The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cutting Question

Greetings, All:

Just finished a mass phase as follows:

Weight = 197/218

Mass Diet:

Calories = 3,800
    Prot.= 225g (900)
    Fat = 100g (900)
    Carb. = 500 (2000)

Cutting Diet:

Calories 3,300
    Prot. = 240 (960)
    Fat = 60 (540)
    Carb.= 450 (1800)

I plan on initially sticking with the original cutting phase for 2 weeks then gradually decrease cal. around 100 p/week for another 6 weeks.

This is my first cutting phase, thoughts/suggestions/advice ?

Best Regards,

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Everybody's body is different and can handle certain things differently, but cutting, there is no way my body could handle that many carbs. If you're having some trouble cutting, first thing I'd do is cut some of the carbs.

PaddleSkiBikeClimbHikeLift Hunt's Avatar
    MRJ:

I am doing a cutting diet right now with my lifting and cardio routines (you can check all that info and diet thing in my online journal).

About 2.5 weeks ago I weighed 204.4# and decided to go with about 2200-2300kcal per day (depending on whether it was a lifting day or a rest day). I also decided to go for as close to 1.5g protein per pound of bodyweight as I could (I am currently getting somewhere around 275g protein a day). I would try to limit your carbohydrate intake to something at or below the # of grams of protein that you are eating daily.

If you are interested in a six meal eating plan - check my journal to find one - I put a couple of my full days meals in there. Hope this helps you out some bro.

MRJ:

I forgot to mention that often a good baseline for determining these things is:

Cutting: BW * 12 = calories needed
    Maintenance: BW * 15 = cals
    Bulking: BW * 20-23 = cals

These are all estimates - try something closer to your basal metabolic rate adjusted for activity level (there are many of these calculators available on the web) and then adjust up or down from there after you have given it a few weeks to work. Also, don't forget to continue lowering your calorie intake as you lose bodyweight - otherwise your loss will stagnate. Later.

Thanks for the response gentlemen.

I plan on gradually decreasing cals. as the weeks pass, but didn't want to get to crazy right away.

To heed your advice, yes, the majority of those cals. will be of the carb. variety.

This is my first cutting phase, though, and I'm a bit on the cautious side.

I'm only a week into the diet and I'm still feeling a bit dizzy from time-to-time throughout the day.
    Best Regards,

I'm with you bro on the dizzy phase - I had that for about the first ten days of my cutting routine and every once in a while I'll still feel a little bit off but it passes quickly. One other thing about your diet - maybe consider adding some more protein - I think that it is good to try and get a good amount (40-60g) per meal if possible (esp replace carbs with protein for meals later in the day). Hope things work out for you man.

Thanks MR Hunt:

As I begin chipping away at the diet in the quest to make it into a finished product I had two schools of thought:

Maintain the same caloric content, but decrease carb. grams and replace w/protein.

Lower the caloric content overall, but increase the amount of protein within that total. (i.e.- 3,300 cal. @ 30p/20f/50c to
    3,100 cal. @ 35p/20f/45c)

I plan on taking my time though, don't want to more damage than good.
    Best Regards,