The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Whats this eating clean Bull ****

I keep hearing people talk about eating clean, like its going to get them bigger gains. Trying to eat clean on a bulk is probably not the best idea because you might not eat enough fats and overall calories.

I mean as long as your getting enough high quality protein, fats,carbs etc. Does it really matter clean or not? I mean what is dirty eating? Like eating potato chips? Well a pototato chip is just mostly a Potato and oil and stuff. There might be some bad stuff like a little bit of partially hydrogenated vegtible oil that may be bad for you but thats not going to matter at all for building muscle.

If you take what people consider dirty food, and split up their ingredients, they are all basic stuff that is found in healty food.

I think its hard to explain what I mean, maybe someone can tell me why eating clean or dirty matters at all for a bulk?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Amen. Though I try to keep my carbs and particularly my sugars down as much as possible, even while bulking, other than that, I don't particularly care what it is. I eat pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. So long as I stay in my set macros, I don't give a flying **** out a rolling doughnut.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie500 View Post
    I keep hearing people talk about eating clean, like its going to get them bigger gains. Trying to eat clean on a bulk is probably not the best idea because you might not eat enough fats and overall calories.

Huh? Just eat more cheese, nuts, pb, etcs...

I mean as long as your getting enough high quality protein, fats,carbs etc. Does it really matter clean or not? I mean what is dirty eating? Like eating potato chips? Well a pototato chip is just mostly a Potato and oil and stuff. There might be some bad stuff like a little bit of partially hydrogenated vegtible oil that may be bad for you but thats not going to matter at all for building muscle.

If you take what people consider dirty food, and split up their ingredients, they are all basic stuff that is found in healty food.

maybe, maybe not. but the clean food doesn't have an abundance of crap.

I think its hard to explain what I mean, maybe someone can tell me why eating clean or dirty matters at all for a bulk?
    it doesn't. you will gain weight either way, maybe even faster on a dirty bulk because cals are easier to come by. just don't expect to not have alot of excess fat you'll have to shed on the cut rather than if you kept it somewhat clean.

To the OP GOOD LUCK TO YOU! you wont progress to far.
    I will stick to healthy food bulk and cut
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

Because we all know that unsaturated fat in peanut butter will keep you lean, whereas unsaturated fat in potato chips will make you fat.

Just like chicken protein keeps you lean, whereas protein in a burger makes you fat.

To the OP: might as well delete your account now, you've threatened the dogma of the arm chair nutritionists on this board. You will be castigated and outcast.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Because eating like crap over an extended period of time is bound to give you some health problems that aren't exactly a reason to jump for joy. And it's quite easy to obtain a crapload of calories eating "clean" and healthy. You're not looking in the right places.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Sure it's easy to gain weight if you eat a bunch of ****. But come on, you don't think it's better for your health to eat healthy foods?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Because eating like crap over an extended period of time is bound to give you some health problems that aren't exactly a reason to jump for joy. And it's quite easy to obtain a crapload of calories eating "clean" and healthy. You're not looking in the right places.
    It is true that eating crap over an extended period of time is bound to give me health problems. I don't need to say here that saturated fat and trans fats are bad for me. However I intentionally eat plenty of fiber, as a way of perhaps blunting these effects somewhat. (the catch 22 there is that I'm probably robbing myself of some of the very calories I had hoped for via the fiber)

Fact is though that I'm bulking to a specific goal. I think most people are. I don't plan on bulking for the rest of my life, or even for years. When finished, I suppose my bulk will have taken about a 10 months or so. I'm nearing halfway through and 15.7% bf.

After my bulk, I'll cut, and then settle into a prolonged maint (plus a wee bit extra). It will be clean eating for the rest of my life.

And that's it...

I'm much more concerned about dying in traffic than having congestive heart failure at 30.

------------------------

About finding abundant calories in clean food at the same price point, I don't believe it. Our lard ass culture has popularized crappy food. It's mass produced, so it's cheaper. And it's concentrated. Scarz I know you've seen the site comparing 200 calories of various foods:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-20...-look-like.htm

You have to eat a lot of veggies to get X calories. You have to eat very little cheeseburger to get X calories.

There's lots of exceptions, of course.

Pure oil and nuts are dense with calories. I eat a lot of them. Just because they're healthy doesn't mean I abstain, - quite the opposite. I try to get as much healthy food as possible. But when I know I'm running low on calories, and I don't have more than $1, well it's double cheeseburger time.

The other important exception, as I mentioned right off the bat, is that I try to keep trash carbs and sugars out of my diet entirely. I have no problem eating oatmeal. But white bread and sugar, well, even on a bulk I avoid that stuff. Talk about actually making you fat.
    Last edited by Questor; 07-27-2007 at 03:39 PM.

There is much more to health than calories and macronutrients.

If you're saying there is no difference between clean and dirty foods, then please go on an all ice-cream diet with bacon and come back in a year with your monstrous gains. That'll prove me wrong.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Another brilliant post brought to you for the National Institute of Misinformation and Partial Understanding...where our motto is "N.I.M.P.U~ Meh. Whatever"
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I agree with that eating clean is better for your health, but for building muscle it doesn't really matter what you eat as long as your eating the right amount of calories and carbs/protein/fats.

That was my main argument is that it doesn't matter for building muscle. But most of the guys who post with problems and say "I'm eating clean" I usually think they are probably not eating properly, like their cutting out fats and stuff which are important.

indomitable will.
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    :withstupi

I agree with that eating clean is better for your health, but for building muscle it doesn't really matter what you eat as long as your eating the right amount of calories and carbs/protein/fats.

That was my main argument is that it doesn't matter for building muscle. But most of the guys who post with problems and say "I'm eating clean" I usually think they are probably not eating properly, like their cutting out fats and stuff which are important.
    You're still wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    To the OP: might as well delete your account now, you've threatened the dogma of the arm chair nutritionists on this board. You will be castigated and outcast.
    Maybe you should actually get to a decent weight before you start patting yourself on the back that you know how to bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Because we all know that unsaturated fat in peanut butter will keep you lean, whereas unsaturated fat in potato chips will make you fat.

Just like chicken protein keeps you lean, whereas protein in a burger makes you fat.

bahahahahaha. You rock. Marry me.

PS I'm drunk.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    Transfats and hydrogenated fats are gunna effect your insulin ... Your bodys response of insulin with glucose intake will make more insulin stay in your blood for longer, and increase insulin resistance.

Not a good idea if you're aiming to re-sensitize your insulin to help you with better/cleaner gains, hydrogenated/trans fats lead to diabetes, so for those that are diabetic, these types of fats are the worse types to eat as it'll just degenerate their pancreas further (if i remember correctly lol)

Why not just stuck to good old peanut butter if you're looking for more quick calories? And it's gunna be alot cleaner. Dont quite see the point in eating dirty and having to later go on a cut and clean your diet up? Would save you time and health problems just by eating clean.
    ---=[Knowledge Iz Power ... But A Little Knowledge Iz Dangerous]=---

Get some pics of your physique up i will bet mines better and i am health mad i have had about 2 maybe 3 cheat meals in about 5/6 months.
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

i wont lie, ive been eating like crap for 1 year and my lifts + size are better, however my cardio isnt that good, im only 17 so its ok for now but your better off eating wholesome foods.

the french toast i had for breakfast that was stuffed with cheese and bacon is NOT wholesome food, lol.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by samj View Post
    Get some pics of your physique up i will bet mines better and i am health mad i have had about 2 maybe 3 cheat meals in about 5/6 months.
    Care to compare?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I think we have a challenge...
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by samj View Post
    That's a whole lot of ego for little kid.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Dont quite see the point in eating dirty and having to later go on a cut and clean your diet up? Would save you time and health problems just by eating clean.
    :withstupi

Belial shut up. We all know your the 'mighty one' with all the answers.
    Starting over...

I don't believe Alex will post pics =O
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    Another brilliant post brought to you for the National Institute of Misinformation and Partial Understanding...where our motto is "N.I.M.P.U~ Meh. Whatever"

hahahaha I absolutely lost my mind when I read this outloud, you never fail to make my day Hatred.

Dead calories = most food on a dirty bulk. Why would food be called dead calories? Because they lack the vitamins, minerals, and EFAs required by your body.