PDA

View Full Version : Sumo and Conv.? or just one?

Natetaco
07-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I was wondering, as a powerlifter, should you do both types? I mean I know it seems it would be optimal, but most of the strongest powerlifters seem to just stick with one or the other. I personally have always done conventional till i got in a rut, now im doing sumo, im weaker with sumo but i thought it would come up fast.

What do you guys think?

Detard
07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I think that you(not in particular, but in general) should work both. Maybe not equally as much but if your primarily pulling sumo (or if your pulling sumo in a meet) you should switch up for a week or 2 and do some conventional work every once in a while. Or you could do your sumo deads then do raised conventional or bands or chains or whatever you want. I know Chris Rodgers does raised conventional deads. Just my .02

Detard
07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh and when I switched over to sumo I was weaker aswell but it came up fast.

TommyBoy
07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I do both as well. You'll always feel comfortable pulling one way, but you'll be stronger if you train both.

Natetaco
07-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I do both as well. You'll always feel comfortable pulling one way, but you'll be stronger if you train both.

ok do you suggest doing like conventional for 4 weeks then going over to sumo? Or doing both lifts in the same cycle?

What do you thinks the most effective way to get my dead up, either conv or sumo.

TommyBoy
07-12-2007, 06:28 PM
ok do you suggest doing like conventional for 4 weeks then going over to sumo? Or doing both lifts in the same cycle?

What do you thinks the most effective way to get my dead up, either conv or sumo.
Mix them both in on the same cycle. I alternate by feel, each time I deadlift. Most of the time I do sumo speed pulls, and conventional rack pulls. It's totally up to you. I recommend doing more of which ever one is weaker.

Natetaco
07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Mix them both in on the same cycle. I alternate by feel, each time I deadlift. Most of the time I do sumo speed pulls, and conventional rack pulls. It's totally up to you. I recommend doing more of which ever one is weaker.

alright, well at the moment sumo is weaker. So thats what im training as the ME lift. The other week i worked up to a 3rm on sumo and then did 225x20 on conventional afterward. think thats overkill?

TommyBoy
07-12-2007, 06:47 PM
alright, well at the moment sumo is weaker. So thats what im training as the ME lift. The other week i worked up to a 3rm on sumo and then did 225x20 on conventional afterward. think thats overkill?
Not necessarily, but I would personally never do 20 rep sets of deadlifts. You don't even need to do that; you could do a sumo type lift one week, then a conventional type lift the next week. Not only will you stimulate different muscle fibers, but you will also keep your CNS guessing.

Chris Rodgers
07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I like what Tommy has to say in this thread, although I would try a 20 rep set of deads. :)

RedSpikeyThing
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Only one thing to add: it's easier to spot weak points if you lift both. For example, your conventional higher than your sumo. That means your hips/hamstrings are weaker than your back.

Natetaco
07-14-2007, 06:02 PM
I like what Tommy has to say in this thread, although I would try a 20 rep set of deads. :)

they are absolutely brutal.

Sleepy Guy
07-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I ma naturally stronger at conventional. But yeah it takes time to build them.

20 rep sets are awesome just make sure the weight is fairly heavy. No wussing out.

Guido
07-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Ive never gone over 10 reps on deads. Ever.

I also try to do some sumo deads every once in a while. It's definitely weaker than my conventional, but it's a nice change of pace sometimes and helps work other things. I think it carries over more to squat, too.