PDA

View Full Version : potatoes

sweitz
07-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Are potatoes good for a cut? and has anyone here tried HIIT?

Unreal
07-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Depends on how they fit in to your diet and how they are prepared. Baked, fried, sweet, red, mashed, golden, covered in butter, etc.

Yes, tons of people have.

Unholy
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/charles_clarke_potato.jpg
"Mr. Potato head does not appreciate being eaten on a cut."

Unless of course you are on NO-Explode.

BBB
07-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Lmao!

getfit
07-23-2007, 02:43 PM
i prefer sweet potatoes

Unholy
07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
i prefer sweet potatoes

Both have there place on a cut, just like almost any food.

To the OP, you should do a lot more reading before asking questions such as this. Once you understand how basic nutrition works you will realize that you can eat almost anything as long as you hit certain macros and your desired calories.

BigBossMan
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Are potatoes good for a cut? and has anyone here tried HIIT?

White Potatoes......Baked have a GI rating of 100. Which means that I would not recommend them at any time(post workout maybe). Let alone a cut. Sweet Potatoes on the other hand ironically enough are alot less I think between 59-69...but at the end of the day if you burned more cals then you ate you are still cutting.

sweitz
07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Both have there place on a cut, just like almost any food.

To the OP, you should do a lot more reading before asking questions such as this. Once you understand how basic nutrition works you will realize that you can eat almost anything as long as you hit certain macros and your desired calories.

So you answer on your second post because your busy being a smart ass on the first. Awesome

Unholy
07-23-2007, 04:07 PM
No I just find you amusing.

Questor
07-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Mr. D
07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
White Potatoes......Baked have a GI rating of 100. Which means that I would not recommend them at any time(post workout maybe). Let alone a cut. Sweet Potatoes on the other hand ironically enough are alot less I think between 59-69...but at the end of the day if you burned more cals then you ate you are still cutting.

Baked Potato with Cottage Cheese and salsa is great.If you can fit it into your cutting calories, then im all for it.

jamrock
07-24-2007, 09:02 AM

Proof!! *******s do squint!

Eat which ever one you want. The difference between a sweet potato and a yukon (yellow) potato is negligible. Just like white and brown rice. I alternate and the only difference I notice is taste. Sometimes I use ground oats instead.. Always about a 45-60min before I work out. Feel free to worry more about the rest of your diet and training than the GI index of a ****ing potato - results will follow.

Keith
07-24-2007, 09:43 AM

:withstupi

Couldn't have said it any better.

Do more reading before posting a thread like this.

ddegroff
07-24-2007, 12:32 PM

Until you lather it in butter. Or cheese, or olive oil etc.

GI isn't that big of deal. Mainly because it's based off of the potato by itself. Who eats a potato plain?

Holto
07-24-2007, 02:02 PM

GI is obselete.

White potatoes are #1 on the satiety index and have a low glycemic load.

One of my #1 cutting foods and I'm not exactly a high calorie guy, I diet on 3000-3500. They are nutritious and filling. Can't beat them for a cut.

BigBossMan
07-24-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't see how mixing the food would change the outcome of the effect on blood glucose levels??? If this is the case then maybe my dextrose/protein/milk pwo shake isn't as effective as I thought.... Can you explain how this works

Unholy
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't see how mixing the food would change the outcome of the effect on blood glucose levels??? If this is the case then maybe my dextrose/protein/milk pwo shake isn't as effective as I thought.... Can you explain how this works

It totally changes it. And yes Dex/Protein/milk is definitely overrated. Yes technically its optimal but as Belial has pointed out in previous threads. As long as you eat something post workout you are fine. to 99% of the people on these forums it won't make a difference whether they have a PWO shake or a snickers bar after they work out.

Holto
07-24-2007, 03:18 PM

A food only raises blood glucose as indicated by the GI if you eat the food

1) By itself
2) Exactly 50 grams of digestible carbohydrate

Fat takes longer to clear the stomach than carbs or fat. Mixing potatoes with fat delays gastric emptying and totally destroys the relevance of GI.

Trust us. GI is obselete. The only way to even reasonably determine the glycemic response of a meal is to calculate the glycemic load for each food and then average them. Glycemic load takes into account serving size, GI does not. One of many reasons why its not usefull for anything.

Carrots are another food that people are told to avoid while dieting because of a high GI. Any idea the quantity of carrots it takes to get 50 grams of digestible carbohydrate?

If potatoes are low in calories and filling they are a GREAT food for cutting. You are not going to put on weight because of some hidden magic decrypted by GI.

IZich
07-24-2007, 04:53 PM

:withstupi
That should be a mantra around here.

SelfMade
07-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Both have there place, but they have alotta carbs so i dont really think so!!!

Biggins
07-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I think that if you have no blood glucose isssues then eat what ever carbs you like.If you have issues like me than youll really see results with better carb selections.

After my PWO dex shake I get super low blood sugar an hour later and wanna hit burger king for a fix.

Holto
07-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I think that if you have no blood glucose isssues then eat what ever carbs you like.If you have issues like me than youll really see results with better carb selections.

After my PWO dex shake I get super low blood sugar an hour later and wanna hit burger king for a fix.

If you haven't already you should read up on 'resting insulin levels'.

BigBossMan
07-25-2007, 09:44 AM
What about carbs that contain sugar...IE cookies and fat or blueberry preserves...I had been craving some cookies and after our discussion here went to town on some last night figuring eh they have fat in them and whole wheat I shouldn't worry about the insulin spike....oddly enough I seemed to have lost more fat after pigging out some cookies last night.

Holto
07-25-2007, 01:40 PM
What about carbs that contain sugar...IE cookies and fat or blueberry preserves...I had been craving some cookies and after our discussion here went to town on some last night figuring eh they have fat in them and whole wheat I shouldn't worry about the insulin spike....oddly enough I seemed to have lost more fat after pigging out some cookies last night.

If I eat junk food I specifically look for fat content. For example chocolate covered almonds will disrupt my blood sugar much less than an Aero bar.

Built
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
The other thing to look at with "sugar" is fructose. Sucrose is half glucose/half fructose. Starches are glucose polymers - the stuff you want.

Regarding HIIT, read "how to do cardio if you must" - link's in my sig, and I have several options for you in there.

Biggins
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
If you haven't already you should read up on 'resting insulin levels'.

Can you explain what you mean?Is there an article on these here forums?

Holto
07-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Can you explain what you mean?

Your insulin levels between meals.

If your resting levels are high it doesn't take much to disrupt your blood sugar. It's a viscous cycle. One that can easily be corrected by reducing sugar intake and eating balanced meals that include protein, fat and fiber. The trick is doing it at each meal over an extended period of time. It only takes one consistent bad habit to keep your resting insulin levels high. Pop for example or eating junk late at night.

Is there an article on these here forums?

Not that I'm aware of.