PDA

View Full Version : cutting weight for grappling tourney

Roark
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
*DISCLAIMER: i put this here rather than diet because i think this forum is more grappling-oriented and read by more with that skillset*

i have my first tournament in 4 weeks

i would like to cut to welter at 175

i weigh 195 right now, but that is at the end of a 4-day vacation visiting my brother filled with drinking and extreme overeating.

i weighed 187.4 thursday morning before i left, so, i think that is a more accurate number as to my true weight

anyway, any tips as to how best to go about this to maintain strength, lean mass, & energy?

i plan on starting calorie "restriction" tomorrow to about 2200 and see where that gets me by friday, the 2200 comes from previous experiences cutting for bodybuilding purposes. absolutely no alcohol either between now and then.

i'm currently lifting 2x week full-body & training bjj/sub grappling 4-7 x a week

any help would be appreciated

i played soccer & basketball in high school, no experience w/ this

i figure 4 weeks will be long enough to do it without much harm

thanks in advance

Unholy
07-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Yea dude, if you are 187 12 lbs in 4 weeks is cake, You can cut a solid 8-10lbs of water the 2-3 day before for weigh in. its a bit unorthodox but thats the name of the game.

Built
07-02-2007, 12:53 AM
I wrote about cutting water weight last year. Have a look. (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=288)

Hazerboy
07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Its your first tournament? Wrestle up a weight class. Plain and simple. Your first tournament should be a learning experience.

I wrestled four years -- I've gotten my ass handed to me by guys who weighed ten lbs less then me and I've destroyed guys that look like monsters. Year after year I see freshman putting WAAY too much emphasis on their weight. Even if you're cutting body fat and mostly water weight you're still going to loose a LOT of strength, especially if you've never cut before and weigh ins are only a few hours before your first match.

Save weight cutting for when you've got some more experience - it will give you an edge or your opponents, but its never decisive. I've never walked out of a match thinking "man, I won because I cut weight" or "he beat me because he cut weight." Its always a combination of variables - I was stronger, more experienced, better conditioned, a mental edge, etc.

So unless you've got a gut I'd spend these next couple weeks drilling your takedowns, finishes, escapes, etc, and getting into kickass shape. This will help you way more then loosing 20 lbs and feeling like crap.

Also, read this: http://www.usawks.com/cutting_weight.htm

Maki Riddington
07-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Aye. Just compete, then figure out if weight is really the issue. For me it was. I was 220 and fighting 250-300 pound guys.

Now I'm 193 a year later.

Roark
07-03-2007, 06:03 AM
thanks for the input guys

this is my first tourney...and i'm 30

i actually was also hopiong to use this as a motivator to get me over those last 10lbs that have been the difference between my physique being "okay" and looking really lean

tourney is on the 28th, will just stay on this course until the 14th and reassess, nothing drastic

188 this morning

Maki Riddington
07-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Best of luck. Go out there and have fun. Worry about placing later on when you have a better idea of what's going on.

OceanFit
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
What tournament are you entering? What division are you going in?

I wouldn't dehydrate myself for a grappling tournament. Maybe just float a few pounds if your that close. Just try to learn something. Just do what you do at the gym.

30 isn't old at all man. All the best guys are at least 30.

Remember your paying for this. have fun