PDA

View Full Version : ankle weights...opinions?

beaverfootball
07-14-2007, 08:25 PM
hey guys first off i just wanna say that this site is amazing. i have been browsing and reading for quite some time now and decided to finally register.

ok now my question is what is your guys' opinions on ankle weights? like i would be using them for sprints and foot speed workouts...cone hopes, pro agility, dot drill, etc..

i guess what im asking is would they help or would they restrict your fast twitch fibers from developing properly due to the extra weight. im talking about 5 lb ankle weights here...

thanks!

ProteinMonster
08-03-2007, 02:21 PM
they are not good, this is a an old school thing. they kill the joints in your knees by pulling them down and apart. just workout and do sprints.

Bako Lifter
08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Search "ankle weights". We had a thread like this last week.

And welcome to WBB.

Edit: Ehh, I did it myself. Here were the two most relevant and informative posts from that thread.

The problem with ankle weights that I see has to do with the location of the weights themselves. On the ankle causes the stress on the knees especially to be increased substantially. The effect on the body is much different distributing the weight here rather than across the whole body. To the OP, I would certainly advise increasing the pace if you are doing the running for gpp/enjoyment.

Yep. 5 pounds of dead weight at the end of the foot. Not normal for the body; you're drastically increasing the weight at the distal end of the leg, and the distal end ONLY, which means a lot more force needed to slow the foot down before impact with the ground. Knee hyperextension, hip flexor strains, the list of **** that can happen from the use of ankle weights makes them completely worthless in my opinion. Well, that, and the fact that they're not going to make your legs much stronger, and they won't do much for your cardiovascular system.

Now somebody close the thread.

McVein
08-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Search "ankle weights". We had a thread like this last week.

And welcome to WBB.

Edit: Ehh, I did it myself. Here were the two most relevant and informative posts from that thread.

Now somebody close the thread.

bako calling the shots huh?

Bako Lifter
08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
bako calling the shots huh?

;)

redFury
08-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Ankle weights are a lot more trouble then they are worth... the first quote Bako put up is my sentiments on the dangers of using ankle weights.