PDA

View Full Version : High carb PWO: counter productive?

greekboy80
07-17-2007, 08:52 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md92.htm

Are th PWO high carb drinks counter productive?

Not sure if I'm going to get rid of em', But what does everyone think?

Thoughts?

Unholy
07-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Lol. No they are not counter productive. I can't believe you are linking articles from bbing.com. The stuff on that site is hysterical.

DoUgL@S
07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
A blanket statement like that can be applied to any facet of nutrition if you do not know what you are doing.

High fat dieting is counter productive and low fat dieting is counter productive. If you do not know how to diet, both are correct, and if you do not know why, you need to do some more reading.

Optimum08
07-17-2007, 10:41 AM
bodybuilding.com is not the most trusted site for information, lets just put it that way.

greekboy80
07-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Guys and girls, I just put it out there for some friendly conversation. I never said that I believed it, or that I gave a crap.

Just looking for some conversation, dont shoot the messenger.

DoUgL@S
07-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Guys and girls, I just put it out there for some friendly conversation. I never said that I believed it, or that I gave a crap.

Just looking for some conversation, dont shoot the messenger.

If you did not care, why start a thread? I guess my figureoutwhatpeaoplemeantotsaydar is out of wack, because obviously I should have known that from the following post. :scratch:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md92.htm

Are th PWO high carb drinks counter productive?

Not sure if I'm going to get rid of em', But what does everyone think?

Thoughts?

greekboy80
07-17-2007, 01:40 PM
If you did not care, why start a thread?

Good lord man, because just like I said before, for some friendly conversation.....Also, because recently there has been a lot of conversation, all over the net, about the PWO shake and if it is more ness. to have the high carb shakes before, during or after the workout.

I guess it was kinda hard to understand tone/sarcasm over the net.

Not sure if I'm going to get rid of em', This was written with an sarcastic influance.

But whatever, sorry to bother everyone....

DoUgL@S
07-17-2007, 02:07 PM
[friendly conversation]Hello, what exactly would you like to know?[/friendly conversation]

Seriously, do you want to know or not? It is hard for me to see if you are kidding through the monitor. ;)

Pre- During- and Post-workout shakes help take advantage of the anabolic window, the only time that you can take advantage of the favorable partitioning of a high protein/high carb meal and the shuttling of these nutrients into cells.

greekboy80
07-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Dude, I dont want to know anything, I already know the truth. I have a high carb drink during and after all of my workouts, and I'm not giving them up.

I think this was just one big miscommunication.... :)

Unholy
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I think so too lol.

DoUgL@S
07-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Dude, I dont want to know anything, I already know the truth. I have a high carb drink during and after all of my workouts, and I'm not giving them up.

Sorry man. I was just a bit bored at work. I am glad you know everything. Have a nice day. :)

smalls
07-17-2007, 03:11 PM

I think your being too nice. You asked peoples thoughts on a thread, then douchebag responds with "do more reading". I dont think the miscommunication was on your part at all. It wasn't a dumb or extremely repetative question and you linked an article which you wanted feedback on.

This is a discussion board, people shouldnt be intimidated to get others opinion on a topic.

That being said, I think the question has been answered. I will add that I think people greatly overestimate the effects of the PWO shake alone. Overall diet is what is truly important.

Howard 9
07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I read something recently that dextrose post workout was not needed too.

"Once upon a time, many including myself thought the world of postworkout dex. But here's the thing that everybody missed... ALL data in support of fast-acting substrates postworkout were done on glycogen-depleted subjects who trained after an overnight fast, minus a preworkout meal or shake. The presence of aminos & glucose absorbing into the blood during training as a result of a preworkout meal quite simply eliminates the urgency of the postworkout meal being quickly absorbed.

If you were dumb enough to train vigorously for a long time on a dead empty stomach after waking in the morning, then you definitely need the fastest-absorbing postworkout supplement available. However, if you had either a solid full-sized preworkout meal within 90 minutes or a small preworkout meal or shake within roughly 30 minutes of training, you absolutely don't need a fast-acting postworkout mix. Why? Assuming we're talking about the weight training bout of typical length (60-80 minutes), you'd still be in the tail end of the absorptive phase of the preworkout meal when your training bout is finished."

Unholy
07-17-2007, 08:08 PM
A source would be nice Howard.

Howard 9
07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
A source would be nice Howard.

Your probably just going to shoot it down. And I still put my dex in PWO, especially since I had just bought a 15 LB bag when I read it lol, but here is the post:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=49434041&postcount=52

The guy is pretty reputable. Has a book out, website, etc. Knows what he is talking about. Not looking to get into an argument whether is he credible.

greekboy80
07-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Howard9, that is exacly what I was thinking about. This was exactly the reason for starting this thread.

I had heard/read a few of these theories as well. Most of them were like you had said, stating that if you had a good enough preWO shake/meal and a good shake of dex/malto/pro sipped during the workout, that the PWO shake was not really ness.

However, I'm not buying the PWO Shake being counter productive.... I think thats a little far-fetched.

greekboy80
07-18-2007, 07:34 AM
I think your being too nice. You asked peoples thoughts on a thread, then douchebag responds with "do more reading". I dont think the miscommunication was on your part at all. It wasn't a dumb or extremely repetative question and you linked an article which you wanted feedback on.

This is a discussion board, people shouldnt be intimidated to get others opinion on a topic.

I appreciate it......I also think it happens far too often on message boards.

DoUgL@S
07-18-2007, 10:41 AM

That being said, I think the question has been answered. I will add that I think people greatly overestimate the effects of the PWO shake alone. Overall diet is what is truly important.

I agree it was not a dumb question.

He made a blanket statement, with no additional information, I was merely asking for him to elaborate so that I could answer with a more productive train of thought.

No one was trying to intimidate anyone, you on the other hand calling someone a douche bag is very productive.

Wild Cat McCane
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh my god, just shut the hell up.

I swear this board has slipped into a constant state of bickering over nothing. I see less and less of Slim and Built then I used to. Swear to god they were the most intelligent people on here and we are driving them away with fights over nothing.

Shut up. How cares how you interpreted what he said. hey here's an idea: at work, work.

He posted a simple question, with possibly a stupid source. who cares. say he is wrong due to these facts, move on. Shut the hell up.

greekboy80
07-18-2007, 11:34 AM
but saying he already knows everything and could care less about anyones opinion is being nice. :rolleyes:

Huh? :confused:

DoUgL@S
07-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Huh? :confused:
I edited it because I must have misread something. I could have sworn I read that somewhere. I guess I am a douche. My bad Greekboy. :)

To discuss your original post. In the context of your diet, whether it be cutting or bulking, it is only counter productive when it does not fit into your plan, i.e. if you are cutting and liquid meals do not satiate you, then it is probably a better idea to eat a high carb/high protein solid meal instead. In my opinion, it is a good way to take advantage of the anabolic window, if if fits into your dietary goals.

Alex.V
07-18-2007, 02:19 PM
I read something recently that dextrose post workout was not needed too.

"Once upon a time, many including myself thought the world of postworkout dex. But here's the thing that everybody missed... ALL data in support of fast-acting substrates postworkout were done on glycogen-depleted subjects who trained after an overnight fast, minus a preworkout meal or shake. The presence of aminos & glucose absorbing into the blood during training as a result of a preworkout meal quite simply eliminates the urgency of the postworkout meal being quickly absorbed.

If you were dumb enough to train vigorously for a long time on a dead empty stomach after waking in the morning, then you definitely need the fastest-absorbing postworkout supplement available. However, if you had either a solid full-sized preworkout meal within 90 minutes or a small preworkout meal or shake within roughly 30 minutes of training, you absolutely don't need a fast-acting postworkout mix. Why? Assuming we're talking about the weight training bout of typical length (60-80 minutes), you'd still be in the tail end of the absorptive phase of the preworkout meal when your training bout is finished."

I agree with this post 100%.

Alex.V
07-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Oh my god, just shut the hell up.

And this one.