Abs Like a Brick Wall
by Chad Waterbury
Want great looking abs that can also absorb a punch? I've got a good tip for ya. Back in my hometown there's a beer joint called The Bloody Bucket. Spend a few Friday nights there and you'll learn to take a punch in a hurry (I sure did). Just stay away from a fella named Tire Iron until you build up some tolerance.
If that doesn't sound appealing to you, there's another way to go at it. I've spent considerable time around boxers, grapplers, and all-round bad-asses. I picked this exercise from them, so they get the credit. It's called Plate Drops.
Here's what you do:
1. Lay on your back on the floor with your legs extended.
2. Grab a 25 pound plate and hold it 6 inches above your midsection (the large, flat side is facing your abs, don't hold the plate perpendicular to your abs).
3. Tighten your abdominal region.
4. Release (drop) the plate on your abdominal region so it falls flat on your midsection.
5. Rest 30 seconds and perform 9 more drops with the same rest period.
These Plate Drops mimic a very large surface area blow to the midsection. The key to this exercise is to constantly increase the height that you drop the plate from. For the first week, perform this exercise every other day from the same 6-inch height position. The following week, increase it to 10 inches. Once you can drop the plate from a full arm-extended position, switch to a 35 lb plate and start over from the same initial height (6 inches). The ultimate goal is to perform this exercise with full arm extension utilizing a 45 lb plate. You'll develop a tighter, more muscular abdominal musculature while subsequently learning to take one helluva punch/kick to the midsection!
Recently, a member of the Hell's Angels contacted me to design a strength-training program for him. He swears by this exercise and he says the improvements have helped him immensely. How can you argue with that?!
I think im going to start this. What do you guys think?