Thread: Equipped Low Bar Squatting

Equipped Low Bar Squatting

I recently made the change to low bar squatting after almost 3 years of squatting high bar. Everything went pretty well until I finally decided to throw my straps up. I was unable to keep the bar in place with my straps up. I had no issues previously squatting high bar with straps up. I am using an IPF metal squatter, so no luck with velcro straps. Any tips on how to keep the bar in place with your straps up? Is there something I should be looking out for in particular, or is there just a longer adjustment phase?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    I recently made the change to low bar squatting after almost 3 years of squatting high bar. Everything went pretty well until I finally decided to throw my straps up. I was unable to keep the bar in place with my straps up. I had no issues previously squatting high bar with straps up. I am using an IPF metal squatter, so no luck with velcro straps. Any tips on how to keep the bar in place with your straps up? Is there something I should be looking out for in particular, or is there just a longer adjustment phase?
    There's definitely an adjustment phase. I've always squatted low bar, because high bar felt ghey to me. Basically, just chalk the s*** outta your back, get a good grip on the bar, try and bend it, squeeze the shoulder blades together, and squat.

It takes practice.....just like everything else.....so go practice.

Chalking +1.... your back and the bar if you really want.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    There's definitely an adjustment phase. I've always squatted low bar, because high bar felt ghey to me. Basically, just chalk the s*** outta your back, get a good grip on the bar, try and bend it, squeeze the shoulder blades together, and squat.
    Exactly. If you have a tight suit, the straps bearing down on your shoulders will make it harder to keep your upper back and arch tight, but with practice you should be able to maintain it.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys, I will work on it.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Actually, squatting on the box helped me the most. I set the height right where I wanted it for competition, and actually put the straps up. I'm actually gonna have to go back to this, because my squat is nowhere right now.

I'll adjust the straps so they sit almost off the shoulders a bit. Depending on the fit of the suit, you'll still get the same support but you can move the straps around and I found I could do better with the straps off a little so the bar sat more on my shoulder blades below my traps. This way the material of the straps don't get in the way and I can feel the bar on my back better.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.