PDA

View Full Version : getting ready for basic training

gmen5681
07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Well i leave in 8 months for the army special forces, and i need to get prepared. i am currently about 18% body fat. i am 196 pounds, 6'. im good on my stats for everything, but i dont know what routine to follow. i was thinking about going to the gym 3 days, running 3-5 miles 3 days and then resting on day 7. so something like
1- gym
2- run
3- gym
4- run
5- gym
6- run
7- rest

i know you need rest, but i wont be getting rest in basic or at my advanced training. right now i work at a labor job, but i will be quiting my job 4 months prior to leaving and i plan on doing nothing but getting prepared. if there is anyone here in the military what would you suggest? or just general suggestions from anyone.
thank you
joe

Adam
07-19-2007, 09:27 PM
How much training experiance do you have?
The more conditioned you are the more frequent you can train. In April & May I was going twice a day 7 days a week. You have to adapt your workouts to your routine though. I did no training to failor because it taxed the body to much.

gmen5681
07-20-2007, 08:08 AM
about 6 months ago i was going 2 times a day. once in the morning doing lifting and then at my lunch hour from work i would go and run 2 miles. and then i had the weekends off. but i havent done anything in the past 2 months or so. i cracked a rib so i cant really do any heavy lifting, and then last week i dislocated and tore ligaments in my ankle. so as of right now im pretty much out for the count for at least another 3-4 weeks. but as soon as i am healed i will be ready to go. i got a new job so i cant go in the morning to the gym anymore, but i can go right after work and then the next day run and so on. what do you think?

Anthony
07-20-2007, 08:52 AM
What you listed is better than nothing, but there are other options that will much better prepare you for combat. Read the "World Class Fitness in 100 Words" in my signature ... there are some hints in there.

Maki Riddington
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
What Anthony said.

TJ2389
08-27-2007, 09:35 PM
If you really want to be in shape for the military, add the workout contained in the link in my sig to your weight lifting. Its the one you follow to prepare to try out for the seals (Buds).

tomv
08-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Just from reading replies to questions similar to your own on this board i'd recommend...

A) Don't try to bulk up too much, you're going to lose a lot of it.
B) Get used to running. A lot. (You appear to be doing a fair bit already which is good :D)
C) Get used to doing pushups and chinups.

Al3X
08-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Being in the military and have spoken to some SF, and Rangers some advice I can give would be -

.Become lean as possible
.Create endurance
.Strength - you'll need it (of course pushups, situps, 2-5 mile runs, pullups/chinups, log pt, strong core)
.Be able to operate with minimum or no hours of sleep
.Get used to deprivation of food
.Fear of heights? forget it...
.Swim? learn...
.Intelligence? can you adapt to information? start thinking of learning Arabic, French, Spanish, or Manadarin

Best to just mimic GI Jane. Have fun!

Bikkstah
08-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Run, a lot, at OSUT (Infantry training, where you go first) you will work up to 6-7 mile runs at a 6 mile pace. To pass OSUT one of the last events is a 5 mile run at an 8 mile pace. If you fall out, you start over from week 1 (16 week course). Focus on calisthenics, sprints, and running. If you train without rest now, your training at Fort Benning (OSUT home) will be a lot easier. For the first 6-7 weeks there you will PT and train 7 days a week on 4-5 hours of sleep. It will go down to 6 days a week and possibly 5 after that depending on your Drill Sergeants. You will be smoked all day everyday, get used to the mental aspect too: no matter what you do, you are wrong and you have to be punished for it. One guy ****s up, everyone gets smoked for an hour. Get a rucksack and a CamelBak and start marching at night 2-3 nights a week, working up, if possible, to 15-20 miles per march. If you wanna know specifics or have other questions, shoot me a PM

Edit: get used to eating 2000 calories a day and burning 10,000 and being wet and dirty. Don't practice chin-ups, you don't perform them in the Army for a test. And don't learn a language yet, your language will be assigned to you once you graduate Special Forces selection. You've still got 3-4 years before you'll know what they want you to learn.

Al3X
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Bikkstah how long have you been in the Army? I don't want to start an argument/conflict by any means. OSUT, do you know what OSUT is? Ft. Benning is not the home of OSUT. If that's the case then my One Station Unit Training in Ft. Sill, OK (King of Battle) must have not existed... dont take it the wrong way, just trying to put out some accurate information.

As for not training on Chinups. Yes you may not do them in the Army, but why not focus on increasing strength as a civilian before entering? Nothing wrong with that.

As for getting a head start on education (language) why not? That's if the OP does make it through the SF selection. Once again nothing wrong with that.

OP: Focus on not sleeping much. Not eating much. Train with Crossfit.

Bikkstah
08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Fort Benning is the home of his OSUT, Infantry OSUT. I put out 100% accurate information. It's nice that your Artillery OSUT was at Fort Sill, but that is no where his OSUT will be. Would it have made sense if I said Fort Benning is where your OSUT will be for Infantry, but there are also OSUTs for Artillery at Fort Sill and Tankers and Cav Scouts at Fort Knox? That is not relevant. Work smarter not harder young man.

Why learn Arabic if he makes it through SFQ and they give him Spanish? OP if you want to take the time to learn a language you may not be given, go for it.

Bikkstah
08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh, and you'll be gone for 4 months for Infantry OSUT then you'll have a weekend pass then Airborne then I think another weekend pass then you'll be at SF training for 2 years, so if you have a girlfriend or wife, make sure she knows she's going to see you for maybe 2 weeks out of the next few years once you leave.

Al3X
08-30-2007, 01:51 PM
On the whole OSUT issue a lot of posts have been shut down. I don't consider the individual skill sets to be "home of" whatever. OSUT itself just implies that your Basic Training, and AIT will be combined. I understand the area your talking about.

"If" the OP does make it through the selection, and does become a Special Force soldier he'll most likely deploy to Iraq or Afghan. So implying not to learn some of the basics in Arabic would be setting him up for failure.

I agree if you have a girlfriend you may want to see if it's the real thing. Your wife will PCS with you to wherever you go for your training (depending on the time of stay).

But anyways this isn't to do with yourself, or me it's for the OP.

Best of luck in your journey. Keep us updated.

Bikkstah
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Your wife will NOT PCS to OSUT or Airborne though. I'm not sure how SF Selection works, if your wife will be able to stay on Fort Bragg or not.

Everytime I've mobe'd I've "learned" Arabic. If you're in the military today you should know Arabic anyways. But that's almost 3 years away for the OP, plenty of time to learn Arabic.