PDA

View Full Version : Critique my box squat please!

RedSpikeyThing
07-04-2007, 07:40 PM
I did some box squats tonight and took a video of one at 225. I ended up working up to a very slow 285. I think the box should have been further back in order to sit back.
Let me know what I can improve on please!
Fv42FiH1abQ

Invain
07-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I honestly think the box could be a little higher. If you don't mind me asking, why exactly are you box squatting? It's not a dig, I've just never really seen a purpose to it, except for maybe helping judge depth. Your definitely going lower than parallel in the vid, so why not just a normal atf? I guess I always though box squats were usually aimed towards a parallel squat.

RedSpikeyThing
07-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Box squats are generally used in powerlifting, which is what I'm interested in. Touch and go is used to judge depth, but a true box squat helps you build power out of the hole. When your on the box you relax everything from the waist down, which kills the stretch reflex and forces you to accelerate through your sticking point.

EDIT: I used a higher block originally, but I don't think it was legal depth.

Detard
07-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Are you looking to build power out of the hole? If thats the case, I would sit back fully on the box and let your hips relax and then explode up. Right now it seems like your using it just to gauge your depth.

RedSpikeyThing
07-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Are you looking to build power out of the hole? If thats the case, I would sit back fully on the box and let your hips relax and then explode up. Right now it seems like your using it just to gauge your depth.

My hips were relaxed when I sat. I felt like a long time when I sat on it, but watching the vid made me realize how short it was.

In hindsight, that box should be a lot further back.

Lones Green
07-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I honestly think the box could be a little higher. If you don't mind me asking, why exactly are you box squatting? It's not a dig, I've just never really seen a purpose to it, except for maybe helping judge depth. Your definitely going lower than parallel in the vid, so why not just a normal atf? I guess I always though box squats were usually aimed towards a parallel squat.

check out december 05.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

Detard
07-04-2007, 09:48 PM
My hips were relaxed when I sat. I felt like a long time when I sat on it, but watching the vid made me realize how short it was.

In hindsight, that box should be a lot further back.

I dont want to seem like a prick but you hardly touched the box, let alone sit on it and relax.

Invain
07-05-2007, 03:34 AM
check out december 05.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

Cool, thanks.

RedSpikeyThing
07-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I dont want to seem like a prick but you hardly touched the box, let alone sit on it and relax.

but I conciously relaxed my legs :scratch:

Chris Rodgers
07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
As you noticed yourself, sit back more. It seemed the last few inches were straight down, keep sitting back, arching your back, and pushing your knees all the way down to the box. I'm not sure what fed you want to compete in, but you could probably raise the box a full inch and be fine.

RedSpikeyThing
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
As you noticed yourself, sit back more. It seemed the last few inches were straight down, keep sitting back, arching your back, and pushing your knees all the way down to the box. I'm not sure what fed you want to compete in, but you could probably raise the box a full inch and be fine.

cool, thanks. I think you're right about the inch, but the aerobics step only goes up in ~2" steps lol

Chris Rodgers
07-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Grab a 1" mat if they have any.

Oh another suggestion, GAIN 50 LBS!!! You are skinnier than me for crying out loud.

RedSpikeyThing
07-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Grab a 1" mat if they have any.

Oh another suggestion, GAIN 50 LBS!!! You are skinnier than me for crying out loud.

I think there's a 1/2" or so - I'll give it a shot. In all fairness, I gained 17 lbs last year. Eating myself sick isn't fun anymore :( although I may add another 10 or so in the fall

CleverName
07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
How well has the box squat worked for you Red? My squat is kind of weak right now (mainly because of knee complications), but now I'm considering taking up box squatting after reading about it.

Looking strong though... once I resolve some knee issues and other problems I'll be squatting like you. :)

Stumprrp
07-06-2007, 01:19 PM
good squat but much to low raise that box 1-2 inches so your just below parallel, and focus on sitting back and deloading.

RedSpikeyThing
07-06-2007, 03:25 PM
good squat but much to low raise that box 1-2 inches so your just below parallel, and focus on sitting back and deloading.

I recorded on squat with an extra block under it, which I deleted, and it seemed really high. I'll do another one next week and see how it comes out.