Guys im confused! Help me!
I have been lifting weights since about 1997 and I am now 24.since joining this board recently I have learned so much and realised my mistakes in the past. I have never had a serious bulk before instead just tending to gain a few pounds of muscle a year more by chance than by any understanding of proper methodology. For most of my years lifting I have wanted to be defined and thought I cud achieve this without gaining fat, I did this but results took a long time to appear. I did too much weights and cardio and didn’t eat enough fat and protein or sufficient calories to build mass. I suffered injuries such as tendonitis from overtraining and could not weight train for over a year.
Now I am 220 lbs approx 6-foot 26.5inch quads 16-inch arm 17-inch neck 18-inch calves 47-inch chest 37-inch waist. I haven’t access to a bodyfat reading but I am carrying a good bit of fat around midrift (belly love handles) but upper abdominals and much of ribcage still visable.
So I am almost a week into my first proper bulk, I am consuming near to 4000 calories a day with approx 300g protein 140g fat. Whey protein is consumed first thing in morning and directly after workout.
My workouts this week have been
Squats on smith machine strict to parallel 2 warm up sets then 5 heavy sets of 8 5 5 4 4 . The weight wud only allow me to do those reps.
Lunges with 50 lb dumbbells in each hand 3 sets with as many reps as possible (not many as my legs were already wrecked from squats.)
Sissy squats 3 sets at about 4 reps each set
Heavy leg extensions 7 6 5 4 then some light sets to failure
Good morning medium weight to warm up 2 sets
Heavy lying leg curls 8 6 6 5 4
Heavy standing calf raises on smith machine 8 6 5 4
Heavy exercises for shin muscle 3 sets
Back and chest
Bench press flat barbell 5 sets 10 7 6 5 4
Flat dumbbell press’s 4 sets 5 4 3 3
Incline dumbbell press’s 4 sets 8 6 5 4
Wide grip pull ups behind neck max reps by 5 sets
Bent over rows 9 7 6 5 4
Heavy narrow grip pull downs 3 sets 8 5 4
Lat pull downs wide grip 3 sets 10 8 8
Dumbbell flys 7 6 5 4
Pec deck 6 5 4 4
Shoulders biceps triceps
Military press (standing) 9 7 7 6 4
Machine press very heavy 5 4
Standing side raise 8 7 6 5
Front raise 8 6 5 4
Standing bent over dumbbell lateral raises 8 7 6
Bicep curl with bar 8 6 5 4
Bicep dumbbell curls 8 6 6 6 5
Hammer curls 8 7 6
Preacher curls 8 7 6 5 4
Dips 3 sets 10 8 6
Seated incline press downs 10 8 6 6
Rope pull down 8 7 6 5
Skulls 9 7 6 5
Traps, abs, lower back extensions,neck,forearms
Heavy barbell shrugs 9 8 6 4 4
Dumbbell shrugs 7 6
Upright rows 9 7 6 6 4
Swiss ball lower back extensions
Weighted neck exercises 8 8 6
wrist curls on bench 8 6 6 4
Behind back wrist curls 8 6 6 5 4
More hammer curls 8 8 6 6
So what do ya think of my routine maybe I shud include some rest days in between , am i doin enough to maximise my growth? I plan to do this routine every week of bulking.
I am confused about how often to train per week I know I used to do the same body parts too many times a week but now I feel im not doing enough by doing each body part per week. I feel like I cud do each body part twice per week with exception of legs.
I have probably average recovery rate I don’t think I recover very quickly or very slow so can any of you guys explain to me with use of scientific principles what is my optimum workouts per body part per week with exception of legs which I can only do once a week .
I have not experimented much before as I have not bulked or gone really heavy before instead just gradually building up strength slowly with slow long term muscle gains.
Im gonna bulk for 2 –3 months then cut and maybe repeat again before next summer.
Yours in bodybuilding
p.s i dont use any supplments/drugs apart from whey but i am considering glutamine tribulus and flax seed oil.
come on must be someone out there to help me!!
Eat more and keep things simple you have to much on your plate for each body part. Use mass building exercises:
Squat! Squat! Squat!
BB Bent over rows
Personally I would put some rest days in between your training. Lift heavy and eat. Check some bulking routines in the wbb search.
I think 80% of bulking is just enough food and rest, the other 20% is your training. Your gonna see progress as long as you don't overtain or undertrain (i.e. not enough intensity) which screws up your body from growing.
Your routine looks like it does a lot, it might be perfect for you body thou. Some questions you should ask yourself is... are you making progress? If your not making progress and you got the diet and rest on the dot its probably your training (progress to me = getting better and stronger).
I say give the routine a try for a 6-8 weeks, and if it seems like it aint doing it for you change the routine.