PDA

View Full Version : Bulking on a Low Carb/Ketogenic Diet

MMEI
07-10-2007, 08:52 AM
To my knowledge of science, I should be able to bulk on a low carb diet without adding much fat. In this method I would give my body the caloric requirements it needs to build muscle, but no carbs for it to store into fat. I've already gained quite a bit of muscle with limited amounts of carbs.

Does this make sense?

Unholy
07-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Does this make sense?

No, you should probably do a lot more reading.

teenathlete3030
07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
What about just eating your carbs after lifting, when they can be of use helping to rebuild? And then just eating protein and fat all the other meals?

MMEI
07-10-2007, 09:23 AM
What about just eating your carbs after lifting, when they can be of use helping to rebuild? And then just eating protein and fat all the other meals?

Yeah, this is essentially what I do. Oh wait... I'm carb cycling aren't I?

teenathlete3030
07-10-2007, 09:37 AM
I've sort of taken this approach throughout the summer. I've only gone up a couple pounds, but I look better now, I'm not sure if my bf% has changed or not but my abs are more defined. Mostly all I eat is meat from subway (no bread, just turkey, roast beef, or my favorite roast chicken) or fish, venison, that kind of stuff, plus protein shakes with peanut butter and milk, plus veggies which are pretty low carb even though that's about all they are. It seems to be working for me.

MMEI
07-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I had a huge body recomp in the past 5 months doing this routine. Lost a good ten to fifteen pounds of fat and gained considerable muscle and gains in my lifts. I've been steadily gaining weight and maintaining my relative leanness, so I guess you'd call this a slow bulk. I guess I just wanted to see if there was any merit to what I was doing.

5'10/11, 170 lbs, 10-11% bf

IZich
07-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Go for it. The only measure to merit is what you see in the mirror.

Come back and tell us how everything works out.

Mr. D
07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Lyle's bulking plan on UD2.0 is practically a low-carb bulk with weekly refeeds.
Kelly Baggets plan is setup similiarly.
Dipasquele anabolic diet is set up similiarly.

I say try it out and see how YOUR body responds. Everyone is different, some respond to higher carbs and some to lower carbs.

BigBossMan
07-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I had a huge body recomp in the past 5 months doing this routine. Lost a good ten to fifteen pounds of fat and gained considerable muscle and gains in my lifts. I've been steadily gaining weight and maintaining my relative leanness, so I guess you'd call this a slow bulk. I guess I just wanted to see if there was any merit to what I was doing.

5'10/11, 170 lbs, 10-11% bf

How many carbs you eat a day.....in grams? How about non-lifting days

Chubrock
07-12-2007, 11:27 AM
I've been keeping my carbs under 60grams or so during the week, except for one meal on Wednesday which is slightly higher. From Friday afternoon to Saturday night, I cheat/carb load. Sunday is back on to the under 60grams. I've been doing this for over a year now, both while cutting weight and gaining weight. Works for me. The key is to play around and see what works for you.

BigBossMan
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
How is the fat gain during bulking and how much above maintainance do you eat?

I am looking to start bulking hopefully in the next 4-8wks just trying to figure out how I want to go about it....thanks for the help.

Chubrock
07-12-2007, 12:47 PM
I'll be honest. I think people put wayyy too much thought in this. I don't track calories at all anymore. If I lose weight I eat more, if I gain too much I eat less. As far as fat gain, it seems as though I have less on this bulk than in the past when I used other methods.

MMEI
07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
How many carbs you eat a day.....in grams? How about non-lifting days

Like the other poster, I'd say less than 40 to 60 carbs a day, with the occasional cheat on weekends. I have recently been making sure I get a good amount of carbs before/after a workout and I just have a ridiculous energy surge (maybe from not having carbs throughout the days/nights). I don't really watch my calories or carb intake either, I just focus on getting enough protein, a healthy amount of veggies and fat, while making sure I don't overeat.

MMEI
07-12-2007, 12:56 PM
No, you should probably do a lot more reading.

With all due respect, its better to correct someone on how he is wrong than to just tell him hes wrong.

Unholy
07-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Sorry. You asked a yes or no question though. If you mentioned cycling carbs around workouts thats a different story. If you wanted a more detailed response it would have been simple enough as not asking a yes or no question.

Sorry =(