PDA

View Full Version : is it true that you pass out excess protein in your urine?

backseatwitme13
07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
that if you eat more protein than your body can take, you just pee it all away?

porto_6
07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
yes...yes it is...

miller2007
07-11-2007, 07:32 AM
that if you eat more protein than your body can take, you just pee it all away?

Yes it is quite true. I have also heard that excess intake of proteins does no good for the body and is released out.

ShockBoxer
07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
So if you ate 10,000 calories of only protein a day you'd never gain weight because you peed most of it out?

markdk86
07-11-2007, 07:54 AM
So if you ate 10,000 calories of only protein a day you'd never gain weight because you peed most of it out?

Access calories get stored as energy or are used for bodily repair and function. Possibly some get pee'd out because 10,000 calories of protein... I don't know how a body can process all of that lol.

Not to mention you will die without carbohydrates. You need two things to live. Sugar and oxygen :D.

Unreal
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
You will not die without carbs.

No you will not piss it out. Your body with convert it into an energy source and burn it, or convert it to fat and store it.

ShockBoxer
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Shhhh... I want to hear the reason that people believe that the body reaches a certain point and says 'no more protein. I'm done digesting it. It's just going straight to waste without being processed'. Don't rerail it with facts, Unreal. :)

MrWebb78
07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
You need two things to live. Sugar and oxygen :D.

what about water?

Guido
07-11-2007, 10:11 AM
what about water?Overrated. ;)

markdk86
07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
what about water?

Not water, but beeeeeeer.

markdk86
07-11-2007, 10:14 AM

No you will not piss it out. Your body with convert it into an energy source and burn it, or convert it to fat and store it.

If you enjoy being a blob. Go ahead.

markdk86
07-11-2007, 10:15 AM
what about water?

I was speaking more of just brain activity, veggie in a bed type of life. But erm, yes, water.

Jeffreyk
07-11-2007, 10:39 AM

you will be very close....trust me....from experience....my body shut down on me and I was admitted to the ER from lack of carbs = lack of mental function, organ malfunction, low blood sugar, etc........maybe just me...

AND, excess protein = fat gain - no ? about that.......cals in vs out.......piss it away my ass...

Relentless
07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Title changed to be something meaningful.

Lets keep the responses on point and worthwhile, people. If you don't have something useful to contribute, don't post.

For those that are confused about carb-free diets, you may want to read up on ketogenesis. Maybe also check out that Lyle MacDonald guy. He knows a thing or two about what happens when you don't eat carbs.

Mr. D
07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
you will be very close....trust me....from experience....my body shut down on me and I was admitted to the ER from lack of carbs = lack of mental function, organ malfunction, low blood sugar, etc........maybe just me...

AND, excess protein = fat gain - no ? about that.......cals in vs out.......piss it away my ass...

Can we blame the low carbs or can we blame your anorexia and drug addiction for that????

Hatred
07-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I have a problem with some of the above.

I have to believe that there is an oversaturation point where you could eat 20,000k and well, couldn't do jack with the excess above what can be stored.
I'm far from a diet guru and have never eaten to the point of such excess so I don't know... but if your body can't get to it all to digest it's gotta go somewhere...

I'd imagine an episode much like when I eat 50 "super insane" wings occurs where there is a rapid and violent evacuation of the bowels.

Otherwise that japanese guy that eats all the hotdogs would be a million pounds and/or dead.

teenathlete3030
07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
What if you're hitting your daily calorie amount but a large portion is protein? Say you get 0.5g fat/lb of LBM and about 100g of carbs (mostly after workout) but the rest is protein. If you're eating for a 500 calorie excess, are you saying that you'll get rid of the excess protein and you'll actually only be getting way less calories and actually lose weight? I'm having a hard time understanding.

Mr. D
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
protein does have a higher TEF. Ive seen Lyle explain the mumbo jumbo before.

But by consuming too much protein, it just becomes an "expensive form of glucose"

Unreal
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM

Your wrong. Carbs are not essential at all. You may feel tired, and go through a period while entering ketosis where you feel like crap, but once your body is running of ketones, you will live just fine. I went almost a year with maybe 20g of carbs a day max.

Fat gain if your over maintence, otherwise like I said it will be converted to a form of energy and burnt (just like Mr D said, expensive form glucose).

DannyJAllTheWay
07-14-2007, 06:37 PM
To answer the original question:
If you eat more protein than your body can take, do you just pee it all away?

Your body does not have the ability to store [excess]* protein! To compensate for this, excess protein is either utilized as energy or is stored in the body in a different form. It's not as though you can eat all the protein you want without any undesirable effect.

Nitrogen from the excess amino acids, however, is used to create urea, which is peed away (while potentially putting a strain on the kidneys).

Hope this helps!

*edit

Max Thunder
07-15-2007, 07:11 PM
The body does have the ability to store protein. Forgot about muscles?

Proteins are too big to be passed in the urine in any significant amount, unless you have damaged kidneys.

Unreal
07-16-2007, 08:51 AM
That isn't storing protein. That is using it for synthesis of new tissue. It isn't like carbs that can be stored as glycogen or fat which gets stored as fat for use later.