PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Myths

GetSwullll
07-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Few things I had questions about:

1) I've heard it's good to drink a soda after a workout. Something about it raises the insulin in your system allowing you to absorb more protein and whatnot after a workout. Again, i have no clue, but just wondeirng if it's good.

2) I've read something similar to question 1, where body builders are drinking chocolate milk and high sugar drinks withing an hour post workout. Is something to this, or is it just talk on forums?

thanks

jtteg_x
07-14-2007, 01:29 PM
not soda, but a sugary based liquid (gatorade/powerade/juice) because it contains dextrose (which is also available as a supplement).

manowar669
07-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Quoted from Built (vol 2), must read for everyone:

"Strength athletes/weight lifters interested in increasing muscle mass

• Sip 0.8g/kg carbohydrate and 0.4g/kg protein (such as At Large’s Nitrean) dissolved in 1L of water during exercise.

• Immediately after exercise ingest another identical beverage.

• Eat a solid food meal 1 hour later.

Strength athletes/weight lifters interested in preserving muscle mass while dieting

• Sip 0.4g/kg carbohydrate and 0.2g/kg protein dissolved in 0.5L of water during exercise.

• Eat a solid food meal 1 hour after exercise."

Link to article (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=274)

MMEI
07-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm a bit fearful of Gatorade/Powerade/Soda as a workout drink since its main sugar is High Fructose Corn Syrup. Besides the iffy chemically processed aspect of it, its about 55% Fructose and 45% Glucose. Wouldn't it be better to have a 100% glucose formula?

Unholy
07-17-2007, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about the details too much at this point in your lifting career.

Outshine
07-17-2007, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about the details too much at this point in your lifting career.

Why not? If you can start off doing everything correctly (even the little things), you might as well.

Soda is garbage and shouldn't be consumed ever. Most juices are high in fructose, which isn't the sugar you're looking to have.

What you are looking to have post workout is glucose, aka dextrose. Dextrose is sometimes hard to find in stores, but it's available online quite cheap.

Mix dextrose and some whey protein in water (as per the recommendations in Built's article) and you're post workout meal is good to go.

Unholy
07-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I guess I should have clarified, that comment wasn't aimed towards the OP at all.

Unholy
07-17-2007, 08:04 PM
And just to prove a point

It IS voodoo science.

It wouldn't be if all food skipped all digestion and was instantaneously broken down into individual amino acids, sugar molecules, and lipids. But it's not. Food doesn't digest instantly. Chances are, you still have some of last night's meal digesting.

So most of this junk (meal timing, down to the grams per pound of bodyweight) is pretty much a complete waste of time and energy. But it does make people feel better.

The EXCEPTION is if you are on an EXTREMELY restricted diet and absolutely need to maintain energy levels when in essentially a starved state. Then this all may be worth it.

There's no need to restrict carbs at other times of the day. You're constantly resynthesizing glycogen, and what isn't used for energy or glycogen stores CAN be stored as fat. But, hey, fat can also be used for energy, and IS used regularly throughout the day. Meal timing cannot, under normal circumstances, trump thermodynamics or alter the body's basic energy requirements.

You want to avoid catabolism? Eat a few balanced meals, and have a damn snickers bar when you're done with your workout. Or a gatorade. Or a few jolly ranchers. Or a glass of milk. If you notice a marked difference in results between this and a 45.2452g CHO/23.3255g protein drink post workout, I will stand corrected.

But I doubt that's going to happen.

Outshine
07-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I guess I should have clarified, that comment wasn't aimed towards the OP at all.

Ah, my bad then.

And just to prove a point

Are you proving a point to me? If so, I don't get what point you're proving. There is a ton of information/science out there showing the usefulness of properly timed pre/during/post workout nutrition.

If not, then my bad again. ;)

Killa Kurt
07-18-2007, 07:29 PM

:withstupi Eat big, lift big, get big. It's simple.

Bako Lifter
07-18-2007, 07:31 PM
There is a ton of information/science out there showing the usefulness of properly timed pre/during/post workout nutrition.

Maybe, but we all know Belial is more credible than any scientific studies :p.