The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Training Barefoot

For those that train barefoot or powerlift. This may be of some interest to you. I will be ordering a couple pairs for myself.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    AHH!! Those are horrible! They are like those toe socks that drive me nuts. >_<

On a side note...let us know how they are.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I've seen those before for people who like to run barefoot

it never even occurred to me to use them for lifting and I've been wanting to DL and SQ barefoot
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I've been deadlifting barefooted for the past few months (a little bit of front squatting too) and I love it. I'd really like to give these things a shot if I ever have a little extra money.

Recently they put up a small sign in my gym right where I normally deadlift that says "No shoes, no workout". I wonder what they would say about these things?

<3's WBB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    Recently they put up a small sign in my gym right where I normally deadlift that says "No shoes, no workout". I wonder what they would say about these things?
    I'd say most likely for sanitary, not safety reasons. If that is the case, these should be fine.

If you drop 45lb plate on your toe from chest height, sneakers aren't going to be your savior... so safety I think is a bull**** reason.
    21, Male, 5' 10", Cutting
    Starting weight: 228lbs. Currently (05/01/08): 168.2lbs (59.8 lost)
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by dscarth View Post
    I'd say most likely for sanitary, not safety reasons. If that is the case, these should be fine.

If you drop 45lb plate on your toe from chest height, sneakers aren't going to be your savior... so safety I think is a bull**** reason.
    . Socks and sneakers can absorb the sweat from a foot so the chance of slipping is less. Not only that, but when deadifting or squatting heavy, the weight is cushioned somewhat by the heel and sole of the shoe. Doing that in barefeet, any give is taken by the joints...as Stuart McRobert writes in his book Beyond Brawn.

Also if you stub your toe, it's not going to hurt nearly as much as it would if you were barefoot.

For those reasons...and sanitary ones, I never lift barefoot...but to each his own.

Thanks a HEAP Maki! I've been looking for something like these for a few months now, I though they were the nike free's - to my huge dissappointment.

That's really cool. I'm wondering if they would be legal in most powerlifting feds?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Iron4Life
    Maki, those are really great shoes... I got a chance last August to do a product comparison with them and the Mion (http://www.mionfootwear.com/products...nt_sandal.jsp).. over 5 days, doing light hiking, camping and beach walking - outdoor utility shoe... up at Acadia National Park in Maine.

It was a tough battle over which to buy.. I finally went with the Mion, mostly b/c I thought they would be more durable and there was a little more stablity on small rocky surfaces... for trails, beach, roads and for walking, they were awesome.

However... I've been battling whether to look at the Nike Free or these as gym shoes too (for a change of pace from my chucks).. I can't wait for your review... Eric Cressey has been talking up the Free for about a year... and it seems that everyone who has tried them in the gym love them.

Instead of "barefooted" I should have said "without shoes" because I keep my socks on when at the gym (not at home). I don't think that's unsanitary.

It feels more natural, and it has been suggested that there's less power loss when pushing through the floor since you don't have to push through the cushioned sole of your shoe. I can vouch for that because my deadlift feels much smoother now. I'll never deadlift in shoes again.

Safety is definately an issue. If you knew you were going to drop a 45 on your foot, would you prefer to have a shoe on or not? If you are going to squat on a smooth floor, would you prefer to have a soled shoe or not?

IMHO, it's important that you choose a shoe that doesn't have too much cushion, yet gives some arch support and a solid, stable surface to push on. I don't have any clue about the vibram five fingers - someone mentioned it to me on Sq Rx #8, or the Nike Free shoes, but make sure they fit that criteria.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    IMHO, it's important that you choose a shoe that doesn't have too much cushion, yet gives some arch support and a solid, stable surface to push on. I don't have any clue about the vibram five fingers - someone mentioned it to me on Sq Rx #8, or the Nike Free shoes, but make sure they fit that criteria.
    I love the Nike Free. They're a great shoe, but with that being said, there's a little too much cushion and heal lift for weight lifting in my opinion. I'll stick with my Chuck Taylor's for lifting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    I have been lifting barefoot for years, the weight room is right next to where we grapple and stuff at. I can really feel a differance in balance when I am driving with my heel with and without shoes. We have a towel on the floor (to wipe our feet) at almost every "station" with chalk next to it. The only exercise I prefer shoes on is OH Press...and to be honest I don't know why.

After looking more at the pictures of those shoes...I don't think I would like them. Plus I have Flintstone feet...size 14 and itty bitty toes!

I love squatting and dl in bare feet personally... I may have to read more about the vibram sock thingys.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre