The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the carb load up day necessary?

I started the keto diet on Monday. I planned on going 6 days with 20 or less carbs and then load on Sunday. From everything I have read, when you end the diet you should ease back into carbs so you won't gain back fat quickly.

My question is should I eat carbs my last day, but not go overboard, based on possibly gaining back any fat I might have dropped over the week.

Hence the question, is the load up day necessary, and if so, what for?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Tell me, what's your goal?
    I assume that you wanna reduce you bodyfat levels,isn't it?
    Well,if this is what you're looking for, and pressuming that you are natty (that you don't use anabolic steroids) I suggest you to stay in keto for up to 10 days and then have a good carb up day.

I warn you that your workouts may suffer from the abscence of carbs but you gotta be strong and follow the diet.

However if you can't stand the whole keto-situation for more than a week, then it's ok to have a carb up day, primaly to give you a mental boost. The process will be slower off course but the most important thing is to be on the road.

You hit the nail with the hammer! My goals are just that, to lose some bodyfat. I am all natural. Today is day 3, and though I am starting to feel sluggish, I feel I can continue. Now when I get to day 7 things might be different.

I guess I will have to wait and see how I feel when I get to day 7 and if possible, maybe go up to 10 days!
    Last edited by dojdave; 03-06-2002 at 05:18 AM.

That's right. Do the best you can do.

No, do the carb up. The carb up is really the only thing that will ensure that you don't lose muscle. Plus it will elevate leptin. And no the carb up won't make you fat.

CKD's aren't the muscle sparing diets they once were thought to be. Lyle Mcdonald even says that the only reason muscle isn't lost is due to the carb up on the weekends.

That's cool, because of course the carb up will be a nice ending to the week! What about easing back into carbs if I only try this for a week?

My plan was to try this and if it helped me drop a pound or 2 of fat, maybe try it again from time to time.

Currently, 6'0, 175 lbs. I just can't seem to get rid of those last couple of lbs around the midsection and figured I would try something new.

dojdave-
    I would go with it bro. Not only does it stimulate a highly anabolic hormones, insulin, but it also stimulates an extremely fat-burning hormone, leptin. It is also really a psychological relieving meal. Spaghetti, Gatorade, and some kind of sugary candy like Nerds or Sprees usually makes up my carb-up meal. VERY gratifying and makes my overall diet easy to stick to.

dojdave-
    By the way bro eating 1-2 big carb meals at the end of every 3rd or 4th low/zero-carb day is basically NHE, the diet I am currently doing, in a nutshell.

... See my journal in the Online Journals Board for more info, its pretty detailed.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-06-2002 at 07:07 AM.

State the reasons why you need an insulin rush every 3-4 days. If you want to take full advantage of the keto, you gotta stay in that state for up to 7 days.

Wizard-
    I was just talking about the similarity bro thats all. A ketogenic diet like a CKD etc. obviously it's important to get and stay into ketosis. With NHE ketosis isnt important. You practically never enter ketosis carbing up every 3-4 days.

... Sorry for any misconception.

Alright but he was talking about ckd. NHE is a good way to bulk up while maintaining your bf levels imo.

So Monstar, while doing this, do you seem to still be dropping a few lbs of bodyfat?

I will go check out your journel. Thanks for all the good info!

dojdave-
    Yeah bro feel free to post questions about NHE or anything like that in my journal. I would be glad to answer them. Yeah with NHE I have lost a total of around 33 lbs. so far. Also a good 4.5-5 inches off of my waist. So I know from experience, that NHE is the real deal.

IMO, for a bodybuilder, a TKD would be better than the CKD. For one thing, you have high GI carbs pre and post workout and <20g carbs on non training days, and you are able to go 2-3 weeks between carbups because you are getting the muscle glycogen for the workouts and then going back into ketosis shortly afterwards.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

If you have many pounds to get rid of,then go with nhe. Either way,ckd can bring you to hardcore single bf numbers.
    Last edited by Wizard; 03-06-2002 at 07:42 AM.

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    [BYou practically never enter ketosis carbing up every 3-4 days.

... Sorry for any misconception. [/B]
    Eh, i thought NHE is keto? no?

Don't eat the yellow snow

Qea-
    Nah NHE isnt a ketogenic diet at all.. I think that ketosis maybe entered but I mean its far from necessary. Ketosis isnt necessary with NHE at all. NHE works whether youll full blown in ketosis and if your not in it at all.

OK I'm really confused now. me understand this.

TKD - >20 g. of carbs daily
    high GI pre and post workout

CKD - >20 g. of carbs Mon- Fri
    Fri. night - Sunday morning carbup
    what do use for pre and post ?

Keto - 55% Fats / 40% Pro / 5% Carbs
    what do use for pre and post ?

Am I in the right track?

Prelude-
    Your right about a TKD. A CKD you dont take any carbs pre and postworkout. So thats what makes workouts on a CKD so tough. A ketogenic diet is a CKD and a TKD. Basically any kind of diet where FAT makes up the majority of the diet. Like the diet that you suggested. 55% fat, 40% protein, and 5% carbs.

Keto is 70% fat and 30% protein at most.
    The carbs have to be less than 20g.

TKD:5g of carbs for every set of 10 reps. (lyle may suggest less but it's ok).Usually before the workout.Not a big deal.

Keto is 70% fat and 30% protein at most.
    So, with Keto, CKD, and TKD you have to consume the above percentages during non w/o days?

TKD:5g of carbs for every set of 10 reps. (lyle may suggest less but it's ok).Usually before the workout.Not a big deal.
    So If I do 6 sets of two diff. exercises for chest and another 6 for tris, that would be 12 x 5g = 60g carbs. Now, is it better to have this 60g as a post w/o only or split up pre and post?

Also if you don't take any carbs post w/o, wouldn't you loose a lot of muscles that way? So, what do you use, protein and fats for post w/o?

"So, with Keto, CKD, and TKD you have to consume the above percentages during non w/o days?"

Right.

"So If I do 6 sets of two diff. exercises for chest and another 6 for tris, that would be 12 x 5g = 60g carbs. Now, is it better to have this 60g as a post w/o only or split up pre and post?

As I said it's not a big deal. Just notice that if you have the carbs before, you may perform a more intense workout."

"Also if you don't take any carbs post w/o, wouldn't you loose a lot of muscles that way? So, what do you use, protein and fats for post w/o? "

No,you won't loose muscle. Right,protein and fats.The fats will protect the protein and thus you ll achieve an efficient proteinosynthesis which means that you won t loose muscle.

No,you won't loose muscle. Right,protein and fats.The fats will protect the protein and thus you ll achieve an efficient proteinosynthesis which means that you won t loose muscle.
    By doing this, what will the body use to power your workouts?

How's this, let's say I do a 65/35 Fats, Pro from Mon. - Fri. and:

Mon
    Tues Shoulders/Legs Post w/o - 40g pro and 2tbsp flax oil
    Wed
    Thurs Morning Cardio
    Fri
    Sat Chest/ Tris and carb up all day
    Sun Back / Bis Post w/o - 40g pro and 2tbsp flax oil

With school and work, this is the best split I could come up with, would this work?

The body will use the carbs you consumed before the workout.

Do 70/30 it's better.

The carb up is best used in combination with a high reps--low intense-full body workout. Do that in Saturday and then do the Chest/Tris in Monday, Shoulders/Legs in Thusday, light cardio in Wednesday, back bi's in Thursday and light cardio in Friday. Sunday can be a rest day.

As much as I would want to work out during Mon. and Wed., I can't. I have to be at work and school all day and all night. How's this? Also, my post of 40g pro and 2 tbsp flax for Tues and Thurs. is ok?

Mon

Tues Chest / Tris / shoulders

Wed

Thur Back / Bis / Legs

Fri Light afternoon cardio (25 mins. @ 35-40% of my max, OK?)

Sat Morning Full body w/o ( high reps, low weights)
    Carb up the rest of the day (high and low GI)

Sun Rest (continue carb up until afternoon, OK?)