PDA

View Full Version : No access to a squat rack this summer

IZich
07-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Hey everyone:

This summer I'm back at home (away from my beloved UCLA Wooden gym..), and as such am working out at the YMCA gym. They no power racks there, only smith machines. It seems like even though I can do DLs on the floor, I can't do squats very easily without one.
1. What are your practical suggestions? (For my currently financial situation, I probably can't afford to switch to another gym - I get free YMCA membership through my dad.)

2. Also, if I keep my squatwork more DE than ME (a.k.a. tabata squats, or simply C&Jing a lighter bar (read: ~150lbs) over my head and onto my shoulders), how much will that hinder my squats when I return?

3. It seems to me that my squatwork and DLwork are synergistic - they benefit each other. If I go light on my squats, will that damage my DL gains as well? How would I minimize this?

I'll be away from a power rack for about 2.5 more months.

Thanks in advance for helping a brother out. I know you guys are all light-years ahead of me in experience and know-how, so I value your advice.

Uncle Fester
07-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Clean the weight up and do front squats.

JustLost
07-16-2007, 06:01 AM
A few suggestions:

Front squats with as much as you can clean
Do some of your deads sumo style, as the movement is a bit more squatlike than conventional
Zerchers from the floor (I'll see if I can find the link to how they're done)
I like your idea of C&J -> back squat. That shows you've got the unstoppable attitude. ;)
Even the lowly leg press comes in handy in this situation

basically, think in terms of deadlift + squat assistance/DE work.

It's hard to quantify, but I suspect you'll be able to avoid losing too much on your squat.