PDA

View Full Version : Eating way above maintenance calories?

Jonezy
07-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok, so most people bulk at about 10-20% above maintenance calories, but what happens if you go waaay over that? About a month ago I got done my cut, eating about 1800 cals a day. (Btw I was 6`1 177lbs when I was done). Maintenance is around 2800 cals, and now that I am bulking, I was going to go 10% above that, but instead I thought I would try just eating as much as I need to keep me full. Turns out that is alot lol. Like today for example, I ate about 6200 cals, 260g fat (32 of which saturated), 40g natural fiber, 580g carbs, and about 400g protein. All of it is clean food (Milk, eggs, cereal, corn, cheese, "amazing protein bars" (found recipe on this site), cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, peanuts, meat sandwhich, yogurt, apples, sausages, potatoes, loots of water). I eat this same stuff everyday pretty much and in the same amounts, about 7 meals a day. So I`m wondering if this normally leads to lots of fat gain, or if it will really boost how fast you add muscle? Keep in mind I never eat when I`m full or force feed or whatever. When I`m hungry, I eat and thats it. So yeah..just a little curious about it.

Unholy
07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
I would eat like you want and see what happens, if you see too much fat gain, ease up a bit.

Mr. D
07-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Did you go str8 from 1800 to 6200 cals???

Jonezy
07-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Nope, I gradually made my way up there by adding about 200 cals a day. So far I haven`t seen any fat gain, but I`m still really early into it, so I guess we will see.

Jeffreyk
07-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, so most people bulk at about 10-20% above maintenance calories, but what happens if you go waaay over that? About a month ago I got done my cut, eating about 1800 cals a day. (Btw I was 6`1 177lbs when I was done). Maintenance is around 2800 cals, and now that I am bulking, I was going to go 10% above that, but instead I thought I would try just eating as much as I need to keep me full. Turns out that is alot lol. Like today for example, I ate about 6200 cals, 260g fat (32 of which saturated), 40g natural fiber, 580g carbs, and about 400g protein. All of it is clean food (Milk, eggs, cereal, corn, cheese, "amazing protein bars" (found recipe on this site), cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, peanuts, meat sandwhich, yogurt, apples, sausages, potatoes, loots of water). I eat this same stuff everyday pretty much and in the same amounts, about 7 meals a day. So I`m wondering if this normally leads to lots of fat gain, or if it will really boost how fast you add muscle? Keep in mind I never eat when I`m full or force feed or whatever. When I`m hungry, I eat and thats it. So yeah..just a little curious about it.

i'd go 2800 for one week, then 2900, then 3...then stop at 3200 for a solid 2 months.....see where it takes you...more than that, 10000-1 you get chubby......dont agrue, just my hypothesis.

Unholy
07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
200 cals a day is a quick way to go up, let us know how it goes. 400 cals above maintenance is nothing. Maybe 3500 will be overkill but there is a nice in between I am sure.

SpecialK
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I tried bulking on 1000 over maintenance for several months and put on wayyyy too much fat. I'm sticking to about 600 over.

Mr. D
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I like "bulks" at 5-10% above maintenance. Slow and steady.

HahnB
07-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree. Slow and steady to achieve the leanest gains possible.

Jonezy
07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Well I was originally going to eat about 5-10% above maintenance for a lean bulk, but then I got to thinking. When you feel hungry, your body is telling you that you need food (duh), so I`m thinking that my body isn`t going to trick me into eating so much that I will get really fat lol. So if I stick only to clean foods (NO fast foods or anything of the sort, ever.) and eat only if I`m hungry, bust my ass in the gym, then hopefully I will make some nice gains in a short amount of time. But, I do have a 'before' picture after I was done my cut so I will definately let you guys know how it all went in couple months!

BBB
07-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Yes, in fact your body will trick you into getting fat. Evolution has made it that way. It wants to get fat to prepare for the next famine. You're body can only do so much in 1 day - over eating by thousands of calories will not help you build muscle faster. You will build muscle at the same rate as you would if you just had ample calories (read 5-20% above maintenance) and the rest will be stored as fat.

Jonezy
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Whooa..ok I didn`t know that lol. Maybe before I take this too far I should back it down to around 4500 cals a day and at least see where that gets me, if I`m not gaining I will just eat more I suppose. Thanks for the heads up.