PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Dizzee
07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I found this piece of information.

"According to conventional wisdom, the infamous "beer belly" is caused by excess alcohol calories being stored as fat. Yet, less than five percent of the alcohol calories you drink are turned into fat"

deeder
07-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Where do all those calories go then? If your body doesn't need them then they will be stored as fat!

Mr. D
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Q: I am a a huge fan of yours and have read almost all of your books and most of your articles and newsletters. I am quite sure you have already addressed this topic but I don't remember where. Here it is: if a calorie is just a calorie do you think it is possible to incorporate alcoholic beverages in a diet? is it true that alcohol slows down the fat burning process? There is a level of alcohol during a diet that can be considered ok?

And the response by Lyle McDonald:

A: Alcohol is a very strange nutrient when it comes to effects on bodyweight. Very strange indeed.

In males, increasing alcohol intake tends to be associated with higher BMI (higher bodyweight/bodyfat); in females the relationship is inverse (more alcohol = lower bodyweight/BMI).

Most realistically this represents differences in how males and females typically drink. Males typically drink along with eating fatty foods (wings anybody), females tend to drink in lieu of eating.

However, even there, studies examining weight gain with alcohol suggest that some of the calories are 'missing', the expected weight gain doesn't show up. Nobody really knows why. It's been suggested that there may be increased metabolic uncoupling or thermogenesis and that more of the alcohol calories are wasted, this seems to be especially prevalent with long-term alcoholics, most likely due to damage to their live.

Beyond that, alcohol is a 'toxin' to the body, when ingested it shuts down the burning of all other nutrients (including fat). Which is a big part of why the combo of alcohol plus high fat foods is a double whammy for fat gain.

However, in the context of maintenance or below maintenance calories, it's probably not such an issue. Quite in fact, there is some indication that it might help with leanness.

A recent paper found that 40 g alcohol per day increased levels of a hormone called adiponectin. Released from fat cells, adiponectin is one of the hormones that actually goes up with weight/fat loss. Among other things it improves skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity and activates something called AMPk which is involved in fat burning.

Amusingly in this regards, there is an old diet called the Drinking Man's diet which, as I recall, was lowcarb but based around daily alcohol intake. Perhaps it wasn't so absurd after all.

So alcohol might turn out to be the dieter's big secret.

growthrep
07-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Guinness is no more fattening or calorific than any other beer of similar alcoholic strength. The beer has no fat, however it does contain protein, sugar, carbohydrates and alcohol. The alcohol accounts for 65-75% of the calorific content irrespective of the beer in question. Per pint, Draught Guinness has 210 calories; as a reference, one pint of semi-skimmed milk has 260 calories and one pint of orange juice has 220 calories. Draught Guinness actually has fewer calories than most other premium beers and lagers.

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~bennett7/guinness/guinqna.htm#fat

Mr. D
07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Guinness is no more fattening or calorific than any other beer of similar alcoholic strength. The beer has no fat, however it does contain protein, sugar, carbohydrates and alcohol. The alcohol accounts for 65-75% of the calorific content irrespective of the beer in question. Per pint, Draught Guinness has 210 calories; as a reference, one pint of semi-skimmed milk has 260 calories and one pint of orange juice has 220 calories. Draught Guinness actually has fewer calories than most other premium beers and lagers.

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~bennett7/guinness/guinqna.htm#fat

so you think fat is "fattenning"?

To compare a pint of guiness with a pint of milk is ridiculius.

I really dont understand the point of your post.

BBB
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, that settles it for me. I'm having a glass if wine with my dinner on Saturday night.

KobeWillVindic8
07-16-2007, 10:42 PM
And the response by Lyle McDonald:

VERY interesting tidbit.. thanks for the info.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-16-2007, 11:01 PM

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~bennett7/guinness/guinqna.htm#fatI don't think you understand what makes something "fattening".

And the response by Lyle McDonald:So Lyle's conclusion is it might make you fat, but it could also make you lean.

Really helpful there. =\