So is anyone else playing this? (it came out Tuesday or Wednesday...)
- interface quite similar to GTA
- atmosphere and artwork pretty cool; period-appropriate
- connections to the movie are neat; at one point Sonny Corleone accosts your character who is watching a conversation FROM the movie with a comment like "hey! kid! you think you're watching a movie or something? Get out of here!"
- lots of film clips from the original movie
- very customizable character, with the ability to change most features of his appearance
- some cool 'new york' scenery and moments... driving along the Brooklyn Bridge or the Manhattan Bridge as night falls and the lights come on is pretty damn cool
- missions 'from the movie' including a flight to California to see a man about a horse... or at least part of a horse.
- interrogations and threatening modes that are *slightly* similar to "The Punisher"; you can make use of the environment including, but not limited to open firey ovens, low-hanging tombstones, broken windows, rooftop ledges and so on
I am having fun playing the game but I have doubts about its replayability... it's fun NOW, I don't know that I would pick it up again in a couple months the way I did with GTA, especially GTA San Andreas. GTA bears the best comparisons with it, and I'd say it comes off like a custom mod for GTA with some funky stuff layered on. Basically you've played this game before, just not quite like this.
My advice for players:
1) Do a bunch of the missions first before bothering with attempts to extort businesses; you will get a bunch of respect and cash, which in turn will translate into skills and upgrades, which will make it easier to extort businesses and take over rackets. I was a "made man" or Soldier before I did most of my extorting. By that point I could go in and many of the businesses would just turn over the cash without a fight.
2) Especially when taking out other mobsters outside a business you want to extort, start with your fists wherever possible. Don't know if it's intentional or not in the AI but if you start punching one guy, most of the other mobsters will run in to help him in hand to hand. You can usually punch the crap out of all of them easily. UNless they're Capo rank or above, which makes it harder to defeat them in HTH because they can block better and punch harder. You also get more Respect if you defeat other mobsters in HTH. NOTE: if your 'vendetta' level is high, then this does not apply... once you're near to a mob war, the other mobs will start Tommy Gunning you from across the road even if you're locked in fisticuffs with their buddy!
3) When taking out warehouses, hubs or compunds, I have found that the following strategies work well: either take a car and ram through the roadblocks into the interior of the defended area and then take cover and engage in gunfight OR stand off and throw some bombs/dynamite/molotovs at the cluster of enemy mobsters at the entrance to thin them out a bit. This will make like MUCH easier for you.
4) In most churches, there is a crooked FBI guy in the basement. Bribe him to put the screws on other families and ease up on the Corleones and your VENDETTA level will go down across the board. Useful if you don't want to start a mob war.
5) Upgrade your favourite weapons to Level 2 as soon as possible. Level 3 can wait, as most of those upgrades are on the hundreds of thousands of $$. The black market weapon upgrades are marked on your map with the weapon icon and the little spray of stars beside it.
That's it for now. Looking forward to feedback from anyone else playing.
Do you have 360? I am dying to get back to the states so I can buy one and this game. Glad you're enjoying it.
"it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"
6'1", 206, 11.5%
Total: 895 and moving up.
Check my progress and read more in My Journal.
I haven`t played any video games for ages because I just can`t get into them anymore. I was waiting for the new GTA to come out before I picked up another controller. But if this is GTA-esque I might just have to try it.
What console is it for?
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
I was under the impression the 360 version won't be coming out for a while now I could be wrong though.
Formerly a CMU Chippewa!
Excellent review, Callahan.
How does it compare to Mafia for the PC?
I'm playing this on the PS2. They're saying it's the last 'big game' for that platform.
No idea how it compares to Mafia, as I haven't played that game.
Not 100% on this but I believe its available for PS2, Xbox and Xbox360. I never have and never will own an xbox so I don't really track it.
*offtopic*Originally Posted by Callahan
I had the same attitude until I finally broke down and bought an Xbox purely for Forza Motorsport, I havn't used my ps2 for anything other than a cd player.
I may pick up this game, thanks for the review!
Fun game so far. Some of the missions get tough later on.
Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.
HilarityStriding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:
"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
Tough? What are you having trouble with?Originally Posted by Unreal
I cranked through most of the missions pretty easily. I'm done most of 'em now.