PDA

View Full Version : Pasta Sauce

Steely_charm
07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Does anyone have a good recipe for a cheap pasta sauce. I know the bulk of pasta sauce will be tomatoes but I don't like the taste of them so I am looking for more ingredients to take that strong tomato taste away.

I am currently using Dolmio pepperami sauce which is really good but expensive when on a budget.

Any ideas would be great.

sharkall2003
07-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Everyone cares about taste, and not nutritional benefits. Just stick with some cheap crap that has not hydrogenated oils in it.

KingWilder
07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
well taste is rather important....

see if you can find Bertolli brand sauce

Steely_charm
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
The reason I posted this was to get recipes for pasta sauce that I can put together on a budget and so I know what I'm adding to it.

So unless you have a positive answer I suggest you don't post a reply!

tuttut :bang: :bang: :soapbox: :soapbox:

Unreal
07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
www.foodtv.com or www.google.com

Look through recipes, try them out.

jack sparrow
07-24-2007, 01:22 AM
i don't know any...i thought you know;that's why i clicked on this link

fryguy
08-08-2007, 02:49 PM
put steak in it nstead of meatballs

fryguy
08-08-2007, 02:49 PM
*instead

getfit
08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
pasta sauce with mushrooms and spinach.

WORLD
08-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I make my own pasta sauce, different every time.
Basically start by cooking your ground beef in a deep pan. Add veggies as it cooks, whatever veggies you like. Add some spices, pepper, salt, some chopped up garlic, onions etc..chili powder even.
Experiment man, you can't really screw up your sauce by adding something different. After it's all cooked, I usually pour in some tomatoe sauce, but since you dont like tomatoe taste skip that step. If you don't add tomatoe sauce, your meat will be pretty dry. It's still tasty though.

If that doesn't sound appetizing, try some chicken alfredo. Cook some chicken in the pan,with lemon and salt/pepper, add alfredo sauce. Done.

I'm getting hungry, I think that's what I'll cook tonight. Thanks for the idea!

ArmandSV
08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
may I recommend using ground pork in your sauce, I have found a 4% fat package at vons and pork has 12g more protein then turkey per serving and less fat too

I use a sauce that starts with D and is about 7.50 a jar, and uses san marzano tomatoes, they are what the pros use in their sauces.

I use a can for 2-3lbs of meat and its still not very thick, also the ingredients are better then most cheap sauces

found it its called Delallo Imported Vodka Pasta Sauce - 24.3 Oz

ingredients
Pulp of San Marzano Tomatoes, Cream, Parmigiano Cheese, Romano Cheese, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Onion, Basil, Garlic, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Vodka, Salt.

info
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 0.5 cup
Servings Per Container 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories 80
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5g 8%
Saturated Fat 2g 9%
Trans Fat (-)
Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Sodium 530mg 22%
Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1g 6%
Sugars 4g
Protein 2g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 4%
Iron 4%

cphafner
08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
my italian roommate made fun of me for using a can of crushed tomatos as pasta sauce. I was in a pinch, what do you want.