sure they are going "low enough". Unfortunately, unless you are putting your hamstrings on your calves, you aren't going through the full range of motion. Many people simply don't have the flexibility to do it while keeping their back straight/arched. You also move less weight, which isn't a surprise. A lot of times, people's pride gets too wrapped up in their numbers and they lose focus on good form. Then, when they see someone doing the lift with good form, they try to tell them its wrong so that they don't have to accept their numbers aren't really true numbers for that lift since they aren't really doing the full lift. Happens all the time.

Kudos to you, by the way, for going "too low". If I were you, I'd take that as a huge compliment and use it as a big boost in that particular workout.

Sensei
07-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Well, there is such as thing as sacrificing squatting technique for depth... I wouldn't recommend anyone to squat high, but I when I see newbies doing ATF squats their form is typically horrible - lower back rounding, knees shooting forward excessively, GMing out of the hole, relaxing at the bottom putting extra stress on the knees, you name it.

GroundControl
07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Well, there is such as thing as sacrificing squatting technique for depth... I wouldn't recommend anyone to squat high, but I when I see newbies doing ATF squats their form is typically horrible - lower back rounding, knees shooting forward excessively, GMing out of the hole, relaxing at the bottom putting extra stress on the knees, you name it.

I was just wondering is their a specific time frame before lifting out of form would permanently injure the user ? I mean I know stick to FORM, and everyones body is different, but if someone was doing something with wrong form are they better off not doing them at all ? Because if this is the case, half my gym shouldn't be lifting LOL

SDS
07-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I recently stopped going all the way down to a complete stop because I found myself relaxing at the bottom. I'm still going below parallel, just not hitting the stops at the bottom anymore.

Sleepy Guy
07-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Every single gym know to man is plagued with all kinds of misinformation but then who is to say what is right.

It should be fairly obvious who is doing what right just by the way it looks.

There was one guy at my old gym that would approach all up coming lifters and tell them they are all wrong and going to hurt them selves like he did. All 140lbs of him at 6'2". He spoke as if he was a lifer and how it messed up his life.

A number of my friends fell into his trap and he actually messed out ones training for weeks.

The guy believed he was right and nothing could be done. We almost got him kicked out of the gym but the head stepped in.

I go deep all the time and love it. I only go to parallel when lifting for max just to get legit numbers in.

Natetaco
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
if someone came up to me in a gym and told me that squatting below parallel was bad, then i would smack em

BFGUITAR
07-01-2007, 03:07 PM
These two guys were deadlifting once and I couldnt help but help them out. They were very thankful and I went back to squating.

They asked me soon after why I go so deep. I told them what I knew (works more muscles, increases flexibility, easier on the knees). Alot of people will ask why one does something rather than say your wrong, at least where I work out.

jtteg_x
07-01-2007, 08:17 PM
^x2. ive had a personal traininer ask me what i was doing when i was doing cable face pulls. i explained it and gave him a go at it. since then, he has been doing those and loves it.

i never been "downtalked". if anything few folks ask for my opinion on lifting. and of course, i always offer it but they never follow/listen to it:bash:

Unholy
07-01-2007, 08:22 PM
When I am in the gym I do not look like the type of person that would be told off.

Chris Rodgers
07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
When I am in the gym I do not look like the type of person that would be told off.

Unless I'm in the gym and you walk in with a pink T-shirt on. :p

Unholy
07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
well ya, but you are the almighty CR.