PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about veggies?

arya202
07-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I can see why they can be good on a cut, becuase they're filling and have lo cals. But honestly I think they're horrible tasting and would much rather scarf down some cottage cheese or some almonds.

BBB
07-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Fiber. Cottage cheese has no fiber. An ounce of almonds has 3 grams of fiber...but it also has 164 calories.

And veggies taste just fine when you drown them in salt and butter :D

BFGUITAR
07-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Fruits and vegetables are high in minerals, contain phytochemicals which aid in lowering blood pressure, slowing down the aging process by acting as anti-oxidants (which also do a number of other things), contain fiber so you can poop...

There was a short segment on CNN about where the healthiest and longest living people in the world live. If you look at their lifestyles they work hard every day until the day they die yet live until their 90s and often over 100. One thing they all have in common is a high fruit/vegetable consumption.

Anti-oxidants are vital in protecting our mitochondrial DNA. Over time free radicals are formed through a natural process in our body. We have enzymes to get rid of them but often they do damage before we can. The damage to the mitochondrial DNA can lead to a mutation and eventually our demise.

So eat your damn broccoli :D

Anthony
07-14-2007, 06:07 PM
:withstupi

The benefits of veggies have nothing to do with calories.

shootermcgavin7
07-14-2007, 10:14 PM
As Anthony hints at: They're good for you.

Al3X
07-15-2007, 08:47 AM
arya just eat em' to fit in. :)

rLuc
07-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Just about every other day a new study comes out suggesting fibrous green veggies help ward off cancer. The antioxidant power of veggies are incredible.

Good stuff.

greekboy80
07-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Just about every other day a new study comes out suggesting fibrous green veggies help ward off cancer. The antioxidant power of veggies are incredible.

Good stuff.

Dont forget Berries too! Blueberries have been found to have the most per serving....But all berries are pretty high though...

Mik
07-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I eat veggies just so the V8 guy doesn't smack me in the head.