Thread: Pain in hip from deep squatting

Pain in hip from deep squatting

So a few weeks ago, on one (fairly light) set of squats, I had a bad rep. Not too bad, but I felt like my weight was a little too far forward and I felt a pain in the front of my right hip joint. It remained on subsequent attempts to squat.

I squat ATF with my feet about shoulder-width-and-a-quarter and a comfortable angle out on the knees and feet.

I took a few weeks off after that day for a couple reasons (this pain being one of them), and I've been starting to get back into it.

At first, the pain would occur when doing even a single bodyweight squat. Then after a while it would only show up after maybe 8 bodyweight squats in a row. Then I could feel it doing a 135 lb squat. Recently I only started to feel it after a few reps at 135.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm not exactly sure what is injured. It doesn't feel like a muscle or tendon, because I don't feel like it is limiting my lift. I can lift through it, but that doesn't sound responsible to me unless it's a type of injury that responds well to working through it.

At its worst, the area feels tight when I stretch as in a bridge. Perhaps a ligament was strained?

Should I just keep trying to squat gradually more, stopping when (or just before) it starts to hurt?
    Any other recover tips? I really want to get back to being able to squat so I can get back on Bill Starr's 5x5.

Wannabebig New Member
    I know how you feel. Not being able to squat sucks bad. Give it another few days off, ice and heat it, take some ibuprofen, and invest in a foam roller. Foam rolling can help to prevent these kinds of things in the future.

Just to add: this actually happened about a month ago. I took 2 weeks almost completely off, and for the past two weeks I've been working out but just not squatting heavy.

Well, I would think that if it's progressing I would keep on doing what you're doing. I would also highly recommend trying a foam roller.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Ok, I'll look into the foam roller. What exactly does it do?

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832

Everything you need to know right there.....just so you know, it's going to be very painful your first few times, especially if you're tight and have alot of scar tissue built up.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Watch all of Sensei's Squat RX series.
    Nick V