PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Diet Prep - How's it looking?

Portboy
07-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Just to get it out of the way: YES, i have read most of the stickies in regards to bulking. I've chosen most of whatever is available to me, in regards to 'what a bodybuilder eats' and have calculated that my daily intake of calories has to be around 3000 to 4000.

Current weight: 175lbs
Target weight (within two years, no rush :)): 200lbs (been advised in another thread)
Current routine: Baby Got Back
Lifting Experience: 1 year and 6 months? Only the last 6 or 7 months have been serious.
Current Lifts: BP: 220lbsx2, SQ: 264lbsx1, DL: 330lbsx1

Apologies for annoyingly odd kg/lbs conversion and blemish on the weight lifting community for having such poor lifts.

OK, so although I don't have the cash to put this into action just yet, I'd like to check my intended diet with you guys. Should come into force as soon as i get myself a job and some cash. I've done a 'rough sketch' of it on FitDay, and it came to:

Calories: 1716
Fat: 72
Protein: 170
Carb: 88

I don't need telling that the above outcome is a pretty poor intake of calories and protein. However, i'm having a hard time trying to piece together actual meals. On the plus side, i think i could have two servings of oatmeal in a day, a shake or two, and go pretty crazy on the steak and have lots of tins of tuna (about 27g of protein per tin, drained).

So, what i eat per day is made up of:
- 6 Eggs, Cottage Cheese, 1 pint of milk.
- Oatmeal, with maple syrup (didn't include the syrup)
- Tuna, raw
- Skinless chicken breast, raw
- Steak, potatoes

This isn't spot on. I'd probably include some peas/sweetcorn/carrots in the steak meal, or replace potatoes with chips. Perhaps include an even later meal with some other type of steak.

Any suggestions to bump the calories and perhaps get a bit more of everything in there? Thanks in advance.

Unholy
07-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Peanut butter, lots of whole wheat bread, bagels, pasta etc. Lots of whole milk.

Paul Stagg
07-22-2007, 09:57 AM
You weigh 175 pounds and you squat 265 pounds?

You need to just eat.

Portboy
07-22-2007, 12:24 PM
You weigh 175 pounds and you squat 265 pounds?
You need to just eat.

I did apologise! No excuse really.

Cheers for the responses.

Guitar90
07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Why not check out the shake thread, and steal a few of their ideas?

Its not so much a meal but they're chock full of protein and calories.

Portboy
09-17-2007, 03:07 PM
OK! Thankyou.

So with:
6 Eggs
650g of Cottage Cheese
4 Tins of tuna

I've calculated that i'd have about 223g of protein and thats without the milk, oats, pistachios and steak.

I know for a fact that the calories are low.

So, my calories are still low, and i'm confused as to what i can add.

OK, bagels, whole wheat bread - unfortunately i dislike the taste of peanut butter, and yes this makes me a bad person.

It seems my protein intake in grams is...acceptable, but my calories are poor. What would you suggest?

P.S. when/if you guys have oats, do you just put 'em in a bowl and pour milk on them, or do you heat it up in a saucepan?

Portboy
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
To avoid clogging, I am going to post in here again. So, things have changed since the above! I'm less of a suck up, although I am technically weaker, but I'm trying not to cry about that at the moment, so I'll stick with my question. Stealing ideas from 'what a bodybuilder eats' sticky and the above advice, I have come to a conclusion as to what I should maybe be eating.

Meal 1: 250g cottage cheese, pint of milk, oat meal cereal (Oatabix technically, but you may not have it in the US). I'd like to include eggs, but my house mates had a go at me about the smell. Raw maybe?
Meal 2: About 70g of Oatmeal, banana and handful of pistachios
Meal 3: 3 or 4 Whole wheat bagels with turkey slices, maybe tin of tuna too
Meal 4: Plate of pasta with melted cheese and some sauce of some kind.
Meal 5: Chicken breast and rice (this is the meal I'd consider leaving out or having instead of the preceding, as I'd like the pasta one to be Pre-WO and the steak meal to be PWO, also money would be an issue)
Meal 6: (POST Workout) Steak and potatoes or soya beans (sounds like a weird combo, but yeah whatever)
Meal 7: Probably more oatmeal, fresh slices of corned beef/turkey or a tin of tuna and probably some yummy chocolate too.

I'd obviously be drinking water all day and having the random pint of milk here and there, cos I looooooooove milk.

I am SERIOUSLY sick of being skinny. I think my weight is about 176lbs at the moment. At best I have been nearly 190lbs, which was obviously a good period, but that was at the end of the day and after stuffing myself for ages with food.

I am so crap at fending for myself, now that I have to feed myself (at university) it has actually been a struggle to think of simple meals.

Any thoughts? The sooner I get this sorted, the sooner I'll feel content and stay up all night trying to fix it and worry about it, I need recovery time dammit!

Thanks for all your help.

Scooter
01-27-2009, 10:14 PM
It's been a year and a half with the same mentality in dieting yet you are still having trouble gaining weight. If I were you I would eat everything in sight. Forget about eating healthy (unless it's doctor's orders). Gain the weight muscle and fat. When you get to your goal weight you will feel good about yourself and you can always lose the fat. You just need to quit nitpicking.

Portboy
01-28-2009, 03:59 AM
It's been a year and a half with the same mentality in dieting yet you are still having trouble gaining weight. If I were you I would eat everything in sight. Forget about eating healthy (unless it's doctor's orders). Gain the weight muscle and fat. When you get to your goal weight you will feel good about yourself and you can always lose the fat. You just need to quit nitpicking.

That sounds about right. I am way too systematic with training and nutrition. So I'll take up your suggested mentality of '**** it, eat all'.

Cheers.

Brad08
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Throw down a tablespoon or two of extra virgin olive oil with every meal. Enjoy ice cream before bed.

Benny Jackson
01-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Its all about the seefood diet. Not seafood.

Also, when I was first wanting to break the 200lb body weight mark, someone gave me some good advice. Eat a pound of pasta before going to sleep, its cheap and it will work. Not kraft macaroni and cheese, it has to be semolina pasta... Like regular spaghetti and tomato sauce, or whatever sauce you want... clam sauce, cheese sauce, etc.

Doobs
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Throw down a tablespoon or two of extra virgin olive oil with every meal. Enjoy ice cream before bed.

:withstupi: That diet looks too low in fat.