PDA

View Full Version : Best food for post workout

berfles
07-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I was wondering if eating a peanut butter sandwich after working out would be a decent post workout meal. It would be about 530 calories and a decent amount of carbs that I should want for my body after a session.

DSmith22
07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
a pb sandwich is better than nothing but it is a casien protien slow digesting= getting into your system slower. Drink a shake within an hour of working out. a pb sandwich is a good idea right before bed.

berfles
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Hmm ok, I forgot about the casein protein. I've been drinking a shake with just milk and ON whey, but milk is casein too. Water and protein powder makes me want to throw up, so is there anything else?

EDIT: Sorry, I realize I posted this in the wrong section. Thanks for moving it.

Outshine
07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Water and protein powder makes me want to throw up, so is there anything else?

Yup, water and protein powder AND dextrose.

Depending on what flavor your protein powder is, this will taste quite yummy, almost like a typical sugary drink.

berfles
07-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Balls, last time I tried just using water it tasted absolutely horrible. I use the chocolate flavored ON whey. I guess I'll have to stomach it.

EDIT: Does using milk and the whey counteract the whey's fast digesting protein because of the milk's slow digesting?

DSmith22
07-08-2007, 06:58 PM
not that I know of I would just stick with the milk and protien. Thats what I do. I can stand water n poweder either. just stick with the milk and powder an hour within finishing a workout then like 2-3 hours after working out eat a good meal of some sort.

cphafner
07-08-2007, 07:37 PM
pb is not a good postworkout option. PB is far too low in protein and too high in fat. Get a shake with protein and carbs.

berfles
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Ok then I'll just stick to what I was doing before with the shake.

mikey4402
07-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Hmm ok, I forgot about the casein protein. I've been drinking a shake with just milk and ON whey, but milk is casein too. Water and protein powder makes me want to throw up, so is there anything else?

EDIT: Sorry, I realize I posted this in the wrong section. Thanks for moving it.

In case you were worried about it.There is debate both ways but IMO the casein will not slow down the fast digesting whey protien.

berfles
07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
In case you were worried about it.There is debate both ways but IMO the casein will not slow down the fast digesting whey protien.

Thanks. Any links to these debates? I may be interested to read about it when I get bored some time.

I'm just psyched to start stuffing my face and lifting again, shooting for at least 4800 calories daily better gain me some weight.

Bako Lifter
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
shooting for at least 4800 calories daily better gain me some weight.

Have you tried that before?

berfles
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Have you tried that before?

Nope, the most I usually ate was around 3800 a few times, but lately it's been about 3300 and I've basically been maintaining the weight and not gaining. Hopefully the 1000 more will get me going again.

love2sweat
07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
shake it up!

Jeffreyk
07-09-2007, 01:46 PM
its fine...use natty pb...ezekiel bread`

Optimum08
07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
PB is not a good choice PWO. around workout times you want to avoid fats and stick with P+C meals. a protein shake with dex in water would be a great choice PWO.

IZWAR
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I know drinking a protein shake within that "golden hour" time slot is great for you as your body is utilizing the protein very efficiently

cphafner
07-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I know drinking a protein shake within that "golden hour" time slot is great for you as your body is utilizing the protein very efficiently

Gotta make sure there are some simple carbs in there as well.

berfles
07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
What kind of carbs are in most whey protein? Are they simple or complex?

IZWAR
Yup forgot about that lol.

IZWAR
thats a good question im not sure, my guess would be complex but thats a 100 percent guess i have no idea.

cphafner
07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
What kind of carbs are in most whey protein? Are they simple or complex?

uh, whey protein is protein, not carbs. They made add a few grams of sugar for sweetness. You will have to add the carbs yourself unless you are drinking something with carbs added (like a weightgainer like Maximus).

berfles
07-09-2007, 02:48 PM
uh, whey protein is protein, not carbs. They made add a few grams of sugar for sweetness. You will have to add the carbs yourself unless you are drinking something with carbs added (like a weightgainer like Maximus).

I know, but there are still carbs in there. Actually I just checked and there are only 3g in ON whey, I was getting that confused with the total carbs number I had from the milk as well. The shake I was drinking after I worked out had 29g of carbs, mostly from the milk.

cphafner
07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I know, but there are still carbs in there. Actually I just checked and there are only 3g in ON whey, I was getting that confused with the total carbs number I had from the milk as well. The shake I was drinking after I worked out had 29g of carbs, mostly from the milk.

Yes I know there are a few grams, hence where I said there are a few grams for sweetners. I would aim to get 2:1 carb to protein ratio after a workout (and atleast 50g carbs). Milk isn't the best best source of carbs. Mix it in water and add some dextrose or maltodextrin. If I'm in a pinch I'll get a gatorade, banana, and orange.

berfles
07-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes I know there are a few grams, hence where I said there are a few grams for sweetners. I would aim to get 2:1 carb to protein ratio after a workout (and atleast 50g carbs). Milk isn't the best best source of carbs. Mix it in water and add some dextrose or maltodextrin. If I'm in a pinch I'll get a gatorade, banana, and orange.

I know that's why you said that, I was just saying that I thought there were more in the whey until I actually checked :)

Where would I get dextrose? I've heard of it but have no idea what it is. I'll go read up on it in the mean time.

cphafner
07-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I know that's why you said that, I was just saying that I thought there were more in the whey until I actually checked :)

Where would I get dextrose? I've heard of it but have no idea what it is. I'll go read up on it in the mean time.

You can order it online. NOW Foods makes a maltodextrine. I'm not sure if they also make dextrose. You can also just order a weightgainer with it already included.

Mr. D
07-10-2007, 01:34 AM
When Im bulking, I shoot for 3:1 ratio carbs to protein PWO.

Also unless you are taking a blend like Nitrean, mixing Whey with Milk and of course Dextrose is a good idea.

I have to find the links to the studies/pubmed, but the combo of casein/whey is better than whey alone for PWO.

And really the whole 1 hour thing is a pseudo myth. Its not really a window thats opens, its more like a "barn-door".

G-Men
07-10-2007, 02:14 AM

Also unless you are taking a blend like Nitrean, mixing Whey with Milk and of course Dextrose is a good idea.

I have to find the links to the studies/pubmed, but the combo of casein/whey is better than whey alone for PWO.

And really the whole 1 hour thing is a pseudo myth. Its not really a window thats opens, its more like a "barn-door".

So what if we are taking a blend like Nitrean? Nothing wrong with mixing it with milk, right?

And also, where do you find Dextrose? Vitamin Shop? Wal-Mart?

berfles
07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
BB.com's store has dextrose, pretty cheap for 2lbs too. I don't know how long 2lbs would last, I think I read there are over 1000 servings but I may have to use more than the serving size.

cphafner
07-10-2007, 08:41 AM
BB.com's store has dextrose, pretty cheap for 2lbs too. I don't know how long 2lbs would last, I think I read there are over 1000 servings but I may have to use more than the serving size.

2lbs won't last more than a week. 1fast400.com sells a 5lb just. I personally bought a 50lb from a bulk food site. It looks like a big bag of dog food. My roommates make fun of it.

berfles
07-10-2007, 08:47 AM
You said maltodextrin would work too right? How about this? (http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=881)

Mr. D
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
www.supplementdirect.com has bulk 11lbs of dextrose for 19.99 with shipping.

Mysupplementstore.com has Now Foods 2lb dextrose. They offer free shipping over $50 and routinely have 10% off sales.

smalls
07-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Actually if you could find those links that would be helpfull. I would like to look at the rationale of why that protocol would be better assuming most people eat a meal before their training and after their PWO shake. Thanks bro.

cphafner
07-10-2007, 01:15 PM
You said maltodextrin would work too right? How about this? (http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=881)

There is an empty jar in my kitchen right now. I have been using that product for the last year or so.

FighterInSnatch
07-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Depends on your diet.

I'm currently doing a protein shake and small potatoe.

If you ever can't get home in time try a lowfat choco milk.