PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help promoting wrist health

Sleepy Guy
07-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Here is the deal. I have been training oly lifts with standard bar and plates. Big mistake and how I have injured the wrists. Not being able to drop the bar after the movement seems to be the cause.

They are sore at the point where the arm meets the hand or just about that bump on the wrist. Only specific movements cause irritation.

Any ideas on how to promote recover other then not lifting?

Detard
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
You could try ice after workouts. Maybe rest up for a week and invest in some wrist wraps for added support?

Darracq
07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I always use wrist wraps. titan thp`s

Sleepy Guy
07-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Would the wraps not interfere with flexibility? Landing the clean on the shoulders?

JHarris
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Here is the deal. I have been training oly lifts with standard bar and plates. Big mistake and how I have injured the wrists. Not being able to drop the bar after the movement seems to be the cause.

They are sore at the point where the arm meets the hand or just about that bump on the wrist. Only specific movements cause irritation.

Any ideas on how to promote recover other then not lifting?

Tough situation here, one a lot of Olympic lifters have had to endure at some point or other due to the lack of bumpers plates in most gyms. My only advice is advil/ice/stretching. You could also do some wrist flexor/extensor type exercises with lighter weight as a sort of rehab thing.

One stretch that I happen to like a lot is loading up a bar with weight near your maximal front squat and just getting into the racked position underneath it, trying to grip the bar completely and trying to rotate your elbows up as much as possible.

Sleepy Guy
07-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I am thinking untreated this will turn into a problem rather then a minor pain. Rest is not helping much. I think strengthening is in order. If I could drop the weights the problem would be solved.

Detard
07-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I am thinking untreated this will turn into a problem rather then a minor pain. Rest is not helping much. I think strengthening is in order. If I could drop the weights the problem would be solved.

How come you cant drop the weight? No platform or pads to drop them on? Ask you gym if you can bring in something to help quiet the sound of dropping the plates if thats your worry.

I'm not sure what HB is using as a platform/cushion but here is a vid of him dropping plates to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZVZdT8Iao

Sleepy Guy
07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Needs to work on form but yeah this gym could give two ****s about getting platforms. I need to find a hardcore gym here. My current accommodation cater to the cow crowd rather then the lifters.

Is there like rubber pads or what is the deal. We used a platform of 2x4 on edge with 1in rubber mats and bumper plates.

MPB
07-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I used to have the same problem and I still do. What I did was take a break from oly lifts for a while, other than that I started wrapping sports tape around my wrists for support and take msm & glusosamine (not sure if msm & glucosamine really helped but it's better than nothing) The pain is still there but not as bad as before.