PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise On A Cut

drewk302
07-12-2007, 06:23 AM
ok i train in mma and i have my 1st fight on august 25th. i am at 245lbs i need to get to 220. i do not want to cut on the last day i want to get to 220 asap what is the best way? other than my training. should i go all liquid? i do need some carbs in the a.m. of i get weak. all help is appreciated. oh, i am 6' about 20-22% BF thanks

Cirino83
07-12-2007, 08:53 AM
if you have experience cutting, you could try a more 'drastic' approach such as a PSMF for a few weeks since you don't have a whole lot of time to cut. If you don't have experience cutting, I would suggest maybe carb cycling?

drewk302
07-12-2007, 09:04 AM
what is psmf?

Cirino83
07-12-2007, 10:01 AM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4844

BBB
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
ok i train in mma and i have my 1st fight on august 25th. i am at 245lbs i need to get to 220. i do not want to cut on the last day i want to get to 220 asap what is the best way? other than my training. should i go all liquid? i do need some carbs in the a.m. of i get weak. all help is appreciated. oh, i am 6' about 20-22% BF thanks

You're an MMA fighter and you don't have anyone to help you with a cut?

IMO, you still have a lot of time before your weigh in - and you can always follow the BB protocol for shedding water weight in the last three-four days, which should take care of 5-7 lbs of water for a guy your size. So, in the meantime you need to drop 18-20 lbs in the next...6 weeks...totally doable - but you're going to have to be h***a committed to it.

Usually, I'd say figure out what your maintenance calories are, but you don't really have time for that. You need to clean up your diet - quick and start doing some serious conditioning.

Since you are a fighter I recommend jumping rope and running as your primary ways of burning the fat off. I'd start with 30 minutes of running every morning and then 30 minutes of jump rope later - preferably after your training sessions. You can always add to this each week - so that by the end of it you are doing an hour or so of each. You can always bike too.

Diet: For a guy your size (without knowing your maintenance) you'd usually diet on about 3185 calories a day (=body weight x 13). But, since you have a lot to lose in a pretty short period of time - I'd start at 3000 calories a day - give it a week and asses how it went. You can always drop it lower if you need to.

Of these 3000 calories a day, you should get about 245 g of protein from lean meats, eggs, cottage cheese, fish, tuna, etc. You also are going to need to get about 122.5 g of healthy fats from fish oil caps, egg yolks, nuts, seeds, olive oil, some butter, avocados, etc. And you need to get 25 g of fiber per day which will come from fruit (apples), fiberous veggies, oatmeal, wheat bran, etc. That leaves you 3000-245*4-122.5*9 = 917.5 calories a day for whatever - carbs, more protein, more fat - whatever you like.

Start up an account at www.fitday.com It's free - you can enter foods there to make sure that you are getting enough of everything. Hope this helps.

Vapour Trails
07-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd go more hardcore, better to be ahead of where you need to be rather than scrambling to lose water weight right before.

BBB
07-12-2007, 11:41 AM
He's got six weeks. 3-4 lbs a week - and if he goes too hard core I would think that he'd loose both muscle and strength = no good for a fighter. Lots of guys shoot themselves in the foot dropping a weight class for a fight. The only thing I might go more hard core on to start is the cardio.

Vapour Trails
07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
You think some at over 20% bf is going to lose much muscle?

shootermcgavin7
07-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Is your weigh-in the day of, or day before?

drewk302
07-16-2007, 05:37 PM
The weigh it is the day before. I didnt want to drop 20lbs the day before though thats why i wanted to do it gradually. Its my first fight and i dont want to be tired from cutting.

shootermcgavin7
07-16-2007, 05:54 PM
The weigh it is the day before. I didnt want to drop 20lbs the day before though thats why i wanted to do it gradually. Its my first fight and i dont want to be tired from cutting.

No, but if you were within about 5 lbs......you could easily drop 5 the day before and gain it back the day of the fight.