PDA

View Full Version : Back injury....

Paladyr
07-19-2007, 09:28 AM
So I've been playing volleyball for about 10 weeks, the first six weeks playing 1 night a week and the next 4 playing two times a week (tues and fri). After my last game Friday (7/13), I felt fine hanging out at the bar, but then when I went home, my back started to hurt (lower back). I woke up Saturday with difficulty walking and moving around b/c my lower back was so sore. This is the first time this season I have felt anything like this. I've had sore backs during my playing days in high school too but I seem to remember them being less severe and they would go away after a good night's rest.

Here I am today and my back is better than it was Saturday but it doesn't seem to be getting better every day. I can jump with 100% force, but I haven't been brave enough to try a hitting motion where you lean back at the top of your jump and then whip your upper body forward to hit the ball with a lot of force (I imagine that's the motion that injured my back).

My Question is, would it be foolish of me to try and play with my back still feeling the way it is, and maybe just hitting light at like 50%? Should I wait until I have no pain at all? Right now it's about a 6/10 in terms of pain when I walk around. I've also been taking 9 ibuprofen a day (3 pills x 3 times a day) since Monday. Thanks!

Sensei
07-21-2007, 09:34 PM
My Question is, would it be foolish of me to try and play with my back still feeling the way it is, and maybe just hitting light at like 50%? Should I wait until I have no pain at all? Right now it's about a 6/10 in terms of pain when I walk around. I've also been taking 9 ibuprofen a day (3 pills x 3 times a day) since Monday. Thanks!I'd lay of the NSAIDs - a little should go a long way and if they aren't doing the job, do something else. Ice is good.

Take some time off.