The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My revised program Ideas.

Okay, after taking the information and suggestions from my other thread into consideration, I have come up with something I think will work well for reaching my goals.

My Goals are as follows:
    -Lose my gut/get more defined - I'm pretty average everywhere except for my stomach/abs area, which are somewhat fat covered...
    -Get Stronger - Pretty self explanitory
    -Get faster - also self explanitory, cant play basketball well if you are the last man back on Defense and the last one up on Offense.
    -Improve endurance - This is one of my biggest goals. No more feeling completely drained at Half-Time and no more missing perfect plays because I'm too tired to move fast enough.
    -DUNK - This one is my other big goal, and probably the hardest to reach, I have a pathetic 16 1/2 inch vertical without running, so I'd have to increase my vertical by at least 10 inches just to touch the rim. I'm hoping squats are gonna really help out here.

My program is as follows (its a mixture of what I've read of Starting Strength on here and WBB1.1)

Day 1/Monday:
    Squats: 5-8 reps, 3 sets
    Deadlifts: 5-8 reps, 3 sets
    Bench: 5-8 reps, 3 sets
    Ab Exercises - probably Swiss Ball Cable Crunches: 10 reps, sets until failure. (taken from WBB1.1)

Day 2/Wednesday:
    Squats: 5-8 reps, 3 sets
    Military Press: 5-8 reps, 3 sets
    Barbell Rows: 5-8 reps, 3 sets (I read these could be subbed for the Cleans, because it is an easier movement and safer for beginners, please correct me if I am wrong)
    Alternating Lunges: 5-8 reps, 3 sets.

Day 3/Friday:
    Standing Calve Raises: 5-8 reps, 3 sets
    Curl variation: 5-8 reps, 3 sets
    Dumbell Skullcrushers: 5-8 reps, 3 sets,
    Plyometrics exercise, need suggestions for these, as I still need to research them.

Does this look like a good, balanced workout? if not, what should be changed?
    Thanks for reading! I look forward to working out again.

PS: Sorry if this is a noob question, but how can I prevent myself from being sore after a workout?
    Last edited by Bassist-Dude; 07-30-2007 at 01:37 PM.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

BUMP!

35 views and no opinions or suggestions?

I'm starting next week on monday, and I need to know if what I've added is fine, or if I should just skip the extras and do the normal Starting Strength program.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Your day one looks a little too intense with all big 3 on there, and your day 3 looks too light. Balance that out.

Everything else looks okay. Try it out and see how you feel.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

You can either take ETS to get ride of DOMS (the soreness), or just suck it up and deal with it. They won't always be there - your body can get used to it.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Yeah I would switch squats and calf raises from days one and three...Other than that, looks pretty decent

Thanks for the tips. I will switch the Squats and Standing Calve Raises.

I took Day 1 and 2 from Starting strenght, then added the ab work to Day 1 and Lunges to Day 2. Then I kinda threw together Day 3 to hit the Arms a little better, cause I've got small arms, and its set up so that I can switch the arm excercises up until I find ones I really enjoy/work for me.

As for the muscle soreness, I guess I'll just suck it up until my body gets used to the work load.

I'm already looking forward to next monday... Should be a good time.

Hangar 18 - Journal

Diet?

Oh, for cardio stuff, try hill repeats - nothing has ever brought up my endurance base like I've done this year, and with minimal, but extremely effective cardio protocols.

"How to do Cardio if you MUST" - link's in my sig.

Hmm... Diet... thats a hard one, as I dont really have one set out solid at the moment.

I do try to avoid junk foods, and actually prefer to snack on carrots, grapes, or bannanas which I have been doing more and more lately.
    Here's my best shot at describing my diet:

Breakfast:
    Bowl of life or Post Selects Cranberry cereal
    Banana

Lunch:
    Sandwich, usually contains ham, turkey or chicken, along with lettuce and cheese.
    Apple

Dinner:
    My mom mixes it up a lot, but there is always some kind of meat, usually chicken or beef.
    Always some kind of veggie, usually carrots or beans, and the occasional salad
    Rice or noodles are a frequent food item
    I have a glass or two of milk along with dinner
    Whatever the meal is it covers the four food groups.

I've also recently tried to stop using ketchup as much.

Anything else:
    Any snacking I do is usually carrots, an apple, a banana, grapes, or sometimes a cookie (oatmeal and raisin ones are great).
    I dont drink coffee, or anything other than water or milk, but I do have one can of pop almost every week (movie nights on friday). I have started cutting back though.

Thats all I can really think of.

Could you give me some details on Hill Repeats? I practically live on a hill, so I could definitly find somewhere to do them, provided they arent a machine type cardio thing.

Hangar 18 - Journal

Sounds like you need more protein and more fat. Some diet info here if it helps, but I realize you eat what your parents feed you. Nothing wrong with a little ketchup, nothing wrong with raw nuts, peanut butter, butter and the odd egg yolk either.

Hill repeats are described in here.

If you want to jump higher, look into plyometrics.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Thanks Built, I'll start figuring out what I should be doing to improve my diet.

as for plyo, I am going to purchase the Vertical Jump Developement Bible by Kelly Baggett and take it from there.

Hangar 18 - Journal

I don't know how much you weigh or your BF%, but if you lose the flab, you'll probably have more endurance and jump higher... Except for day #3, your exercise selection looks pretty good. I'd substitute or add chins somewhere in there.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure how many chin ups I can do, but I will put them or the modified pull ups from WBB1.1 in on the 3rd day

I weigh in at around 155lbs, and body fat is something like 11%, but I got that number from Kelly Baggett's website, using the calculator there.

Hangar 18 - Journal