PDA

View Full Version : I have weight issues.

Ragana
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
My freshman year I was in wrestling and I weighed 220 lb. and I thought I was fit enough for myself. Now I am a junior, 6' and weight 250lb and I am starting to get concerned about my health. I usually don't do any physical activities anymore and just sit at home. I want to get a good nutrition plan going so I can loose some weigh and build some muscle at the same time. I have a membership at the local gym, but, I don't go there often enough. If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

~Chaz

IZich
07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
chaz:

we'll definitely do our best to help you out here on these forums. Welcome.

First thing you need to do is read the stickies up at the top of this forum. That should give you some starting pointers as to what to do.

Ragana
07-11-2007, 02:44 PM
The thing is, I don't really understand all this carb, protein, etc.. stuff so it's all very confusing for me.

love2sweat
07-11-2007, 03:47 PM
you'll get a hang of it... i'm fairly new as well.

BigBossMan
07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
The thing is, I don't really understand all this carb, protein, etc.. stuff so it's all very confusing for me.

I guess it all depends on how scientific you want to be about it. If you are simply concerned about losing weight it is simple....you need to burn more calories then you eat....I have achieved this in the past by simply noticing how much I eat and cutting back on it I went from 198 my fattest point ever almost 200 back down to 170 just by eating less and healthier. The cool thing is the fatter you are the faster you can lose the fat. As far as carb/fats/protiens they say 1-1.5 gram of protein for pound of lean body mass(how much weigh minus all your fat so just your muscles and bones and organs) fats they say .5g/LBM I try and stick to healthy fats RDA says less then 8% saturated fat i believe. Avoid trans fats. then fill in the rest with carbs and I try and stick to complex carbs sprouted wheat avoid sugars. I noticed that not drinking soda made me almost immediately start losing weight soda must make you really fat for some reason I think it is the high fructose corn syrup!

Ragana
07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I guess it all depends on how scientific you want to be about it. If you are simply concerned about losing weight it is simple....you need to burn more calories then you eat....I have achieved this in the past by simply noticing how much I eat and cutting back on it I went from 198 my fattest point ever almost 200 back down to 170 just by eating less and healthier. The cool thing is the fatter you are the faster you can lose the fat. As far as carb/fats/protiens they say 1-1.5 gram of protein for pound of lean body mass(how much weigh minus all your fat so just your muscles and bones and organs) fats they say .5g/LBM I try and stick to healthy fats RDA says less then 8% saturated fat i believe. Avoid trans fats. then fill in the rest with carbs and I try and stick to complex carbs sprouted wheat avoid sugars. I noticed that not drinking soda made me almost immediately start losing weight soda must make you really fat for some reason I think it is the high fructose corn syrup!

The thing is, I don't know where carbs, complex carbs, etc... is found. Can I get a basic idea of what kind of foods I should be eating?

Hatred
07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
THe reason people blow diets is because they over complicate them.

If you buy it at a fast food place don't eat it.

eat less move more.
You Will feel hungry. even after a meal sometimes.You are supposed to; you are eating less calories than you burn.

Cut the calories down until you have a command of knowedge about the rest.

Unholy
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Hatred is right, Simple somtimes is best.

BigBossMan
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
eat less move more.

I love it.... my mom always does the new fad diets and buys all the books and they have people going around the country making millions of dollars trying to teach americans how to tame the beast that is there belly......and hatred does all that in four words......LMAO I even saw an infomercial the other night where this company actually sends you all the food you eat in the mail!!!!!

BBB
07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
There's a sticky around here somewhere titled "What a bodybuilder eats" - Read that.

Ragana
08-22-2007, 09:16 PM
There's a sticky around here somewhere titled "What a bodybuilder eats" - Read that.

Could not find it.

If someone could help me tough, I would really appreciate it.

Railroader
08-22-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

fpr
08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Check a book out from the library, stop asking for it on a silver platter -- I assume you can read?

Could not find it.

If someone could help me tough, I would really appreciate it.

Built
08-23-2007, 12:01 AM
I actually wrote an article called just that: Eat less and move more (http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/open-source-fitness/).

Al3X
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
"I usually don't do any physical activities anymore and just sit at home. I want to get a good nutrition plan going so I can loose some weigh and build some muscle at the same time. I have a membership at the local gym, but, I don't go there often enough."

.. is what you need to change. Without proper nutrition you won't lose or gain weight. Without training you won't gain strength, and muscle. Read the stickies, use a prescribed workout plan, and join fitday.com

Guido
08-23-2007, 09:16 AM
"I usually don't do any physical activities anymore and just sit at home. I want to get a good nutrition plan going so I can loose some weigh and build some muscle at the same time. I have a membership at the local gym, but, I don't go there often enough."

.. is what you need to change. Without proper nutrition you won't lose or gain weight. Without training you won't gain strength, and muscle. Read the stickies, use a prescribed workout plan, and join fitday.comI was just about to post something similar. You almost answered your own question in your initial post. Basically, do the OPPOSITE of what you are doing. Your body is a reflection of what you DO.

If you sit around doing nothing and eat crap, you will look like it. If you run 15 miles a day and don't eat a lot, you'll look like an emaciated marathon runner. If you eat healthy and lift heavy weights a few days a week, plus do some short duration intense cardio, you will look like a healthy, strong, fit person.

Legend1029
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
www.fitday.com is a good way for keeping track of ur diet.

U want low carbs high protein. But a decent carb meal b4 u work out.

DoUgL@S
08-23-2007, 10:22 AM
If wrestling was helping keep you fit, maybe you should wrestle again. This will help you get started while you get your diet and routine down.

IZich
08-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Check a book out from the library, stop asking for it on a silver platter -- I assume you can read?

I can only assume that you've never checked out a book from the library to answer a question that we on the forums have information to.

mickyjune26
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Please stick to built's article and don't check out a book from the library. There are many bad diet's out there, and i'd hate to see you get sidetracked.

Find a way to enjoy any change you make and feel good about making this change. Think about all the great things the change brings to the table. Write them down. Read them every morning until you get a physical good feeling when you read them. Write down all the bad things about not changing. Read these until you physically feel disgusted about even considering them.

In the end, you will do what feels good. This is a great opportunity to change how your brain thinks.

Take small steps. Have fun (ex: instead of "i have to eat healthy now", think, "I am going to find a way to make a healthy dinner that tastes really awesome!".

Never quit. You will do this if you follow this advice.

Ragana
08-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks built, thats a great article, the problem is that i have trouble understand the carbs/fiber/etc... where to find them and what to avoid and heck, I dont even know that they are lol.

Cards
08-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Carbs - Pastas, breads, things of that nature.

Protein - PEANUT BUTTER, meats, fish, cottage cheese, etc.

Fats - Saturated (The bad kind) Fast food, whole milk, butters,
Unsaturated, poly saturated, mono saturated - just read the labels for this one or eat peanut butter, the natural kind.

Basically as everyone’s been saying man, turn it into something you enjoy. If you make it into something you hate, you're going to do just that and hate every minute of it. The main goal in losing weight as most everyone here has said is to
"Burn more calories than you eat and eat healthy"
This sounds terrible, trust me. It's really not. Go to the store, pick up a steak, and drink 2% milk. Find things you enjoy and if they're high in calories don't eat it all. You will be hungry at first and it's going to take time.

Next, head to the local gym you are a part of and start off on a premade routine that looks semi interesting for you. I recommend BGB or WBB 1.1. Take the first week or two and learn the exercises and how to do them, what weights are good for you. If you don’t like the exercise, don't do it. Replace it with something that is interesting!

In the end man, there is only one thing that is important. It's not what you eat, how hard you work, it's about enjoying what you're doing because if you don't enjoy it and you look at it like a chore everyday it's just not going to happen. Take baby steps.

Eat healthy, enjoy what you're doing, and lift heavy.

RhodeHouse
08-25-2007, 07:32 PM
You're a junior in High School? Pardon my phrasing, but get off your fat ass and do something. At your age, a diet is the last thing you need. Stop being lazy and do something. Sorry it's not the answer you want, but really? Get off the damn computer and do something.

Built
08-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Carbs - Pastas, breads, things of that nature.

Protein - PEANUT BUTTER, meats, fish, cottage cheese, etc.
Peanut butter is more of a fat source. There's really very little protein in peanut butter.

It's a GOOD fat, I totally love the stuff, but I eat if for the fat.

Fats - Saturated (The bad kind) Fast food, whole milk, butters,

Butter is healthy saturated fat. So is whole milk.

Unsaturated, poly saturated, mono saturated - just read the labels for this one or eat peanut butter, the natural kind.

Basically as everyone’s been saying man, turn it into something you enjoy. If you make it into something you hate, you're going to do just that and hate every minute of it. The main goal in losing weight as most everyone here has said is to
"Burn more calories than you eat and eat healthy"
This sounds terrible, trust me. It's really not. Go to the store, pick up a steak, and drink 2% milk. Find things you enjoy and if they're high in calories don't eat it all. You will be hungry at first and it's going to take time.
You don't need to feel hungry to lose weight - if you eat more satisfying food, you can undereat and not mind.

Next, head to the local gym you are a part of and start off on a premade routine that looks semi interesting for you. I recommend BGB or WBB 1.1. Take the first week or two and learn the exercises and how to do them, what weights are good for you. If you don’t like the exercise, don't do it. Replace it with something that is interesting!

Good advice here. Watch your form, focus on compound (multi joint) free weight movements, keep it light until you know the movement. You'll be adding iron to the bar soon enough.

In the end man, there is only one thing that is important. It's not what you eat, how hard you work, it's about enjoying what you're doing because if you don't enjoy it and you look at it like a chore everyday it's just not going to happen. Take baby steps.

Eat healthy, enjoy what you're doing, and lift heavy.

:thumbup:

Ragana
03-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys. I want to lose weight and yet build muscle. If I start dropping pounds will I drop all my muscle I have as well?

Is there a daily workout routine I could follow?

Built
03-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Start here:

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/open-source-fitness/