PDA

View Full Version : APF/AAPF Summer Bash Results

Guido
07-01-2007, 11:55 AM
APF/AAPF Summer Bash - Willowbrook, IL 6-30-07

Neal (RedFury) and I were both competing for Illini Powerlifting at the Summer Bash, with Royce Greenberg helping out. Roger Ryan lifted for Team Lockup and also helped judge. Roger was doing bench only, and Neil and I competed in Full Power. Neal lifted all Raw, and I competed Raw in squat, but used a shirt and suit for bench and DL respectively.

Neil weighed in right around 132, and I weighed in at a light 205.6.

The site was Velocity Sports Performance, which is a decent facility in which to lift, albeit a bit smaller than Collinsville. This was my first attempt at a full power meet and all in all it went pretty well.

Neal kicked things off for us nailing his opener on squat quite easily. He started off with around 270 and got plenty of depth. I don't think he thought it felt that easy so he then moved up to only around 286. That one just flew up and again depth was not a problem. So Neal went for 303, which is a meet and all-time Raw PR, and he gutted it out for a good lift! 3 white lights for Neal and a great start to the meet!

Next it was my turn. I was unsure as to how the monolift thing worked at first, but I figured it out by watching the other lifters. I opened with a VERY easy 407.7 squat which I buried. I then decided to go for a belt + wraps PR and went for 440.7 with my second attempt. I got it on m back and it felt light to me. I went down and everything felt perfect, so just below parallel I shot it up and got 3 white lights! I may have had 450 in me that day but I passed on a 3rd attempt because I wanted to save my strength for a shot at a 551 DL.

After the squats, it was time for bench only benchers. Roger Ryan was there trying to surpass his own Masters bench record PR. His first attempt was about 622, and it was a joke for him. 3 white lights. The second attempt was for 711 lbs. I think he misgrooved it a bit and could just not quite lock it out. I thin he was pissed about this, because he went for 711 again on his third attempt and it just flew up like the barbell was filled with helium! 3 white lights and (I think) a PR for Roger Ryan! He just keeps adding to his pounages and his legend.

After the bench only lifters, it was time for Full Power and Ironman benchers to take the stage. Neal started it off in good fashion with a ridiculously easy 225 raw opener. This opener broke the State record for the AAPF 132lb Open class. Neal would push his record even higher with a flawless 248lbs on his second attempt. It seemed that he was getting very slow press commands (sometimes it seemed like up to 2 second pauses) on all his attempts, but it did not stop him from making his lifts. On his third attempt, Neal went for 259lbs. This one was tough, but he called up all his intestinal fortitude and was able to lock it out nice and even. 3 white lights for Neal.

It was my turn to bench and I was confident enough in the shirt to go ahead and open in it, instead of opening raw as I have in past meets. I opened with 391lbs and it was no problem, though it felt tougher than it should have. I always feel like my opening lift is tough, though, so I stuck with my plan and went for a meet and all-time PR of 407.7 for my second attempt. Royce's handoff was perfect and once I touched I knew it was going up, though it took every ounce of strength I had. I managed to lock it out and keep my butt on the bench and got 2 white lights. Good lift! I again passed on a third attempt because I knew I had nothing more to give on bench and was seeing halos around the lights and my vison was hazy for a while. Plus my back was sore from my extreme arching! Not a good sign when I still had deadlifts to do.

Neal performed quite admirable on the third and final lift, the deadlift. Lifting Raw again, he made his opener of 380 look like child's play. He decided he would attempt 435 for his second lift. This would be a 10lb Raw PR for Neal. I think something did not feel right for Neal on his second attempt, though, and he could not get the weight of the floor. He then dug deep down and on his third attempt, again with 435, he got it off the floor and was looking good as it passed his knees. It slowed down, but Neal fought through it and the bar kept moving slowly upwards, but then he slightly lost his balance and while trying to correct the bar moved down an inch before Neal was able to finally lock it out. The downward motion made th lift not count, but Neal did make the lift. Very impressive effort for Neal!

On my first attempt, I opened with 485lbs. It went up easily and I got 3 white lights. However, this was my last lift that would count. I jumped up to 551 on my second attempt with the intent of getting a PR and my first 550+ pull. However, it was to be, as I was just too spent from squat and bench. In hindsight, I probably should have gone for 545, which would have tied my PR, but then hindsight is always 20/20. I got 551 off the flor and passed my knees quickly, but then it got stuck just above my knees and I literally held the bar there, fighting to lock it out for 10 seconds. Neal actually timed my lift and the entire lift lasted for 13 seconds before I was finally told to drop it (I guess they thought I was hitching eventually). Naturally, that effort took everything out of me and I literally felt like collapsing on the floor. So no third attempt (I might have died), and only my opener of 485. Oh well.

So, I ended up with a 1333.4 total and first place in APF Open 220 and AAPF Open 220 class. If I'd gotten that 551 DL I would have ended up with a 1400 even total.

Neil ended up with a 942 raw total, first place in AAPF Open 132, and a State record or bench in his class.

Roger Ryan ended up with a 711 bench and first place in Masters 50-54, Law/Fire Masters 50-54 bench only class in both APF and AAPF.

A great day overall of Illini Powerlifting and Team Lockup!

Anthony
07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Awesome work guys!!

Bako Lifter
07-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Awesome efforts for both of you! Two 1st place WBBers!

Chris Rodgers
07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Great job fellas. Fury's raw strength is nasty, especially that bench.

What's with the 6 attempts Guido? I thought you get 9 in a meet. ;)

123 champ
07-01-2007, 12:49 PM
:withstupi

haha awsome job guys kudos to both of ya

waynedang
07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Good job guys

smokinHawk
07-01-2007, 03:18 PM
congrats, great lifting guys

Lones Green
07-01-2007, 03:28 PM
nice lifting!

WBBIRL
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Thats insane that you get 100 pounds out of your shirt.

Very nice efforts all around. Strong showing guys!

TommyBoy
07-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Very fine lifting there boys!!

Guido
07-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks, guys. It was a good time. I'm quite sore today, and last night after going out with ectx till 2 am I just collapsed into the bed and fell asleep in 2 seconds flat. I woke up with drool coming out of one side of my mouth. Thankfully I don't have to go to work tomorrow!

getfit
07-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Congrats to the both of you.Awesome guys!

North
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
A tip O' da hat to both of you guys, great job!

vdizenzo
07-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Looks like you will be filling up a trophy case quickly. Job well done. Keep up the hard work!

Guido
07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
North, getfit, vdizenzo: Thanks!

My trophy table is already quite full. Gonna need a bigger table soon, or put up some shelves!

offhegoes03
07-21-2007, 09:07 AM
that's awesome.. congrats to both of you guys

Guido
07-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks, man.