The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

One armed snatches

I want to try these out as they seem fun. I would like to have someone teach me how to do it but I dont think thats possible. Are one armed snatches the type of excercise I can learn through the internet?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

cut block extraordinaire
    I think that they are a fairly easy lift to learn. Our football program uses them to help teach kids who cant snatch to well...snatch.

Start with the dumbell between your legs. Remember to push your hips back and keep an arch in your back. Im by no means an expert olympic lifter and Im positive that some one can describe the pull better than me, but I like the think mainly about snapping my hips hard and the rest will follow. Once you have pulled catch the dumbell above your head by getting hips down and back. You will be in a very similar position to that of your start.

Hope this helps.

Another thing to keep in mind is to keep the DB or BB close to your body, and keep your elbows high, almost like when pull-starting a lawn mower except straight up. You should not be pressing it out at the top with your arm, but rather you should dip under the weight once it gets to about shoulder level. "Snap" it up, don't press it. Once you get the technique down, it'll get much easier. I was up to 130lbs on one-arm snatches (with a barbell, which takes some balance!) and plan to start doing them again with the hopes of being able to do 135 for reps with a barbell. However, I'd start lighter, lke with say 60-70lbs to really get the form down.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Im going to stick to dumbbells first. And go even lighter than that to get the form down.

And when its at shoulder level, where is the power for the snap coming from? Not the arm...

To expand a bit. Start with the dumbell between the legs in a shoulder width stance. Keep your ass low and hips back, arm fully extended and shoulders forward.

Stand up as it to deadlift, legs then back then traps launching the weight up. Keep it close to the body, bend your arm at the last moment and catch the weight with your arm fully extended. Dip under the weight to catch it. It should all be one fluid movement.

If done right it should be fast and feel almost easy. Speed is a big part and as you learn you can duck further under it to allow lifting heavier weights.

^ Good synopsis. Guess he explained it better than I could. I just kind of taught myself how to do it and went by feel. Caught on pretty quick, though.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Not everyone can be so lucky Guido

I recently posted a link in the GPP forum that does an excellent job at coaching the 1 arm snatch ... as well as many other movements.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I did more snatches today and I think im getting the hang of it. I dont know if this is normal or not, but sometimes I try it and it feels perfect and others feel like complete ****. Its almost like rolling the dice.

That's normal, BF. It'll be like that till you really get the form down consistently because it is such a technique dependent lift.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal