Thread: I'm not too fond of drop setting

I'm not too fond of drop setting

Not drop sets in the sense of blasting your lift with lower and lower weight until you fall over from exhaustion...

But just dropping weight at the end of a few heavy sets. Like if you bench 305x3, then finish up with 255x8 or something. It seems like every time I do this, the next time I do that particular excercise (5-7 days later) I feel weaker. But if I don't do the drop in weight, I feel stronger the next time I do it.

It's probably mental, but does anyone else feel like this?

Oh...PS.

I had my knee surgery 3 months ago, was non weight bearing for 6 weeks, and didn't go into the gym for about 9 weeks. It's amazing how fast you can lose muscle just sitting on a couch all day long for 2 months.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig New Member
    I would only do this if the 3x305lb is a progressive step to a higher weight and/or personal best.

The second set could then be dropped back down to the weight you were performing last time you did this excersise. This works well for me when breaking a plateau and boosting progression.
    Last edited by Shake; 12-31-2009 at 08:46 AM.

For some people drop sets can spark additional growth, while for others it may cause recovery problems.

Typically things like drop sets, supersets, and other advanced principals should be reserved for experienced trainees who have built up to that point. You will notice that over time your body usually adapts to be able to handle more volume/intensity.

Are you training for strength or for hypertrophy? If your goal is simply to be stronger then I wouldn't worry too much about the drop sets. If your goal is to build muscle then I wouldn't worry too much about your strength levels (you obviously want to make progress, but it should not be the primary concern).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

We do a lot of drop sets, especially on our bench days, however the key is to not take them to absolute failure

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I train primarily for strength, but I'm not gung ho about bulking anymore. Especially since I am unable to do squats or deads...it really limits me. I'm about 205 lbs now, and don't plan on gaining any more weight if possible. I'd love to see my bench get up to 400...but that's way down the road.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

i kinda feel the same as the OP, for certain exercises i would build up to 90% of my max (usually something i could rep for 4 rep) on my fourth set. Then i would sometimes go back lower the weight and go for a high rep set. For example on the bench i would build up to 240 for 4 reps on my 4th set then my 5th set i would lower it to 135lbs (a 45 on either side) maybe take my feet off the ground to remove my balance and just rep out as many as i could till i was done, going for form and rom.

But when i did this, like the op it might just be my mind playing with me but it feels like i didnt do myself any benefit... i never put much thought into it OUTSIDE of the gym until i read this.

Heres what i think; some workouts/weeks you train for strength (low reps heavy weight) sometimes you train for mass (higher reps, lower weight) trying to do both in one workout might be kinda counter productive.... thats just personally what im starting to think.
    Last edited by Skalami; 12-31-2009 at 12:43 PM.

don't worry about the weight, it'll come back pretty fast..

about your drop sets, if you really enjoy them, you could try eating a bit more carbs before and after you training which will help initial recovery better..

When I was BBing I used drop sets pretty often where I would finish up with 365x5 then drop down to a 225x20-25 or something.. I didn't have much of a problem recoverying though. Typically I did this every other week though.. just to mix things up.

I agree with Travis, don't take to absolute failure.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t