PDA

View Full Version : New diet - comments please!

delphys50
07-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Morning all. I have just finished a pretty successful cut (around 6% BF which is exactly where I wanted to be). I've lost a little more lean mass than I would have liked but hey, such is life. I now feel I have a good solid blank canvass upon which to build muscle. I'm going to try and do it very carefully though. I've tried the eat all bulk before and even being reasonably clean I just ended up looking fat. I hit over 200lbs and am only about 155 now at 6% so that gives you an idea of how wrong I got my last bulk! I've been slowly transitioning out of my cut and am going to stick at maintenance for a couple of weeks before carefully ramping up the cals (when I find my maintenance that is - the more I eat the more my metabolism seems to be catching me up and I am still losing a little at the moment). So this isn't quite my diet yet but on some days it is and I'm working up to this being my regular diet within the next couple of weeks (subject to the cycling comments below)

So here is my typical day at the moment.

0700: Glutamine 10g

0715-0800: Cardio

0810-0830: Smoothie (1 banana, handful of strawberries, 10g oats, 100ml semi-skimmed milk, little water)
50g oats with 100ml semi-skimmed milk and water
6 hard boiled eggs (4 white only, 2 whole egg)

45g P, 85g C, 30g fat (approx) (700 cals)

1100: Tinned salmon with rocket/spinach, 25g cashew nuts

28P, 6C, 23F (325 cals)

1330: 100g brown rice, 130gm turkey breast, also with a little salad

42P, 73C, 4F (500cals)

1445: LA muscle flapjack

17P, 60C, 8F (375 cals)

1530: Weights workout

1630: Shake - 2 scoops whey, 1 scoop maltodextrin
40P, 50C, 4F (400 cals)

1730: Another flapjack
17P, 60C. 8F (375 cals)

1900: Some form of lean meat with 2 portions of fibrous veg - (no none veg carbs)
40P, 20C, 2F (300 cals)

Total:
230P, 355C, 85F
Cals approx: 3000
My estimated BMR is around 1800, plus with my cardio and weights I burn an extra 700-ish. That gives me a calories surplus of around 500 per day = 3500 per week = 1lb gain (hopefully of muscle per week).

General comments would be appreciated, although I am interested specifically in views about the following:

1. The flapjacks pre and post-post workout. There seem to be mixed views on the subject of whether to take a relatively medium/high GI product just before working out (ie in addition to the slower burning pre-workout meal). Also after the post-workout shake some people seem to think a full meal of complex (and low GI) carbs is in order, others a more medium GI or at least insulin producing meal. Any thoughts? Also I only tend to add the flapacks in on heavy training days (legs, back, chest) and on other days (arms, shoulders) take in the extra cals elsewhere.

2. Assuming I want to keep the cardio where do I go from here? Which is the best time to increase cals from this point and with more protein/carbs or fats?
I'll probably throw in some more fats and maybe an extra small meal before bed.

3. I do a sort of calorie/carb cycle even when bulking so I alter the above a bit depending on what I am doing. As said this would probably represent a heavy day of lifting. On a lighter day I would cut back the carbs by about 100 and on a rest day drop down to around 150. I keep the other macros around the same so hence calorie cycle a bit as well. Any views on that?

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing from you.

Delphys

delphys50
07-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Anyone? Or is the post just too damn long to read?!! :-)

BigBossMan
07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Looks Like you have everything figured out okay to me. I prefer highest GI possible in the post workout I use nitrean protein I think it would be Ideal to have a whey isolate protein but I use the mix for now seems fine.
I would maybe add some more fats.....what is your fat breakdown I try and stay under 10% on saturated. I am cutting though right now so I haven't done a bulk yet. I can't be too much help but your cals look good about 20% over maintainance right? Your maintainance is 3000?

I always make super long posts too.....I type real fast and just get carried away! no biggy.....good job on the cut man 6% is impressive...got pics? I can't seem to break the 165lbs threshold I need to be more committed to cardio! just can't seem to find the time.

smalls
07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Looks fine to start out with, just realize adjustments will be necassary to continue weight gain. But why the cardio on an empty stomach when gaining muscle is your goal?

Built
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
And what's with the glutamine?

Mr. D
07-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Looks fine to start out with, just realize adjustments will be necassary to continue weight gain. But why the cardio on an empty stomach when gaining muscle is your goal?

Well I think his cals are high enough to compensate for the cardio. Plus there is some thought to increased activity leads to better partitioning.

Built
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Sure. But empty?

smalls
07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Sure. But empty?

Exactly, I understand the benefits of cardio. But all of those, minus the possible negative affects, are acheived with food circulating.

So as the goddess built has questioned, empty? Why.

Mr. D
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Ooh. I must have glanced over the empty part.

Sorry about that.

Al3X
07-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Just stick to your diet, and lift!

delphys50
07-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Ok - I know the empty part is not ideal. I only manage to keep my cardio regular though by getting up an hour earlier than I normally would and squeezing it in there. I can't get up yet a futher hour earlier just to eat first. And if I didn't do it here, it wouldn't get done and I really want to keep it up even though I am bulking. I am a big believer that 500 calories eaten and burnt are better than 0 calories eaten and burnt if that makes sense even though the net effect on calorie surplus is 0. I'd rather eat more and burn more. This is for the nutrient partioning effect but also just the other general health benefits of cardio. Plus I think it will assist keeping me lean-ish during my bulk.

The glutamine before the cardio is there as I have been led to believe it assists in reducing catabolism... Am I misinformed in that?

Anyway, that said Im going to try and modify it a bit anyway. I'm going to cut back to 3 times a week morning steady state and add in two HIIT sessions on rest days. I'm going to try the wannabebig 1.1 and work: Day 1 upper (with morning SS), day 2 lower (with am ss), Day 3 - HIIT, Day 4 upper, day 5 lower (with am ss), day 6 HIIT, day 7 off completely.

Sound better?

delphys50
07-13-2007, 08:02 AM
p.s. going to have a go at some photos later so i'll keep you posted if I manage to get them to work...

smalls
07-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok - I know the empty part is not ideal. I only manage to keep my cardio regular though by getting up an hour earlier than I normally would and squeezing it in there. I can't get up yet a futher hour earlier just to eat first. And if I didn't do it here, it wouldn't get done and I really want to keep it up even though I am bulking. I am a big believer that 500 calories eaten and burnt are better than 0 calories eaten and burnt if that makes sense even though the net effect on calorie surplus is 0. I'd rather eat more and burn more. This is for the nutrient partioning effect but also just the other general health benefits of cardio. Plus I think it will assist keeping me lean-ish during my bulk.

The glutamine before the cardio is there as I have been led to believe it assists in reducing catabolism... Am I misinformed in that?

Anyway, that said Im going to try and modify it a bit anyway. I'm going to cut back to 3 times a week morning steady state and add in two HIIT sessions on rest days. I'm going to try the wannabebig 1.1 and work: Day 1 upper (with morning SS), day 2 lower (with am ss), Day 3 - HIIT, Day 4 upper, day 5 lower (with am ss), day 6 HIIT, day 7 off completely.

Sound better?

I personally like that better but it's gotta work for you. I would still eat some calories before the steady state A.M. cardio, it's going to be more anti-catabolic than the glutamine. Looks good.

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 11:10 AM
glutamine is something that everyone has told me not to take....however. I had some leftover that I bought awhile ago and I was putting it in my post workout shake for about three weeks.....then I stopped for about a week..during that week it seemed to me like I lost muscle mass during my cut could have all been in my head but I put it back in this last week and it seems to be helping.....I dunno...I doubt I will buy more of it though as it is expensive as hell so when this bottle runs out thats it

Built
07-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Read "how to do cardio if you must" - you can work that into wbb1 instead of baby got back. Protocol's all worked out for you.

HahnB
07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
As you increase your cals you might find it easier to include more calorie dense foods. That's a lot of food for only 3k cals.