PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein

shanecross
07-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I`ve read a couple of articles on consuming high protein,which would result into a very high level of uric acid. Since we workout regularly, cardio etc, it shouldnt be a problem? i need some opinions here..thanks

Unholy
07-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Eat atleast 1g of protein per lb BW.

shanecross
07-13-2007, 08:04 PM
okay..for example my current weight is 143lbs, so i would have to consume a minimum of 143gms of protein. I am currently on a bulk mode so I usually consume up to 200gms of protein per day.Is that okay?

Unholy
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Yes sir thats perfectly fine. I eat about 300g a day, do not worry about it. Keep your water intake high regardless since its healthy to do so, I would not however worry about eating too much protein.

Basshog
07-13-2007, 08:28 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy11.htm

Interesting read..I asked myself the same question a while back. I also consulted my schools dietician and she said that too much protein IS bad for your kidneys and can lead to kidney failure down the line.

Paul Stagg
07-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Your dietician is at least partially wrong.

The amount of protein it would take to harm someone with healthy kidneys is so high, you would have far more important things to worry about, like weighing thousands of pounds.

WBBIRL
07-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Most people have to make a effort to eat above 1g per pound of LBM, I suspect the amount needed to cause any real damage in our average lifetimes would be exponentially larger then 1, 2 or even 3 g of protein per pound of LBM.

Eat up big boy, let the myths fall where they may. When people on here are as big as they are, and post what they eat you can take it for the truth. Its not just one or two cases where genetics can be called into question.

The people who post on WBB who make an effort and who are aiming to gain muscle do so and they do it by eating 1) an excess of calories and 2) a large amount of protein.

Built
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy11.htm

Interesting read..I asked myself the same question a while back. I also consulted my schools dietician and she said that too much protein IS bad for your kidneys and can lead to kidney failure down the line.

Could I impose upon you to ask your dietician two things?

1. Define "too much" for a healthy person with no pre-existing kidney damage.
2. Provide a reference for this claim.

Thanks. I've always wanted to know where these people read this stuff. I can't seem to find anything peer-reviewed to back up these claims - although I find much to refute them.

shanecross
07-14-2007, 10:24 PM
I have also consulted a local pharmacist. According to her, as long as you work out it is okay to take protein as it would help grow and repair your muscle.If you are the type of person who is like a couch potatoe, then if u consume to much protein, it would start getting into your blood vessels, how true is that, i dont know.

Built
07-14-2007, 10:34 PM
See my earlier post.

Al3X
07-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Built where do you research on topics? and where are you finding so many peer reviewed subjects that are related to training?