PDA

View Full Version : Mouth and Throat Dry While Running

Mark!
07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Well the thread topic says it all really, while running or jogging for about 5 minutes or more, my mouth gets so dry that I usually have to pause, drink some water, and then continue. I'm a big guy and can breathe pretty heavy while running, but has anyone found anything that would keep my mouth dry while running that doesn't include water or drinking while running? I heard someone talk about chewing gum while running to keep saliva in their mouth, any ideas?

North
07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I was going to suggest chewing gum too

dscarth
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.xlear.com/b2c/ecom/ecomEnduser/items/xt_itemDetail.aspx?totalLevel=0&currLevel=-1&lField1=&lValue1=&lField2=&lValue2=&lField3=&lValue3=&lField4=&lValue4=&lField5=&lValue5=&lField6=&lValue6=&lField7=&lValue7=&oFamily=&itemNum=RAIN&siteId=2&bulkexists=0

I get periodic emails cause I got onto their mailing list ordering some candies they make. Anyway, the stuff has xylitol and is minty. Xylitol is healthy for your mouth, pubmed says so.

Bikkstah
07-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Wear a CamelBak.

testadura
12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
you are dehydrated drink more water......

Patz
12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
you are dehydrated drink more water......

I try to drink at bottle before I jog..not that I jog much these days.

I also try to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. That'll cut down on dry airflow over your mouth. The air you breathe out will have more moisture in it. If you're not able to get a breath through your nose, you might want to consider lessening the pace. And if you like the pace, maybe find something where the workout is designed to make you breathe heavier, and drink water when you need it. Personally, I burp too much if I drink water during cardio.

testadura
12-13-2007, 12:47 PM
drinking more water dosnt mean chugging alot before working out, or during. drink more during the day and after working out.

Hatred
12-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Well the thread topic says it all really, while running or jogging for about 5 minutes or more, my mouth gets so dry that I usually have to pause, drink some water, and then continue. I'm a big guy and can breathe pretty heavy while running, but has anyone found anything that would keep my mouth dry while running that doesn't include water or drinking while running? I heard someone talk about chewing gum while running to keep saliva in their mouth, any ideas?

I read this but....Drink more water.

Wheels Magee
01-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I like to eat an apple or some sort of moist fruit before I go for a long run, it helps to wet my throat and to fill my stomach so I don't have to take an energy bar with me on my 15 milers.

Crossclinger
01-13-2008, 02:15 PM
The reason your mouth is dry is because you are breathing heavily through your mouth.

It would be easy to say 'BREATHE THROUGH YOUR NOSE' but thats difficult when winded. For whatever reason you aren't able to take in enough oxygen to satisfy your need and you become a 'mouth breather'.

The only tip I could give you is to be sure and get all the mucus out of your system before working out(blow your nose until you're satisfied your dry). I do this before aerobic work. I also use a vick's inhaler to keep the lines open.

Try this. Works for me anyway.

Detard
01-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Why not just bring a small flask or something with you and just take small sips whenever you have to on your run...

Da Wasian
01-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I have the same problem

Sensei
01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
The reason your mouth is dry is because you are breathing heavily through your mouth.

It would be easy to say 'BREATHE THROUGH YOUR NOSE' but thats difficult when winded. For whatever reason you aren't able to take in enough oxygen to satisfy your need and you become a 'mouth breather'.

The only tip I could give you is to be sure and get all the mucus out of your system before working out(blow your nose until you're satisfied your dry). I do this before aerobic work. I also use a vick's inhaler to keep the lines open.

Try this. Works for me anyway.
This is great advice. Part of it too is conditioning - as you get in better shape, it will take longer and more intense work to get horrible cottonmouth.

left hook
01-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Drink more water,chew gum or hold a water bottle with you as your running and take sips from it.

KingJustin
01-15-2008, 02:30 PM
I had this issue during the races when I ran cross country in high school. I got Quench Gum and right before the races started, I chewed it a little bit and then let it rest beneath my tongue for the rest of the race.

Cycle28
03-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I agree with the dehydration theory.