The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squat Rx Videos

I understand what you are saying - I guess I view things in isolation rather than the big picture in that a 400lb trapbar deadlift to me is a good trap bar deadlift - I wouldn't even think to wonder if that would assist your squat / regular deadlift - they are different movements. I have always been of the opinion that to get better at bench pressing you need to bench if you know what I mean. Sounds like you look at things as more of a whole which is probably why you are the coach!
    Last edited by DanOz; 09-05-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanOz View Post
    I understand what you are saying - I guess I view things in isolation rather than the big picture in that a 400lb trapbar deadlift to me is a good trap bar deadlift - I wouldn't even think to wonder if that would assist your squat / regular deadlift. I have always been of the opinion that to get better at bench pressing you need to bench if you know what I mean. Sounds like you look at things as more of a whole which is probably why you are the coach!
    I dunno what your goals are Dan and of course the way you train is totally up to you but personally, and I think a fair few people will agree with me in relation to their own goals, I go to the gym to get stronger in general. Whilst it's great to be able to do a 400lb Trap-Bar Deadlift, what's the point if I can't pick up 200lbs in the real world?

The way I see it I want my strength gains in the gym to overlap to all the facets of my life and thus the exercises that offer the most "functional" (for lack of a better word) benefits are the ones i'm going to go with.

Just my $0.02
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LOL @ the latest comment on the squat rx 5 video !
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

... yeah, I try to delete those stupid spammers but it's like a virus...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    I dunno what your goals are Dan and of course the way you train is totally up to you but personally, and I think a fair few people will agree with me in relation to their own goals, I go to the gym to get stronger in general. Whilst it's great to be able to do a 400lb Trap-Bar Deadlift, what's the point if I can't pick up 200lbs in the real world?

The way I see it I want my strength gains in the gym to overlap to all the facets of my life and thus the exercises that offer the most "functional" (for lack of a better word) benefits are the ones i'm going to go with.

Just my $0.02

Agree with you totally about "real world" strength, thats why I do the trap bar deadlift & also trap bar farmers walk, they simulate movements I have to do in my job every day. The strength gained from this movement helps me enormously in my job. Progression in every movement will assist with functional real world strength as long as the real world movement resembles the movement you are training in my opinion.

Dan,
    Is there a reason that you prefer the trapbar DL over using DBs for the farmer's walk?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

I've seen a lot of strongman athletes prefer the trap bar farmers walks. Apparently it is much closer to the way the weight hangs so the movement is simulated a bit better. Obviously because events keep changing the style of walk, this is going to have less and less carryover.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Yes, I could see a lot of carry-over for a wheelbarrow event or maybe a car deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Dan,
    Is there a reason that you prefer the trapbar DL over using DBs for the farmer's walk?
    I use the trap bar because it is closest to what I do at work. I have to lift and carry weight in a two handed neutral grip stable structure. I should give DB's a go just to see the difference in the movements.
    Last edited by DanOz; 09-05-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Just my $0.02
    Hey Tom,
    Thinking further about what you said about real world functional strength, the movement of the trap bar deadlift is very similiar to using a loaded wheel barrow, or even picking up something like a washing machine or fridge - you use a neutral grip and lift. I haven't come up with many real life movements that simulate the hack squat where you stand in front of the object, reach behind you and lift it up to hold it behind your butt - or maybe I lead a dull life!

I actually agree with you on the principal of that weight training should have a real life functional carry over value. I probably didn't explain myself to well in my earlier post. What I was trying to say was that I am a believer that getting better in a particular range of movement helps you get stronger in those kinds of movements. I had not considered how they would assist you to get stronger in different kinds of movements.

Dan.

Hey Tom,
    Thinking further about what you said about real world functional strength, the movement of the trap bar deadlift is very similiar to using a loaded wheel barrow, or even picking up something like a washing machine or fridge - you use a neutral grip and lift. I haven't come up with many real life movements that simulate the hack squat where you stand in front of the object, reach behind you and lift it up to hold it behind your butt - or maybe I lead a dull life!
    Dan.
    Haha Yeah, I think you've got me there Dan. I can't remember the last time I hack squatted a washing machine lol. When lifting fridges or a washing machine however, whilst the the grip is neutral your arms are in front of your body (as opposed to out to the side in TrapBar DL's), changing the way you end up moving the weight. I do agree about using it like a farmers walk however, and for some reason hadn't even considered that, funny when I have to do it at my work.

So I guess they have their place after all :P. Admittedly I've never used or attempted a hack squat so I can't really discuss their benefits.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Hey Tom,
    Like Tom said, most of the time, in 'real life', you are holding the weight in front of you, behind you, or on your shoulders, not perfectly balanced at your sides... I think comparing the hack squat and a trap bar DL/SQ is really apples and oranges.

Haha Yeah, I think you've got me there Dan. I can't remember the last time I hack squatted a washing machine lol. When lifting fridges or a washing machine however, whilst the the grip is neutral your arms are in front of your body (as opposed to out to the side in TrapBar DL's), changing the way you end up moving the weight. I do agree about using it like a farmers walk however, and for some reason hadn't even considered that, funny when I have to do it at my work.

So I guess they have their place after all :P. Admittedly I've never used or attempted a hack squat so I can't really discuss their benefits.
    Each to their own I say Tom. Fair call about the washing machine still being a little in front of the body, & I agree with you that I won't be hack squat lifting it! Like I said before, I do a movement every day at work that is identical to a trap bar deadlift so thats why it is appropriate for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Red,
    These videos I thought were great:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ZV4gE0eUE
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uHB1r5Lo5iU

Noah,
    I know I talk about GMs in more than one of the videos. It's at about 4:30 in this video (Squat Rx #3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uHB1r5Lo5iU )

Very helpful, any good videos like that on deadlifting?

Sensei, your vids rock... now let's see a Deadlift Rx!!!
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

I'd like to do a series on deadlifting and benching, but, to be honest, I don't consider myself nearly as competent at them - I can instruct, but demonstrating is not going to be nearly as good as when I squat. I've talked w. a friend, but he lives 100+ miles away - if we can get it all figured out, we'll make them sometime in the future.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    You should update the first post with the new links and titles
    If this was a time before youtube, you could have made a killing off of selling your SquatRx videos. I would buy them

Are you going to address cambered, safety or buffalo bars or is it pretty much a given on how these work?

On a side note, I can't seem to get the hang of Hacks.

Keep up the good work!

WTF...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTmg...elated&search=
    Last edited by nddillon; 09-21-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    You should update the first post with the new links and titles
    If this was a time before youtube, you could have made a killing off of selling your SquatRx videos. I would buy them
    Done and thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by nddillon
    Are you going to address cambered, safety or buffalo bars or is it pretty much a given on how these work?
    I want to... they definately can be tough to get used to and I'm sure that more people would buy bars like that if they knew what the hell they were for. Someone more ambitious than me would probably contact elitefts, nybb, etc. and see if they'd be willing to 'sponsor' Squat Rx by sending a specialty bar or two, but I'm lazy and I'm not the best at throwing out a salespitch. I'd be happy to review equipment if anyone would like to send me some!
    On a side note, I can't seem to get the hang of Hacks.
    I hardly ever do them and when I do, they're just for fun. I threw them in for variation to keep things fresh and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nndillon
    Thanks again.

That's a great video, isn't it? Very well done and actually, I'm planning on talking about some of the things mentioned in that video in one of the next two Squat Rxes.

I went to the gym yesterday with the intention of shooting Squat Rx #17 (Westside Template Basics), but the gym was being used, so I ended up just making a kettlebell video w. squats - not really a "Squat Rx" video, but I'm throwing it in anyway...

Squat Rx Interlude: Kettlebells in September
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dt3k7ze8w4

hi all new to the site
    iam all the way from england ive wached the videos and iam going to tyr to inprove my squat been having probs with bending my back(good morning) but with my new nolage going to start from scrach
    5'11, 190 lbs and iam strugling at 90KG/187lbs ?????????

sorry for speling but dislexic normaly get the mrs to spell check but shes not in
    Last edited by slim jim UK; 09-28-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slim jim UK View Post
    hi all new to the site
    iam all the way from england ive wached the videos and iam going to tyr to inprove my squat been having probs with bending my back(good morning) but with my new nolage going to start from scrach
    Mate, this isn't meant in a disrepectful manner but seriously, use spell check as a lot of people aren't going to bother to reply to a post with readability like that. Or you're going to get flamed.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by slim jim UK View Post
    hi all new to the site

sorry for speling but dislexic normaly get the mrs to spell check but shes not in
    Well, it's not like you are starting from zero necessarily - kick the weight back a little, work on form, hit your weaknesses, and start adding weight.

This is fantastic work Sensei, a real asset to WBB!
    I searched for this thread because i know you did some squat tutorials a while back. This should be stickied IMO.
    Thanks again for this mate, very much appreciated!

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

Thanks 1mmortl4l. It isn't stickied, but there's a link to it in one of the "best of.." threads which IS stickied. It's a good thing IMO - sadly, stickies have a tendency to get ignored anyway.

I'm going to try to have a "Westside Basics" video out later this week.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-02-2007 at 07:46 AM.

Squat Rx #17: Westside Basics (Part I)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxnx5xozKCM

Squat Rx#17: Westside Basics (Part II)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F17X0ZeuT3o
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-03-2007 at 05:54 AM.