PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla diet vs human diet

jackal42
07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
hi, this is my first post.
Anyway I was at work today thinking about how genetically strong gorillas are, and what they eat. I was sure that they only ate plant matter(and they do), and got to wondering where they got their protein from to build muscle.

My (philisophical) question is, how come humans do need protein, from animals, milk etc(or do we)?

Built
07-11-2007, 04:03 PM
We just do.

Welcome to the board.

lakeripple
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
From my understanding, animal protein is the most readily available, and easily balanced in a diet. Some of the original greek olympiads did train on vegeterian diets, although I can't say how successfull they were. Welcome to the board.

BigBossMan
07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
My question would be how do you know how genetically strong gorillas are? Have you ever seen a gorilla do some squats or bench press. Secondly I know that there are veg body builders that eat no animal protein and seem to do fine. I have a book at home with some of their names and pics and they are pretty huge. I don't know whether or no they used the juice but there were pics of all kinds of veg builders. Ovo-lacto/vegans etc...

Welcome to the board as well

marc_____
07-12-2007, 06:58 AM
My physics professor mentioned in a lecture, that the arms of a gorilla (or chimp) are constructed slightly different then that of humans. The tendon that joins the upper and lower arm of a gorilla has a larger angle, therefore they can lift more. However that only explains about how they lift heavier objects. I was trying to find more info on this and came across this post that is interesting;

groups.google.com.vc/group/talk.origins/browse_thread/thread/33ce73b6b9604fcc/ac2c840af42b7afc

ps. i cant post links yet!

Cirino83
07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
My question would be how do you know how genetically strong gorillas are? Have you ever seen a gorilla do some squats or bench press.

I would bet money that a full grown male gorilla (if he knew how) could out lift any man in the world.

Unholy
07-12-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree haha, we had this thread a while ago, WSM vs Male Silverback gorilla.

zen
07-12-2007, 09:31 AM
My physics professor mentioned in a lecture, that the arms of a gorilla (or chimp) are constructed slightly different then that of humans. The tendon that joins the upper and lower arm of a gorilla has a larger angle, therefore they can lift more. However that only explains about how they lift heavier objects. I was trying to find more info on this and came across this post that is interesting;

groups.google.com.vc/group/talk.origins/browse_thread/thread/33ce73b6b9604fcc/ac2c840af42b7afc

ps. i cant post links yet!

I'm not saying that it's true, but it would make sense. A tendon attached closer to the joint would produce less torque but more speed (given that all other things were equal, including total muscular force applied). Gorillas are not major tree climbers like other primates, but I can still see how humans would have developed muscle attachment points less oriented around strength and more adaptive for speed than a gorilla.

BigBossMan
07-12-2007, 05:32 PM
. Gorillas have larger muscles in their arms than in their legs (the opposite is true for humans). This is primarily due to the fact that they use their increased arm strength for bending and gathering foliage and for defense. Although capable of walking upright on two feet they most often walk as a quadruped (on four limbs).

The gorilla's powerful arms are used for
defense and bending foliage.

2. Gorillas' arms are much longer than their legs and their arm span is about 30 cm (1 ft) longer than that of an adult human male. The elongated arms indicate a tree-dwelling ancestry even though gorillas are now primarily terrestrial (ground-dwelling).

3. An adult gorilla's upper body strength is six times more powerful than that of an adult human - enabling them to lift, break, and squeeze heavy objects.

Maybe if you walked around on all fours instead of your legs you would get hayoooge like a gorilla

CarlP
07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
They wouldn't have far to pull a deadlift with those long arms.

smalls
07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
hi, this is my first post.
Anyway I was at work today thinking about how genetically strong gorillas are, and what they eat. I was sure that they only ate plant matter(and they do), and got to wondering where they got their protein from to build muscle.

My (philisophical) question is, how come humans do need protein, from animals, milk etc(or do we)?

Gorillas, like many animals other than us, have the ability to manufacture the essential amino acids that are necassary.

Also, gorilla's do eat insects both consciously and unconsciously through their intake of plants. Not a whole lot of protein, but when your eating 40lbs of vegatation a day protein intake ads up. They also sleep about 70% of their life so as to not expend too many calories, their lives and therefore diets are obviously a bit different than ours.

So to answer your question, gorilla's need protein just like the rest of us. But none of us NEED that much.