PDA

View Full Version : Squat Form Check (& Hang Cleans)

philou123
07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Ok so last week I posted a vid of me "squatting" 315x1: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98838

From the feedback I got it was quite clear that I had some work to do on my form. So I did my homework (watched vids and read up on it) and gave squatting another shot yesterday. Watching myself I think I could go a couple inches lower, but overall I think it's much better already. Let me know what ya'll think.

225lbs x 8
8QWVJldVXfM

Also, while I had my camera at the gym I decided to record myself doing Hang Cleans because I'm fairly new to this exercise and it's pretty technical. Feel free to comment.

145lbs x 5
Mdu9STsWD4k

Rock Steady
07-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Squats do look much better, but you could go another couple inches lower like you said. Also, you may not want to lock your knees out like that each rep - you're not doing them any favors.

I don't know much about hang cleans, but it looks like you need to lower the weight and work on your form. You don't seem to have complete control.

Keith
07-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Your squats didn't reach parallel on any rep but they have improved a lot since your last vid. As Rock Steady stated, don't fully lock out the knees. I could be wrong about this, but it somewhat looks like you're bending from the knees first. Try driving back with your hips first and allow all the weight to be on your heels.

RBB
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM
it somewhat looks like you're bending from the knees first. Try driving back with your hips first and allow all the weight to be on your heels.

exactly. try to really sit back into it, don't bend your knees at first. squats looked a lot better this time. hang cleans looked ok, but i'm no expert on those. the lady behind you in the red shirt had me laughing my ass off, she looked like she was working hard, lol.

TheLion
07-10-2007, 10:31 AM
try to sit back some more on your squats. push your butt out and sit back. stick your stomach and chest out as far as possible. you may find it easier if you can more the bar down on your back a little bit. but if you cant and it doesnt feel comfortable, don't do it. make sure you flair out your knees a little on the way back up. dont bend them in. i use to have a problem doing that. but overall, not bad form. i see WAY worse everytime i'm in the gym

Chubrock
07-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Couple of points, most of which have been mentioned.

1) Break your hips back first before bending your knees. Think about pushing your hips farther and farther back. This will bring your glutes and hamstrings into the movement moreso than squatting with your knees way out in front, nevermind the fact that it is also a lot easier on your knees.

2) Push your knees out to the side as you sit back. You'll hear a lot of people refer to this as "opening the groin." You might find that you have to rotate your toes out a bit in order to really push your knees out. Don't let your knees come in.

3) You're maintaining a solid arch, which is good.

4) Your depth wasn't that bad. Like you said, you could've dropped a bit more, but overall not bad.

markdk86
07-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Hang clean.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj-nov-05/hang-clean.wmv

Tofer
07-10-2007, 03:50 PM
You really need to get the bar into a clean position if you're going to do cleans. That means you're catching the bar with your shoulders and basically only getting your fingertips under the bar. Your not going to be holding the bar with your hands, it should be nice and steady on your delts. Right now it seems like you're going right into a grip you'd use for pressing.

Munky
07-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I may be an idiot for this question but anyone have a video of someone squating without locking out?

Keith
07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I may be an idiot for this question but anyone have a video of someone squating without locking out?

Ya, me:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98938

j_man_honda
07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
hahahahah!! Lady in the red shirt:D I agree with everyone else, don't lock your knees.tuttut