PDA

View Full Version : Saturated Fats...

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I am still reading that book and according to this book it says that athletes should be eating absolutely no saturated fats....he says less than 10% of daily calories. This is not the first time I have heard this too. According to what he said that the boy has no use for sat fats except to the store them as fat. It was also stated that carrying excess fat around is useless for an athlete he recommends the lower the better. I think that his book is primarily directed at endurance athletes though not BB......

Just wondering what others opinions were on saturated fats

redivote
07-13-2007, 09:20 AM
i dont know about whice book ur talking about,
but from what i know, even the rda says that fat intake should be equaly split between all the 3 kinds of fat (mono,poly,sat)
also i dont remember where, but i have read that there is a good connection between sat.fat and testosterone...
anyway, i think sat fat has its place, in limitation of course like everything else...u cant avoid it completely anyway...

Built
07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
mmmm fat, link in my sig.

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 09:37 AM
it is optimum sports nutrition by Dr. Michael Colgan....he claims there are alot of things that the government is WAY behind in there research and there even things that they won't tell you becuase of lobbyist who will lose alot of money if they do come out with the info...

BBB
07-13-2007, 10:29 AM
LOL - you beat me to it Built.

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
mmmm fat, link in my sig.

Interesting read...yeah I get kinda confused with all the technical crap but it was pretty similar to the description he was giving with carbons and what not. He threw out the 30% figure as well. I am currently not doing a three way split... I might be too low on sats huh.

I am going to reread that section and try and make some sense of his logic.

I think his book is geared more for endurance athletes rather than people trying to build muscle he keeps saying how excess fat give you more resistence in training and more insulation increasing your temperature making it harder to avoid overheating....plus he is a skinny ol cross country runner looking guy!:nod:

Built
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Dietary fat doesn't make you fat.

And endurance runners need all the test production they can salvage!

Holto
07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Wow.

Are you sure he wasn't referring to trans fat?

*hopes Dr.Colgan isn't THAT clueless*

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Wow.

Are you sure he wasn't referring to trans fat?

*hopes Dr.Colgan isn't THAT clueless*

almost positive...it was even in bold and said sat fats have NO PLACE in an athletes diet.......I will check to make sure when I get home this evening and get back to you though!

Holto
07-13-2007, 01:55 PM
almost positive...it was even in bold and said sat fats have NO PLACE in an athletes diet.......I will check to make sure when I get home this evening and get back to you though!

I just can't imagine any type of Dr stating that Sat. Fats can't be used for energy.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-13-2007, 04:41 PM
That's terrible. Where did he get his degree? K-Mart?

Every current and updated nutrition class I've taken completely goes against this. -_-

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 07:06 PM
So finally made it home....and apparently I do retain information that I read! This is good new. So this is what the book says:

"Saturated fats, as the name implies, have all their carbon atoms 'saturated' with hydrogen. Unsaturated fats have empty spaces where hydrogen atoms are missing. These spaces link up with molecules of other substances in the body, so they make unsaturated fats much more biologically active. In contrast, saturated fats have empty links and are virtually inert. Their only biological role is as calories to be burned for energy. Because almost all athletes carry more energy reserve of fat than they will ever use they have no need for saturated fats at all. They are difficult to avoid in our fat-laden food supply, and you will not avoid them entirely. But to achieve optimum sports nutrition, you should make every effort to eliminate saturated fats from your diet"

He also says that saturated fats should be less then 10% of total caloric intake.

What do you guys think?:windup:

redivote
07-14-2007, 12:40 AM
:french:
So finally made it home....and apparently I do retain information that I read! This is good new. So this is what the book says:

"Saturated fats, as the name implies, have all their carbon atoms 'saturated' with hydrogen. Unsaturated fats have empty spaces where hydrogen atoms are missing. These spaces link up with molecules of other substances in the body, so they make unsaturated fats much more biologically active. In contrast, saturated fats have empty links and are virtually inert. Their only biological role is as calories to be burned for energy. Because almost all athletes carry more energy reserve of fat than they will ever use they have no need for saturated fats at all. They are difficult to avoid in our fat-laden food supply, and you will not avoid them entirely. But to achieve optimum sports nutrition, you should make every effort to eliminate saturated fats from your diet"

He also says that saturated fats should be less then 10% of total caloric intake.

i think what i have said before...
its ****,
u need some sat.fat to, like i said it has an infulence on testosterone and other hormons, u cant avoid it anyway, and the fat intake should be equaly split between all the 3

Built
07-14-2007, 12:48 AM

To be fair, in the "typical" ratio-based diet strategy most of the older books use, 30% of calories from fat is a fairly standard recommendation. Since roughly a third of these cals should come from each of poly, mono and unsaturates, this isn't entirely off-base. That being said, most of us here ascribe to the more appropriate "lbm-based dosing" strategy of at least half a gram of fat per pound LBM. Under this paradigm, a third, a third and a third still holds. My feeling is that should you wish to go higher-fat than this, lean more heavily on monos.

BigBossMan
07-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Okay he goes on to say that promoting fat loss-i.e. cutting for us. There should be a reduction of total fat intake and avoiding sat fats like the plague.
"When excess carbohydrate or protein is eaten the body makes complex metabolic adjustments to promote glycogen fuel. Hence you have to eat a big excess of these food before they are converted to bodyfat"

"its still a common myth that a calorie is a calorie, whether it comes from carbohydrate, fat, or protein. Not so. Fat calories are fatter. That is, numerous recent studies show that you put on more bodyfat by eating fat then the same number of calories from carbohydrate or protein."

He sites the following:
Elliot DL, et al. AM J Clin Nutr 1989;49:43
Herberg L, et al. J Lipid Res 1974;15:580
Jen KL, et al Physiol Behav 1981;72:161

This book was written in 1993

He also recommends really high carbs....complex carbs of course but he said carbs are used to refill muscle glycogen and therefore for optimum performance we should go to the gym everyday with are muscles stuffed with glycogen. He would recommend 400-500 carbs daily for someone of my weight. And he says somwhere that 25lbs of muscle gain per year would be the maximum....gaining .5lb a muscle per week. That is discouraging

BigBossMan
07-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Bovine Scatology?

Built
07-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Saturated fat promotes insulin resistance, doesn't it? On a cut, this is helpful.

<is confused>

CrazyK
07-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Saturated fats aren't good for you and you don't need very much to handily produce plenty of testosterone. Look up the american heart and lung association's stance on the topic for more info on this. However unsaturated fats are essential.

Al3X
07-15-2007, 08:09 AM
numerous recent studies

He sites the following:

Why don't you stick with books that promote this genre (not endurance runnning..)?

ddegroff
07-15-2007, 01:10 PM
He sites the following:

This book was written in 1993

Those sources are way too old. I would find a new source.

Max Thunder
07-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah right, evolution has lead to a body which stores its fat as monoinsaturated and cancer-inducing saturated fat. We must then conclude that burning body-fat must be dangerous for your arterie, that fasting is the worst thing you can do for your health and that you should eat carbs all the time so your body never burns the dangerous, evil saturated fats.

Eat your natural sources of saturated fat and stop caring about these stupid associations (ADA and others). Hell, that stupid diabetic association want people to eat even more carbs...

The best way to understand how "athletes shouldn't eat saturated fat" is an idiotic statement is to eat a diet high in saturated fat and completely devoid of carbs and notice the benefits.

Built
07-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Hell, that stupid diabetic association want people to eat even more carbs...

Isn't that just shocking? I mean, make it MORE obvious that they're in bed with Big Pharama, okay?

BigBossMan
07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Those sources are way too old. I would find a new source.

Yeah it is definetely an older book....it was recommended by Alan Aragon in his interview with WBB. It was the only one of his recommendations I could find so far. I will probably finish reading it just for the hell of it. I am interested in chapter 32 where he talks about testosterone and GH within the body. Curious to see what he has to say. Any recommendations for newer good books. I am going to pick UD2.0 as soon as I can everyone really seems to like Lyle Mcdonald!

ddegroff
07-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah it is definetely an older book....it was recommended by Alan Aragon in his interview with WBB. It was the only one of his recommendations I could find so far. I will probably finish reading it just for the hell of it. I am interested in chapter 32 where he talks about testosterone and GH within the body. Curious to see what he has to say. Any recommendations for newer good books. I am going to pick UD2.0 as soon as I can everyone really seems to like Lyle Mcdonald!

Yeah I here ya. There is a lot of new imformation out there.

Any of Lyles book's are good. UD2 is probably one of the better ones for the science. Most of his other books source UD2.

I would just read everything you can here. I've learned a lot from just reading the Diet forums.