Flip cars. 4 tires right there.
Originally Posted by Dracoy
Haha, bit of an old post I think that one is mate.
I wouldn't mind having an honest crack at flipping a small hatchback one of these days, no idea how close I'd be to getting one moving yet.
1x5 @ 87.5kg(192.5lbs)
5x5 @ 110kg(242lbs)
1 Arm KB Row
2x18 @ 24kg(53lbs)
Snatch Grip RDL's
3x8 @ 67.5kg(150lbs)
3x30 seconds with 16kg KB
-The whole session was done after 4 hours sleep last night and a nutritionally poor day. Was considering just scrapping the workout and doing it tomorrow instead but decided instead to have a glass of cement and HTFU. After reading blokes logs like Tim, I know I've got nothing even close to some of the difficulties he faces at times.
- I did Bench first today for two reasons. Firstly, it takes up more space then Squats and I was running a bit late and secondly I'd read someone commenting that they usually tried to work their shoulders somewhat before squatting as additional warmup. I didn't find that it made much difference. This was a hard set and I almost lost it on the 3rd Rep but a mate steadied the bar slightly (I was losing it to the side funnily enough) and I pumped out the other two reps.
- This is probably the first time squats have all been really difficult. The last 1-2 reps on all sets were real grinders and I had to really focus to grit through it. See how we go next week, 112.5kg here I come.
- I like doing the 1 Arm rows, I feel they really benefit a whole host of bodyparts (grip, back, arms, abs) and it's a good challenge. I will try get to 25 reps and then move up to the 32kg KB.
- Love Snatch Grip RDL's, I tried to really protract my shoulders today as well as driving the ass back and staying on the heels. My grip was really tanked and I had to reset it on the last reps of the sets. I've been having some pain in my shoulders, elbows and wrists lately so I'm trying to reduce volume, do all lifts with impeccable form and pay attention to recovery.
- Planks were tough, I may try upping the length to 40 seconds and then when I can do that well for 3 sets across, move on to a 20kg KB on the back.
- I really want to try and rid myself of these nagging little injuries at the moment. Feels like some tendonitis in the elbows, sore shoulders and also an inflamed left wrist. They're not incredibly painful but they are inhibiting me, especially from doing any O-lifts which I really want to get back in to doing. May go see a physio about it, or consult Dr. Boris.
6-7 x 5 @ 120kg(265lbs)
2x5 @ 60kg(135lbs)
1x5 @ 70kg(155lbs)
Double KB Swings
8, 8, 5
- No pushing movements for about 2 weeks. My left wrist is getting quite painful and I need to let it heal lest it become a chronic injury that puts me out for months. Wish me luck.
- Deadlifts are driving me mental. I should have a video up soon of one of my sets but I just cannot get the feel for this exercise. It looks as if my lower back is still rounding slightly even though I can squat 120kg and not have it round? If I can lift it without rounding my back I will up the weight by 2.5kg each week. I appreciate feedback from videos and try to be concious of it when lifting but I want to find a coach to cue me as I'm doing the lift as I think this will help immensely
- Front squats were done with bar resting on the delts and arms extended (to save the wrist). Weights were easy as I didn't want to fry the legs too much more after heaps of deadlifts.
- Double KB Swings were just done to fool around. Good exercise.
- Chinups were meh, I was in a rush and I need to start doing more but my elbow tendons are also feeling a bit strained/inflamed at times so I'm wary. I may take a bit of a deload week next week.
Looking strong dude! Squats look great, 110 for 5x5 is no joke.
Have you tried clean or snatch style DL? It forces you to really overemphasize the arch and might be a nice change if youre having trouble with conv. DL. For what its worth, I havent done a gods honest DL in a long time and havent noticed any problems or imbalances. Between RDL and clean/snatch DLs/Pulls I get enough floor action. Food for thought :)
I can't do any Oly lifts atm unfortuntaly Zen because of a bunged up wrist. Hopefully when that heals I will be able to get back in to them. I may try Snatch Grip DL's, what's the difference between a Clean Grip DL and Conventional?
I didnt mean full lifts, just the first couple of pulls of an O lift.
Conventional and Sumo DL:
Shoulders behind bar the entire time
--Weight shifts from ball of feet to mid foot (then back to balls if you are going to complete the lift... which is why you see O shoes change angles on the sole)
--Shoulders ahead of the bar as long as possible which = until bar is at the "lap" area (or, in OLY lingo, your shoulders will be ahead of the bar through the first pull and halfway through the second pull)
--Lats are flexed to keep the bar close to the body
Edit: I have pictures illustrating the difference but cant find them on the net. They are in Tommy Kono's "Weightlifting Olympic Style" book.
1x5 @ 120kg(265lbs)
Pushups on Fists
Wide Grip DL's
3x5 @ 100kg(220lbs)
3x10 @ 50kg(110lbs)
A few reps messing around for a Video to put online. Should be up soon
- Happy with the squats, I was apparently getting good depth of two blokes watching me.
- Pushups on my fists are the only pressing movement I can think of right now that doesn't strain my wrist so these are going to be the norm for the next week or so.
- Deadlifts felt better today, unfortunately didn't get a video. May have been because of a reduction in weight or taking a wider grip on the bar?
- Bent Rows were good, really feeling it in my lats and lower traps.
- Rope pullups were just done messing around.
- KB Swings were done for a video and not really important.
A video of my deadlift form that Im not happy with at the moment. I feel like I'm rounding too much at my lumbar spine and as a result it almost becomes a lumbar spine extension as opposed to a hip extension near the top. This was 120kg(242lbs).
5x5 @ 112.5kg(250lbs)
3x5 @ 50kg
3x3 @ 105kg(230lbs)
1 Arm DB Row
1x20 @ 22.5kg(50lbs)
1x15 @ 22.5kg(50lbs)
3x30 seconds with a 15kg Plate
- Squats felt very hard today, I noticed that I favour my right hand side when I squat as I was squatting in front of a mirror. I will get a video up soon but right now I hit depth on my right side and not on my left... This is an issue :P.
- I know I said no pushing movements for two weeks but I used Boris' handy-dandy wrist wraps that meant I couldn't even move my hands back to a position where it hurt. These may be a valuable investment. Press was hard. Everything was hard today.
- I cut deadlifts short because I was bleeding on the bar. I forgot to take socks and my shins were bleeding in about 3 spots. Dang. I got some good coaching on the lift from a French Olympic lifter who competed at the World Masters Games over the weekend. Both he and his girlfriend are very, very strong people.
- Rows were meh, nothing special.
- Planks felt alright, a slight pain at the top of my glutes? I worked a pretty long day today doing a lot of digging and bending over so I think my lower back may have been a bit worn out.
- I think I'm going to try do chins every day, not a massive amount just 5-6 reps here and there to try and "grease the groove".
- Trained at North Sydney PCYC. I saw a 48kg(105lb) French lady squat 150kg(330lbs) for a double. Dang.
Interesting choice of music for the video. Haha.
Good squatting goin on in here...
Haha I was using my mates camera and he uploaded them for me. He obviously thought he'd be a bit funny :P.
Originally Posted by natediesel
Thanks though man, I love the squats and am determined to not be a bitch haha.
Need more ab work, all that crossfit stuff has made your core lacking in thickness.
1 x 62.5kg(137.5lbs)
Dimas Front Squat
3x3 @ 70kg(155lbs)
9, 8, 6
Snatch Grip RDL's
3x8 @ 70kg(155lbs)
2-Hand KB Swings
3x12 @ 24kg(53lbs)
- Press was done because I haven't gone for a 1RM in a while. Pretty dismal result, would have liked 65kg which I attempted and missed. Alas, alas.
- Squats are done with arms extended and bars simply resting on the delts/clavicle. My wrist is still busted up so I can't hold it in a normal position.
- Chinups were chinups, I need to start doing these more often (e.g. 1-2 sets as part of a warmup as well as work sets in a workout).
- Snatch Grip RDL's were VERY hard on my grip, had to revert to using a hook grip which I still had to reset once or twice. Not sure my form was the best with these so I will keep it at this weight next week.
- Swings were alright, trying to pull the bell down as I've been told this can help with abdominal strength as well.
- Really need to sort my wrist out, I'm going to see an acupuncturist on recommendation of a friend and after that will maybe try a physio or something. ATM it's limiting my training a fair bit, can't do any pressing movements really without pain or any olympic lifts which is annoying. After Matti Tikka I'm going to take a week off and then change my training up for a bit. Work on a bit of rehab stuff, fixing up my body composition a bit and get fresh for a new heavy strength cycle in the New Year.
Got any favourite exercises to recommend Cliff?
Originally Posted by Risk10k
1x5 @ 125kg(275lbs)
20, 16, 10, 13
2x3 @ 120kg(265lbs)
1x3 @ 130kg(285lbs)
Barbell Front Raises
3x8 @ 20kg
3x10 @ 50kg
3x30 seconds with 16kg KB
6, 7, 6
- Squats were difficult, I made a 5kg jump from last Friday. I'm not sure I'll be able to sustain this every week, I may try and alternate between 2.5kg and 5kg jumps. I'll have a video up later for form, depth, ladida.
- My wrist is still stuffed, thus pushups are one of the only pushing movements I can do that give me no pain. I went to see an acupuncturist today on recommendation from a mate but I'm not sure it's helped much. Having a full deload week after Matti Tikka so hopefully that will help.
- I think I've managed to sort my Deadlift form out, I'll have videos up soon for critique.
- Front Raises are another exercise I thought of that will work my shoulders somewhat without stressing my wrist at all. Something's better than nothing I guess.
- Bent Row will go up in weight next week, all these reps felt good and controlled.
- Planks and Chins were good, might be ready to move up weight in Planks. I may also try some other ab exercises as I feel it's a major weakness of mine at the moment. I want to be better at Chinups so I'm trying to do them at the end of every session, as well as a few sets of 4-5 in the warmup and throughout the day. See what happens eh?
You just passed me in squats. Screw this diet, i need to bring the pain! :outnumber:
Nice work Tom. The deadlifts didnt look bad at all and it says a lot about you that you are working that hard on form, really great work.
Hope the wrist feels better soon!
Strong all around. I really liked the ghetto bench setup from the pictures a few back.
Thanks mate, the ghetto setup makes me feel tough when the weight on the bar can't haha.
Originally Posted by galileo
5x5 @ 115kg(255lbs)
5 @ 45kg(100lbs)
5 @ 50kg(110lbs)
3 @ 55kg(120lbs)
3 @ 120kg(265lbs)
3 @ 130kg(285lbs)
3 @ 140kg(310lbs)
20, 17, 12, 11
1 Arm KB Row
20, 12, 10 @ 24kg
- Squats were hard today, last reps on most sets were grinders. I'll have a video up soon of my sets.
- Press was good, no wrist pain as I was very concious to keep it in a good position. I'll start trying to Press again regularly and maybe do a little Bench Press on Friday at PCYC.
- Deadlifts felt good, feel my form is getting better. Videos up of my sets soon.
- I was happy with my pushups, 3 minutes rest between all sets and managed to push out more reps then ever before.
- 1 arm KB Row numbers are for each arm. I realised that I may have been using a bit of body swing in the movement so for the next two sets I tried to really lock everything in and only use my arms and back.
- I'll post up a few entries regaring diet soon as well. I worry I may not be eating enough to recover at times but I still find myself putting on a little weight here and there. See what you all reckon.
Squats from Mondays session.
Deadlifts from Mondays session.
Good job Tom, shifting some decent weight on squats and deads now, I am jealous due to not being able to do either right now, but don't worry I will be coming after you soon :)
As for 1 arm rows, it;s VERY easy to let form slip on these. It sometimes happens to me and when I notice it.. I just take a second to collect myself and re-focus and then bang out the rest of the reps with everything nice and locked. Really keep the KB/DB close to your body and feel it in the lats.
Keep up the hard work!
3x3 @ 70kg(155lbs)
3x10 @ 52.5kg(115lbs)
4, 5, 6, 5, 4
3, 4, 5, 4, 3
2x3 @ 100kg(220lbs)
- I need to fix up my programming, Wednesdays are becoming really wishy washy and I'm changing exercises around too much on other days as well. I will post up a program that I will strive to stick to in the next post, would appreciate any comments or criticism on it.
- Front squats were alright, trying to reduce the amount of tail tuck at the bottom.
- I was happy with the Bent Row though I was told I do more of a "Pendlay Row" where the torso is almost perpendicular to the ground. Meh.
- Ring Dips were alright, not terribly hard. I still feel a strange pain/sensation in my right shoulder near the top of the movement. I won't be doing these regularly.
- Just buggerising around with the pullups really, they did feel hard today. I'm going to start trying to do 3 sets at the end of every workout as I stretch.
- Deadlifts were just to try and nail form down. The bar was already loaded and on the ground so I thought "Why not?".
Just something I'd to point out to you Tom that I don't really want to say on the aussie Powerlifters forum, the IPF guys have ****ing terrible physiques - And there has been some terrible advice being flung around, some good - but some fricking terribleible. On that note, I'd really like to see you double your numbers in the next year - you have an excellent build for deadlifting, I think you could easily pull 400+ with some setup tweaks and a month or two.