PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Olympic-Style Weightlifting Edition 2

Hephaestus
07-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Anyone read this book? Thinking of buying it for added info on olympic lifts. Looks like it might be good.

Franco
07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I've not read the book.

Would you care to elaborate if you intend on using it as your sole reference for learning the olympic lifts, or if you just want to read it for the general knowledge?

Hephaestus
07-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Looking for a good reference to olympic style lifting to elaborate more on the subject. More detailed intructions to the technique, routine organization, etc. Not just general knowledge, but i do olympic lifts style lately exclusively, and would want more information so i can progress to the snatch and clean and jerk.

Guido
07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Honestly, it would be alot more beneficial to you if you found someone who is experienced at the olympic lifts to give you some in-person instruction. Books are great and all, but they can't replace actual live coaching, especially for such technique dependent lifts.

Sensei
07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I've heard the book and the video are pretty good. It's on a long list of books and videos I'd like to get but just haven't yet.

Franco
07-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Honestly, it would be alot more beneficial to you if you found someone who is experienced at the olympic lifts to give you some in-person instruction. Books are great and all, but they can't replace actual live coaching, especially for such technique dependent lifts.

Exactly the point I was trying to establish.

Please find someone that will assist you in learing the lifts.

Sensei
07-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Exactly the point I was trying to establish.

Please find someone that will assist you in learing the lifts.I'm certainly not going to disagree with the intelligence of finding a good coach, but most people just aren't going to. There are plenty of mediocre and poor coaches that can teach you how to do a sloppy powerclean, but not many who really know the lifts themselves, let alone how to teach them.

Learning the OLs correctly is damn important, but I don't think that means people should be afraid to try them with light bumpers or an empty bar. The OLs are hard to master, but the basics are not that complicated.