PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Question

SEC100
07-13-2007, 04:29 PM
hey everyone,

I'm going to start bulking on monday. My body build is somewhat of an ectomorph - meaning I'm genetically very skinny and a hardgainer - however, I know that if I eat enough I can gain weight. I'm going to start on monday and eat 2,500 calories everyday for the entire week and then weigh myself. Here is the question: If I gain say 1 or 2 lbs in that week should I still add more calories? Basically I want to know how much weight I should optimally be gaining a week w/ heavy lifting during a bulk??? Is 2 lbs a week too much or not enough??

Remember I am just starting out and I'm really really skinny so the sky is the limit. Thanks!

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 04:39 PM
It really depends on your goals.....and a little more info is always helpful like weight, height, bf% etc....

as far as bulking goes from what I understand it depends on how much fat you wanna gain with your muscle. I would say that if you were gaining 2lbs a week 1 would be muscle 1 would be fat. But I would also say that I doubt you will gain anything eating 2500 cals a day. Unless you weigh 115.

I would recommend tracking on www.fitday.com finding out how much you are eating now and slowly ramp up cals by 250 until you start gaining.

SEC100
07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm 5'10" and about 145.

First time bodybuilding. Going to do WWB 1.1. I dont mind gaining a little fat as I bulk. So, you think with WWB 1.1 and eating as much whole foods as possible in order to gain 2 lbs a week or could I be doing better??

I'll start at 3,000 and work up from there until Im gaining 2 lbs a week (so I dont get that bloated look)

What do you guys think?? Is this the best regime I can have as a beginer??

BigBossMan
07-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I would recommend tracking on www.fitday.com finding out how much you are eating now and slowly ramp up cals by 250 until you start gaining.

you may also want to make sure that you get 1-1.5g protien per lb of LBM from good protein sources...meat,eggs,dairy,protein powder and .5g/lb LBM of fats. Then fill the rest with complex carbs. I like to take alot (100g while bulking) of simple carbs(sugar i.e. dextrose) with protein right after my workout.

Mutivitamin
Fish Oil
Creatine Monohydrate

can also be your friends!

RedSpikeyThing
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Generally speaking, 1-2 lbs/week is a good rate to be gaining weight. Track your diet so you know how much you're eating. If you don't gain a pound or two the first week, add 250-500 calories per week until you do.
BigBossMan: Everyone is different. Some people will gain on 2500, some will lose.

Mr. D
07-14-2007, 01:25 AM
I vote for 0.75lb/week. Nice slow,clean bulk with minimal fat gains.

i.e., Eating 5-10% over maintenance.

I think 2500 sounds about right. But everyone is different. I suggest finding your maintenance cals first and then increasing from there, instead of picking random/arbitrary caloric intakes.