PDA

View Full Version : My 405lbs Deadlift Finally Recorded For Critique

-Superman-
07-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Here is my deadlift I just did today. There weren't too many people at the gym so I wasn't embarrassed to tape myself. A couple of ex-weightlifters have said I should be able to deadlift a lot more since my form sucks. Let me hear your opinion. Keep in mind that I am new to deadlifting (less than 1 year) and I don't use a belt and I never have back pain from it. Thanks. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ze1KIrhz8

ray34iyf
07-22-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm no expert by any means but I'd say that you'd want to pinch your shoulder blades together tight before you descend. This helps you to keep your ass and chest out during the movement.
Upper back tight and arched. Ass and chest out and tight. Squeeze it off the floor and lock that biotch out.

Other than that..looking damn strong.

Rusty
07-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't critique your lift because I just can't take my eyes off that guy doing those pathetic front squats in the background. But from what my peripheral eye cought, your lower back was far from tight.

cphafner
07-22-2007, 05:04 PM
boo gloves.

Get your shoulders back, chest out, and use more leg drive.

RedSpikeyThing
07-22-2007, 05:04 PM
congrats on the PR, 4 plates is heavy! And for the critique: your hips came up early. Keep the arch tight and focus on pulling back instead of up.

MPB
07-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't critique your lift because I just can't take my eyes off that guy doing those pathetic front squats in the background.
And it seemed like a good way to kill his wrists too, I don't think the bar was even resting on his body.

Tofer
07-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Good weight, but you're basically pulling with ALL back and no legs (your legs were fully locked out by the time the bar was a few inches off the ground). You didn't get your hips down at all, and you're not pulling your shoulders back either. Rounding both your upper and lower back is a recipe for injury...

Also... wow. That was the saddest looking front squat attempt I've ever seen. His hand positioning made me thing he was about to OH press the bar... And then the distance he went down made me think he was about to push press it instead, but forgot to press lol.

Invain
07-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm gonna go with cphafner and boo your gloves too. I used to use them, but I sucked it up and worked on my grip. Trust me, you don't want your grip limiting how much you can lift, which is what was starting to happen to me.

Gabrielle
07-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Dang, you lifted up that 405 like it was nothing. I would recommend working on bringing your hips lower before you start the lift.

bigmoney
07-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Like everyone said, you locked out your knees way to early, not utilizing your hips which are a huge factor in the DL. I cant really tell because of the angle, but it looks like you need to get your shoulders behind the bar instead of infront. Also, keep in mind to pull back not just up.

Read every article at www.elitefts.com and youll be on your way.

KingWilder
07-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I agree with what others have said and just wanted to say that I too was drawn away from your DL by the horrible attempt at front squatting by the guy in the background haha

-Superman-
07-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for advice guys. Yeah I need to use my legs more. I don't really feel any stress on my thighs during the lift. I feel stress in my calves and the lower part of my hamstrings.

Yeah that guy was doing like 3-4 sets of those front squats when I was deadlifting. I wasn't sure if he was doing them right. I never have done them before. But I did think something was weird from comparing his form to Ronnie Coleman's that I remembered watching in a video. I guess you guys will get a kick out of more videos since I routinely see people doing lifts funny. Maybe I will get the Smith Machine in action or someone doing curls in the squat rack hahahaha. :D

TwiloMike
07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't critique your lift because I just can't take my eyes off that guy doing those pathetic front squats in the background. But from what my peripheral eye cought, your lower back was far from tight.

Those were loaded courtsies. I kept staring at them also.